• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blue Tegus

mrweaw

Branching out into geckos
Hey everyone,

We are thinking about getting a pair of Blue Tegus and are wondering if anyone knows a good breeder who has reasonable prices and can sex them before sending them to us. This is a compromise in our house. My BF likes monitor lizards but the one we have is EVIL and I am more into medium sized calm lizards. Tegus seem to be a good mix of size and temperament.

Thanks for your help!
Erin

Tegus, in my opinion, are a bit more difficult then monitors. As for aggression, they can be just as aggressive or docile as monitors. I've seen both types with monitors. The reason I feel tegus are a bit more difficult is that they have the longer more slender neck that can 'wrap around' when trying to bite you. Except for a lot of your water monitors, I believe most monitors have a short neck and are more easily controlled when holding to keep from getting bitten.

This is based on my experience handling Savannahs, white throats, B&W Tegus, Gold Tegus, and Dwarf Tegus.

D80

We have had a bit of experience with Red tegus and were happy with their temperaments as a general rule. I guess it would have helped if I had said that we have a Nile Monitor and although I know some people have "tamed" them, ours, or I should say the BF's, is the spawn of hell. I do appreciate the advice and I am hoping that someone at the shows this summer will have an adult or two that I can handle. I am more committed to handling my animals than he is, mainly because I have more time. With proper handling from an early age and on a regular basis, how difficult would you say they are to "tame"?

Personally, I've never owned one on a long term basis to comment on 'taming' them, but would view them as unpredictable regardless of how tamed they seemed due to their sharp teeth and rip/tear method of biting.

D80

Joejr14 said:
Yeah----ripping and tearing---no thanks!

:Shudders:

:pictures great big ARP teeth:

All monitors have teeth Joe. Our sav tore through leather and kevlar gloves when she was a juvie - only around 2' long or so. My boyfriend thought she broke his finger and we'd have to go to the ER and try to explain that one.

Erin - I don't think Niles are the best mointor to start out with. They have a reputation for being hard to take care of. Maybe ackies would be a better start or something similar.

~Katie

The Nile was definitely NOT my idea and I don't even like having him in the house. The thought of having to worry about it being 7 foot long and attacking one of my son's friends or eating my cat is not a happy one for me. Because of this I do not want another one but we both want a pair of larger lizards and were thinking Tegus were the way to go. Still haven't made up my mind yet as I think some further research is needed.

They're pretty bland, but Savannah Moniters appear to be the most docile of the monitors and get big enough.

D80

Back