• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Brumation Cooler?

MoneyStax123

Yeah, I'm Obsessed. And?
Hey. I live in NY and the winters too cold to brumate my snakes in a shed or outdoors while there is too much heat in the house to brumate them. Unfortunately I do not have a basement either. So I was wondering if there was like a type of cooler or chiller with temp control that I could put my snakes in to brumate them. I would appreciate it if someone would help. Thanx... Steven O.

Just wanted to say hi I'm over in Liberty NY about 1 hr away. I have mine brumating in my basement so can't help you in that way. I'll be breeding after they come up are you also planning on breeding? I f not you don't need to brumate.

How about an old refrigerator. You could put it outside and then add a small heating element like a ceramic heater or Flex Watt heat tape.

Just wanted to say hi I'm over in Liberty NY about 1 hr away. I have mine brumating in my basement so can't help you in that way. I'll be breeding after they come up are you also planning on breeding? I f not you don't need to brumate.

Yes actually i was planning on breeding next year if i get them brumated effectively. I heard of some type of wine cooling fridge that i could possibly use. Is there anyone who knows more about this?

And i could not possibly put my snakes anywhere outdoors with all these children and teens around that have no respect for the property of others.

Yes actually i was planning on breeding next year if i get them brumated effectively. I heard of some type of wine cooling fridge that i could possibly use. Is there anyone who knows more about this?
And i could not possibly put my snakes anywhere outdoors with all these children and teens around that have no respect for the property of others.
It may already be to late to brumate. I wouldn't recommend putting outside our temps are well below freezing at night. You don't need to brumate to breed but if you would like possibly in this coming fall we can arrange something with boarding in my basement I have more then enough room & the temps are great.

Your house is too warm to brumate? I sure would hate to see your heating bill! I'm sure you can find the coldest stop in your house (closet in the room furthest from the heat, bathroom, under the stairs, wherever) where the temps stays in the low 60's, which is just fine to brumate in.

Your house is too warm to brumate? I sure would hate to see your heating bill! I'm sure you can find the coldest stop in your house (closet in the room furthest from the heat, bathroom, under the stairs, wherever) where the temps stays in the low 60's, which is just fine to brumate in.

I pay my heating bills so I'm not walking around in a Bermuda shorts but aren't the temps "we" are shooting for in the low 50's??? I would love to brumate my two corns but can't figure where.

I pay my heating bills so I'm not walking around in a Bermuda shorts but aren't the temps "we" are shooting for in the low 50's??? I would love to brumate my two corns but can't figure where.

Ideal temp averages at 50ºF, but the range can be from 45ºF to 65ºF per Kathy Love's The Corn Snake Manual page 43 with the occasional spike into the 70's. And I grew up in New York, so know that you can get cool spots in a house that are definitely cool enough for brumation. You just have to find them. Heck, I live in Florida and the master bath and master closet have been cool enough for brumation many a year. I currently have all my adults in the house as we've had a warm spell after the really cold spell and instead of moving them around, I know they'll be fairly constant until the weather makes up it's mind what temp it wants to be until it's time to bring them out of brumation.

I live in CT, and my home is very well insulated. Admittedly, I like things cool, so my indoor temps are in the mid 60s-- just above the upper range for good brumation. But I have ground-based kitchen cupboards and closets that are adjacent to outdoor walls where the temps are perfect during brumation months (mid to upper 50s).

Check the temps in your cupboards that are on outside walls. I learned that from Roy Munson. It might be cool enough in there.

thank you all for your help. i guess il just have to take temps all around and find the coolest spot. and i do not pay a heating bill. i live in an apartment complex where i only pay rent and cable and i do not pay utilities. they give us heat and the problem is they control it too.

oh that sucks didn't see you had no attic lol well maybe somebody else has the same problem but they DO have an attic best of luck to you !

thank you all for your help. i guess il just have to take temps all around and find the coolest spot. and i do not pay a heating bill. i live in an apartment complex where i only pay rent and cable and i do not pay utilities. they give us heat and the problem is they control it too.

Let me know if you want to try boarding in the future if you can't find a spot. We could always meet around Middletown on a weekend, or you could come :shrugs:check out my house.

Let me know if you want to try boarding in the future if you can't find a spot. We could always meet around Middletown on a weekend, or you could come :shrugs:check out my house.

Thanx for the offer but no thanx. Id much rather find a way to do it in my own house and if thats not possible then my uncle lives 3 blocks away and he has a basement. Ive just been trying to find a way to do it in my house. It would be much easier on my part.

Back