• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

black belly's by tessera ????

I think it's awesome looking. We've seen how the Tessera gene affects belly pattern- everything from plain bellies, checkered to checkers pushed to the sides forming thin stripes. I think this is just the EXTREME version of how the gene can affect it.

This animal was produced from a TESSERA x TESSERA breeding. To date I know of only 2 other Tessera X Tessera breedings (one KJ & I did year before last and one breeding by Don Soderberg). Although we didn't see any blackbellies, our result observations only covered those two litters.

I didn't do any Tessera X Tessera breedings this season- kinda wish I did- would love to produce a blackbelly Tessera!!!! I'm sure over the next few seasons we'll see these popping up with all the upcoming Tessera morphs projects!

AWESOME ANIMAL!

I guess this is the same snake, overhead look

Tessera8a.jpg

Wow. Hmmmm. What a uniquely wide mid-dorsal stripe. Usually only half-whole-half scale(s) wide.
Unless there is something 'light' there doing something. Like sunkissed(?). Heck, I am no tessera connoisseur.

How do you know it is the same snake?

Okay- so why is that not a "super" form???

Thats the thing Nanci- there's a chance it could be! Here in the states there has only been 2 Tessera X Tessera crosses (this breeding in Germany...from tesseras purchased from Don S.....represents the 3rd tessera x tessera cross). We didn't see anything like the outcomes/offspring- I would have expected to see something BUT then again, who knows. It is a VERY interesting animal- I think its a screamer...cool dorsal pattern---cool black belly--- I think the only way to show if it is a super or not is to grow 'em up and breed it.

I'm probably going to be sorry I asked this question, but can you only get a super Tessera from:

(Tessera x Tessera) x (Tessera x Tessera)?

not

(Tessera x non-Tessera) x (Tessera x non-Tessera)

?

I'm probably going to be sorry I asked this question, but can you only get a super Tessera from:

not

?

I am assuming a "super" tessera is one that is homozygous for the tessera gene, ie the snake is carrying two copies of the gene. Since it is a dominant gene, you get the phenotype even when it is in het form, ie the snake only has one copy of the gene. Therefore, you should be able to get the "super" form by pairing two het tesseras, getting a 1/4 chance of producing that super tessera. However, the only way to prove it is through breeding trials.

(Disclaimer - post written BC - before coffee - so if it's a bit "off", I'm not in my right mind, I'm in my left one)

not

?

If there IS such a thing as a "super form" of the Tessera, you'd get it by breeding two tesseras together (like the co-dom genes in ball pythons work).

Remember that so far Tessera is acting kinda all or nothing... NO HETS.. so breeding two Tesseras together should produce supers...so far nothing spectacular has popped out of Tessera X tessera breedings (except this amazing black belly one pictured in the thread).... Is that particular animal a super form or just an extreme version of how Tessera can affect belly pattern? Who knows.

Heck, I know that my 1/2 of the litter KJ produced (Tessera X Tessera) were sold as just Tesseras... I'm sure Don's were sold as just Tesseras also..... Will any of these animals prove out to be supers? Again- who knows. We'll see as more and more people start breeding tesseras... If you have a Tessera that when bred produces ALL tesseras then viola---only time will tell.

I had given up on thinking there might be a super form--- and I honestly doubt there is--- this black belly animal is probably just an extreme version of how Tessera effects belly pattern. Either way its gorgeous! Give everyone a few more years and everything will be sorted out!

Does the dorsal view of the above snake look typical to you, Graham?

No ma'am...it looks very different to me. I haven't seen one lor produced one like that yet. I believe TWO blackbellies were produced in that litter also.. I wonder what the dorsal on the 2nd one looks like. I have to say, I'm very jealous of that snake... NICE!

Back