• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

BRB Won't eat

ForTheHorde

Hey there. I bought a Brazilian Rainbow Boa last week and the handler I got him from had mentioned that the snake was being fed pinkies every Monday. I tried feeding him a warm pinkie yesterday (this is the second attempt) and he completely ignores it like it's not even there. I tried tapping his sides with is to get his attention and leaving it with him for about an hour or so and still nothing. Could this be because it's a thawed frozen? And the handler also mentioned him about to shed, could this be part of the issue? His humidity is stable around 80%. Too high? Low? This is my first snake so forgive me if these are obvious questions/answers. One last question, I'm currently using aspen substrate, is this ok to use or should I be using something else?
enu9unur.jpg
paty5yhu.jpg
are6a2ej.jpg

1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Silas)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I would let him settle in. There is detailed information on this in my personal forum here, but he needs to be left completely alone, no handling, no feeding attempts, for a week after he arrives.

Since he is blue, (in shed) I wouldn't even attempt to feed until after the shed. Out in the wild, blue snakes aren't hunting, they are hiding. So while an enthusiastic snake may eat while blue, it can and does cause the snake to regurgitate sometimes as well. The complications from a regurge far outweigh the benefits of feeding while blue. I actually can't think of a benefit other than artificially influencing weight gain/growth.

So then when you do attempt to feed, I would feed at night, when the snake is active. I would heat the pink not to warm, but to VERY hot, as hot as your tap water will go. Then I would place the snake in a small container with the pink, cover the container with a towel, and do not peek or check or disturb for one hour.

Ok thank you so much. I feel like a new parent stressing over simple things. Lol. About how long does the shed cycle take? And how often can I expect it?

Ahhh new parent anxiety. Totally been there. The complete cycle varies from snake to snake and species to species. Averages really between 5-12 days depending. I don't have any experience with BRB so I can't chime in on them specifically. Most corns have shed cycles near the shorter end of that range, while my boa can reach 14 days from blue eyes to shed skin.

I second what Nanci suggested. He needs a settle in cycle. I know it's hard not to fiddle with a new baby, but 7-10 days of no handling now will save you save you so much trouble down the road.

Ok. I just worry that he's not comfortable, drinking water, soaking. Hell, I'm worried about everything! I will leave him be for a while though. I pinky promise. I was mainly concerned about the eating part though. And so far he has a good temperament and I was afraid not handling him would effect that. Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Nah, don't worry, just let him normalize. Make sure he has water, but that's it. He's got to figure out all of his new surroundings and I'm sure his habits will level out. Don't worry about him going hungry for a little while either. I always skip a feed during the settling process. It's better for them to acclimate to their new home. I know waiting is hard, but it's the very best thing for him in the long run.

Ok, I have been giving him fresh water every day. The water bowl is about 1/3 his cage size and I have about half of it right where the heating mat is. Should I change that?

I keep the water off the UTH. One reason you may not have thought of is because if the thermostat controlling the UTH fails, and the snake gets too hot, the water bowl is the last refuge.

A snake with a pleasant temperament isn't going to lose it by not being handled, at least not for months or years.

I have several BRB's. Usually they are very eager feeders. I agree with Nanci, and waiting until he settles in and is not in blue. 4/5 of my BRB's will eat when in shed and only Grabiod will not, so you might have one that won't.

What is the temp? If you have a neonate (baby) the hot side should be between 78-80 degrees. If it is 85 or above, that could be a reason as well. Also, I would increase your humidity to 90%, neonates need a higher humidity level than adults do.

Enjoy your new addition :D

I've been keeping the temp stable around 80. And I will increase the humidity, I was wondering if I should or not. I will also use a small fuzzy when I do try and feed him next. Is there a difference between using mice and/rats? Should I switch between the two or just use one type?

Congrats on your baby. I have a ball python and she can be a fussy eater. She does not like an audience when she is dining. But she will also refuse maybe one or two feedings occasionally. But definately observe the no handling for a week. He does need to feel secure in his new home.

Thank you! I'm so excited to have him. And I'm leaving him alone now...even though it's killing me lol

Silas shed!! I woke up this morning and went to clean his water bowl and little hide out (I noticed last night he came out of the house and buried himself under the substrate) and I noticed something strange. I picked it up and it was a foot long piece of skin. Yay! And it all came off in one piece. So now, when should I attempt to feed him again? A couple days?

I've been keeping the temp stable around 80. And I will increase the humidity, I was wondering if I should or not. I will also use a small fuzzy when I do try and feed him next. Is there a difference between using mice and/rats? Should I switch between the two or just use one type?

Well eventually you will have to switch to rats when your little one gets big enough. Unless you want to feed Silas 2-3 mice in one feeding when he grows up. I would switch him to one rat pinky every 7 days once he can take a medium/large mouse fuzzy easily.

Thank you guys very much. And thank you for the link, I've been reading on there and it is very helpful :)

Back