• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

breeding mice

JPENA

I just went out and bought two female mice and one male I have them in a ten gallon tank. How long am I looking at till I get my first litter,and do I need to do anything special? :rolleyes:

New to this myself, used to breed gerbils, but mouse pregnancy approx 21 days. My pair were at it as soon as introduced, they seem to know what they're doing :)

Mice

JPENA said:
I just went out and bought two female mice and one male I have them in a ten gallon tank. How long am I looking at till I get my first litter,and do I need to do anything special? :rolleyes:

I keep 4 or 5:1 in a 10 gallon without difficulty. It really depends upon the size of the mice you purchase. For my first colony I bought almost full grown mice and two delivered within two weeks, or thereabouts. They were small litters, 4 for the first and 5 for the second female. From what I understand, that is pretty normal for a first litter, I'm hoping their next litters are bigger, for sure :D

Most reccomendations for feed are the basic blocks suspended so they don't defecate on their food. In addition I add a seed mixture because the fat content is higher so the mommies get more.

I also make sure each colony has a (non-squeeky) wheel to run on - they really do well when they can run. It also seems to calm them so they are easier to handle.

I really enjoy breeding the mice, and pick for color and temperament. If they bite, well they get introduced to one of my bigger snakes.

Hope this helps!

-Tonya

I have them in a heated room where my water heater is in.Do I need to leave a light on or are they ok in the dark?

JPENA said:
I have them in a heated room where my water heater is in.Do I need to leave a light on or are they ok in the dark?

They burrow, so I would imagine they are fine in the dark - I understand they run on normal day/light schedules night/dark schedules. Does your room have a window that gives some light?

I keep mine in my snake room which is on the first floor of my house. The room faces west so it gets some diffused afternoon sun. I keep the shades wide open so the snakes and mice get "normal" day/night cycles. Nobody gets actual direct sunshine.

Perhaps other members can add some information about keeping mice in a totally dark room??

-Tonya

Wow. Mice in a totally dark room. They'll forever be perpetually having sex. OR die early. Has anyone seen the movie "People Under the stairs"? If we keep our mice like that, they'll die early, may not produce mice. My parents tried this on a 1:1 colony when I was younger. Its not natural for them. (well maybe the Field and deer mice up here yes because we get some pretty short days.) But from knowing from experience. Its better to keep them in some light thats on a schedule. Its basically for their health and their mind. I know I put my rats in my closet once because a friend came over and they went completely nuts. (I'm not doing that again)

But if you wish to try it out, go for it. As for a room with a water heater. How hot does it get in there. Because,to much heat and mice won't produce. Or if they do. It'll be smaller litters. I mainly say this because mice breed at night, and at night there are cooler temperatures. And if their in a room thats hot 24/7 they might not breed. With snake breeding we try to simulate spring. With mice we try to simulate a perfect night time cool situation. So if that room gets pretty warm. I'd say nix that idea and put them in a cooler room.

Just my .02

Back