• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

BUF gene

If you want to know what the Corn Snake Community is, well I logged into a different forum today, I had not been there since January 6th, that site had all of 65 threads with a new post in them, of which about 15 were ads by Joe Pierce of all people. This site has over a hundred threads with new posts in the in less than a 24 hour period. Just saying, if the community is to be convinced, it should be as much of it as possible.
I am not sure we should count post like this and other similar post as being educational or even interesting:http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96580

The Buff gene answers questions about the yellow het Caramels, that have been ask on this forum for many years. A dominant gene, you can see in f1 every time. Caramel X whatever, no yellow offspring, no Buff gene.

I have read the 2010 Edition of the Cornsnake Morph Guide. There is simply no other better source of up to date information about Corn Snake genetics. I hightly recommend it!

Hmmm.......

:shrugs:I guess my Caramels carry the buf gene, cause all the babys they throw from projects, are easily distinguishable from the other normals het for other genes. This also holds true for Bloodred ,the normals that are het for Bloodred are also distinguishable. I am lucky, I suppose since labeling them dont always work out that well when working with a large number of animals.I would like to see some normals or other morphs,het for Caramel that dont have a Buf look to them (yellowish)...........:shrugs:

One thing struck me about the buf matriarch. She was the only buf baby out of 21 (as I recall). And neither parent looked buf or orange. If one of her parents was an unrecognized buf, then I would have expected closer to 50% of the babies to be buf or orange.

So far, I have four possible explanations:

1. The buf gene was a mutation that took place in a cell line either the father's testes or the mother's ovaries.

2. Buf can show incomplete penetrance -- genetics or environment causes a genetic buf to look normal. But if so, why were the genetics ratios close to the expected in the buf matriarch's descendants?

3. Really bad luck.

4. Nonrecognition due to inexperience on slangenbroed's part at that time. I mean no offense. I am just trying to cover all possibilities.

Jan, did you ever mate the buf matriarch's parents again?Now i bred them one year and sold them after that year . Did you mate the matriarch's parents to any other snakes? If so, did they produce any more buf babies? If either or both of the matriarch's parents produced more bufs, that would help to answer Rich Z's question about how wide spread the buf gene is.

Another question. In 2009, there were a couple of matings of snakes. One parent had buf among the genes, and the other parent had a gene combination that included caramel. I have not seen any posts containing the results of those matings. Is there any chance of posting them here?

Thanks in advance.
http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96347

I am not sure we should count post like this and other similar post as being educational or even interesting:http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96580

Ditto on yours! Oh, and if you don't like the content in the GCC forum, just stay out of it. Are you saying that mikes 65 count (I didn't confirm it) includes ZERO off-topic posts? Serious question - honest. I'm curious. Not curious enough to go look, but I'm still curious.

I have read the 2010 Edition of the Cornsnake Morph Guide. There is simply no other better source of up to date information about Corn Snake genetics. I hightly recommend it!

Sure, as long as you prefer FIRST over ACCURATE and CONFIRMED, eh?

Joe, so glad to see you around here, you must know though, that this site is not always as "friendly" as other sites. Disagreements are actually allowed, they are monitored though, and the mods do a pretty good job of that.

Well Joe, about that post, it was in the "General Chit Chat" forum, which is for, well general chit chat. You can talk about pretty much anything in there. In your absence we have talked about all kinds of things in there, everything from boas and pythons to Barrak Hussain Obama (which I have writ in red, as I think he is a communist) to the use of the word "retarded" and yesterday, the celebration of a great man (Chuck Norris) as well as many other things. You see people are not chastised for posting things that are not cornsnake related on cornsnakes.com, the same cannot be said for another forum, that you have apparently been pretty active in. Must be nice to buy/sell/trade with the site operator while you were "detained".

Now if you really want to bring up other threads, I guess I will bring up this one: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111064&highlight=pierce

This thread I linked to is about how you screwed Rich Hume, and as of yet have not payed him in full. Apparently, you were "detained" for a while, but you have yet to reply to those who have questions for you over on the BOI. Some pretty valid questions over there are "will you pay Rich back with interest" and "will you pay back those who got 'hets' from you that were in fact not hets at all".

The Buff gene answers questions about the yellow het Caramels, that have been ask on this forum for many years. A dominant gene, you can see in f1 every time. Caramel X whatever, no yellow offspring, no Buff gene.

It is still not proven that buff is not related to or even part of the caramel gene. it is far to early to confirm that it is indeed a new "morph", much more work still needs to be done. On top of that, even if it is a new morph who cares, it looks like many that are het for caramel, it adds absolutly nothing new to the cornsnake world. Kinda like lava, nothing new, its just a hypo. Lavender and cinder are really the only "true" new morphs that have added something different that what we already have, in the last 10 years.

A high school biology book would be easier to understand how to do a punnet square. And KJ said it better than I could have:

Sure, as long as you prefer FIRST over ACCURATE and CONFIRMED, eh?

All that being said, I heard someone say once; "a thief that pays back what he stole is still a thief".

I have read over the links that Kathy posted a few days ago. From the data there, I agree with Chuck Pritzel's conclusions.

As Chuck wrote, the question of whether the buf gene and the caramel gene can be in the same gene pair is still up in the air as far as we know. However, according to one of the links, in the 2009 season, Slangenbroed had eggs from two matings, butter het motley x orange and golddust motley x orange. These matings could have already answered the question.
Paulh, is the genetic expert on this forum, who I respect the most. He is obviously very knowledgeable about the subject.

He is always polite and attempts to answer even the most simple questions. He also has the answers to the most complex questions we ask.

A new dominant gene, will take some time to understand, just like our alleles, Ultra/Amel, and Motley/Striped. Tessera is easy to see, but it takes more expertise to see Buf.

Chuck Pritzel, has been there all along helping the Corn Snake Community, figure out these genes, so we can predict our breeding results. He started with Diffused, help us understand Ultra/Amel and Motley/Striped, which now are all common knowledge, and now I see Masque and Buf as new subtle genes,.

I see Masque, and Buf in my collections all the time, or mimics of them, don‘t you?
I didn't say this was Caramel. I'm saying that the animal my Caramels CAME from looked just like that. So perhaps "Buf" actually is a new gene, and the animal I got was actually this genetic type and happened to be carrying Caramel as well. Or perhaps there is something else going on whereby Caramel combined with something else actually makes this "Buf" looking animal. At this point, I believe it would be wise to just keep an open mind till more evidence surfaces.

One fly in the ointment is that I find it really strange that no one, as far as I know of, has ever caught a Caramel in the wild around the Ft. Myers area. Of course, perhaps people are catching "Bufs", but quite honestly, most people wouldn't notice too much about it differing from standard looking corns, I believe. It IS a rather subtle look......

Yes, I read that, but the only statement concerning ancestry that jumps out at me is this one:

I'm just curious if there has been any tracking back to see where the stock may have originated from.

The reason I am curious is because I believe I have seen animals like that at my facility over the years, but just never paid attention to them (they were too close to being normal looking to catch my eye), and am curious if it was something that tagged along with the original Caramel carrier. Depending on how long ago this trait developed might tell a lot about how widespread it really is.

My guess is that it is VERY widespread but not recognized by most people.......
Here is another expert in our Corn Snake Community. I think Rich is right about the Buf and Caramel genes originating in his Caramel line, or he combined them over the years by selective breeding. If it is not the Buf gene, it is a perfect mimic.

Thread after thread has been started on this forum talking about Het Caramels being very yellow. I have stated before in these threads that I thought a yellow causing gene of some type has been bred into the Caramel line and it seems to be co-dominant or dominant, but everybody wants Caramel to be co-dominant so they can pick out the possible het Caramels. The answer to all of these threads is Buf or a mimic.

My first experience with Caramel was with Butter Motleys and Striped Butters I bought from Rich Z. I create a lot of projects, so one of my first with Butter Motley was to breed them to a Wild Line Lava (Jasper County, SC, Okeetee type bloodline) to create a Het Lava Butter Motley Project. The entire clutch was extremely yellow and some were very red as well. ACR 2087 and ACR 2088 were the two males I held back for this project.

Their phenotype was nothing like what I expected from a Motley X Okeetee Corn breeding that are het Lava Butter Motley, all recessive genes. There seemed to be some obvious dominant influence from some subtle genes in F1. Everybody has been kissing off these subtle gene influences and grouping them into the category of “selective breeding“. Each and every time I create a project with one of Rich Z’s homo Caramel morphs, I get either 50% or 100% high yellow offspring in F1. This is exactly what is happening with the Buf gene, and I think just about everybody has the gene in their colony, or something very similar.

Subtle genes are just as deserving of morph status, as are the obvious ones, it just take a little more understanding and expertise to see them. Diffused was right under our noses for many years and said to be caused by “selective breeding”, before someone with a little more insight joined our Corn Snake Community. The same is the case for Masque and Buf.

I credit Jan for discovering and proving out Buf, but why didn’t any of you when it was or is right under all of your noses. I could have proved it out too, if it is one and the same as the gene I got from Rich Z along with my Butters, but it was not important enough to me, because it was subtle. It was important enough to Jan and I thank him for answering one of the many questions I have about our Corns that is always attributed to “selective breeding”.

There are a lot of layers of color and pattern that subtle gene can have an influence over. Some of the layers can come off or be put on, to create different looking morphs. One layer I see often is a thin layer of red color right on the top of all colors, like red cellophane. I have started calling them “Redcoats“. A lot of people have seen them in their collections, because Redcoats can come from many lines, they have just called them something else, like Florescent or Cherry or many other names, for the same subtle gene, that is in most of our collections.

ACR 2088 is probably a Redcoat Buf, het Lava Butter Motley and he has some type of pattern modifier too. ACR 2087 has the same pattern, and would be a Buf in this example without the redcoat, so you can see the pattern better. How did I get that from a breeding between a Wild Lava X Rich Z Butter Motley? Most likely, there are three dominant subtle genes involved. Buf, Redcoat, and a pattern modifier. I would say the Buf and pattern modifier came from Rich Z and the Redcoat was in both lines. It is not just “selective breeding” or “clutch variation“. Subtle genes exist and more will be found I am sure, because they are already here.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the same questions remain about buf as about amel, anery, motley, or many of the others listed above. The reasonable questions have been answered for most of these listed traits.

I've followed the buf discussions as they occurred, difficult though that was at times. I've read the links Kathy posted. I don't agree that the standard was set any higher for this than for anything else. The difficulty with this one (IMHO) can largely be traced to the fact that the expression of buf is subtle and potentially open to interpretation by the observer.

I've never said that buf wasn't something new or something that merited exploration, but I still have some of the same questions I've always had, to wit:

I don't understand how "buf" has blown into such a divisive issue, either. Science includes vital, occasionally vituperative discourse but this topic seems to generate more venom than I can figure out.

The buf matriarch is known to have been het caramel. :smash: still haven't seen a cross that excludes the possibility that buf is anything other than a phenotypic expression of caramel given a name by an astute observer, much like sunglow.

...Thread after thread has been started on this forum talking about Het Caramels being very yellow. I have stated before in these threads that I thought a yellow causing gene of some type has been bred into the Caramel line and it seems to be co-dominant or dominant, but everybody wants Caramel to be co-dominant so they can pick out the possible het Caramels. The answer to all of these threads is Buf or a mimic....

...It is not just “selective breeding” or “clutch variation“. Subtle genes exist and more will be found I am sure, because they are already here.

Good post Joe, and sorry for not including most of it. I just dislike quoting long posts.

Selective breeding is nothing more than selecting for specific genes and gene combinations to achieve a specific look. We have no idea if something is controlled by one or more specific genes until we think we've isolated it by how it's reproduced under controlled conditions.

I've bred enough sibling het caramels to know that not all of them can be identified by an increased amount of yellow. It very well may be buf making the difference. I can definitely see a difference is some of Jan's snakes, not all of them, but then, there may still be something to being het caramel that causes the difference between a caramel, a buf, a buf caramel, a het caramel, a het buf caramel and a buf het caramel. Could buf be part of what is confusing those breeders working with the "mystery" line? Was it buf that helped make the Tequila sunrise line what it is?

You're working on the Redcoat gene(s) and other breeders, whether they know it or not, have been working on isolating several pink producing genes (it has already been shown that some high pink snows - neons, bubblegums, etc - have not been compatible). Carol has probably isolated the gene(s) to create a solid silver ground color. She's outcrossed her Miamis to other lines, for example, cinder, and has already reproduced stunning Miamis with a silver ground color in F1 and F2 generations.

What gene(s) are present that produces the lovely peach and orange tones in some lavenders and dilute anerys, but not in all of them? And to make matters even more complicated, perhaps some of these lesser genes are being masked by another gene or gene combination.

Now my head hurts...again...

Hey Joe, if you ignore your past it will not go away.

But I digress, this thread is about "buf" after all.
I see Masque, and Buf in my collections all the time, or mimics of them, don‘t you?

This line says it all, who cares? If it is a "new" gene we all have it.

And, just curious, Joe, do you know what a poly-genetic trait is?

Nice soliloquy joe. Unfortunately, you're not addressing the real issue that you need to address. Liars (100% hets that aren't?) and thieves (Rich H. ring a bell?) have to atone for themselves sooner or later.

Interesting choice of word "respect". How about you model yourself after Paul and answer to the simple and complex questions that have been asked of you . . . for 3 years? You could start here: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111064&highlight=pierce
Paulh, is the genetic expert on this forum, who I respect the most. He is obviously very knowledgeable about the subject.

He is always polite and attempts to answer even the most simple questions. He also has the answers to the most complex questions we ask.

Hey Joe, if you ignore your past it will not go away.

But I digress, this thread is about "buf" after all.

This line says it all, who cares? If it is a "new" gene we all have it.

And, just curious, Joe, do you know what a poly-genetic trait is?

Nice soliloquy joe. Unfortunately, you're not addressing the real issue that you need to address. Liars (100% hets that aren't?) and thieves (Rich H. ring a bell?) have to atone for themselves sooner or later.

Interesting choice of word "respect". How about you model yourself after Paul and answer to the simple and complex questions that have been asked of you . . . for 3 years? You could start here: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111064&highlight=pierce

You guys have apparently not been keeping up with the news. I haven't checked Fauna and the BOI to see if he's posted anything there, but he did post on that other site. This is copied directly from a thread in his forum there:

Auctions
I will begin Auctions where 50% of the final bid excluding shipping cost will be sent directly to Rich Hume’s PayPal account. I am fully responsible for the debt owed to him. CornSnakesAlive retail stock will be sold this way until the debt is paid.

The reasons for my disappearance are many and all my fault. I accept full responsibility. For personal privacy issues, the details will be withheld, except I will say that I was detained for a short time to correct some of my mistakes I have made in life. This is behind me now and I would like to begin making things right with Rich Hume, financially anyway, and try to become an accepted member of the Corn Snake community again.

I would like to thank (site name deleted) and it members for allowing me to begin correcting my mistakes of the past one step at a time.

I personally checked out his auctions there and the payments were set up so half would go directly to Rich Hume's PayPal account.

Now if either of you have an issue to settle with Joe, I would highly recommend that you contact him to set it straight as it would appear that he IS trying.

You guys have apparently not been keeping up with the news. I haven't checked Fauna and the BOI to see if he's posted anything there, but he did post on that other site. This is copied directly from a thread in his forum there:
Fully aware of that information Susan. I find it interesting that he's paying back 50%, why not 100%? Is he paying 3 years worth of interest? Why hasn't Rich H. spoken up on the matter. The ""fact"" that Rich is okay with this arrangement is secondhand hearsay for one, and for two, I'm sure he is fine with getting any kind of money he can get. But what are his real feelings on the matter? I think Tom was in touch with him (Rich) recently (like within the past two weeks or so) and indicated there was no new news, and all of a sudden things are cool?

What I don't get is why everyone is seemingly okay with someone stealing someone elses property and coming back 3 years later as if everything is okay. I'm all for forgiveness, but he's lining his own pockets under the pretense of paying Rich back for something that should have been righted 3 years ago. And I'm just talking about Rich Hume. I had no idea until the past week that there were people with misidentified animals as well as animals with wrong genetics. Or am I off base here? Or is it not as important because it's cornsnakes and not chris johnson's ball pythons?

Of course the next question is why bring it up here and not the BOI? Well, he's obviously not posting there. He is actively posting here . . . and elsewhere.

I'll stop if you request it, but I think people on this board need to be reminded until full atonement is made and then we can discuss forgiveness. There are good, fully honest, responsible people here, and elsewhere, that work their asses off to create a good name for themselves and it's a daily struggle. Why does this guy get an apparent free pass . . . for the second time? (Remember Kat??)

:shrugs:
D80

Ummm.........

I agree with Brent............................:cheers:
I know there alot of OTHER, unhappy campers involved!
Sorry for going off topic on Buf.............

There are good, fully honest, responsible people here, and elsewhere, that work their asses off to create a good name for themselves and it's a daily struggle.

Oh Brent, you have no idea of how this rings so true to me... If people would notice what I notice, I am sure they would feel the same type of disappointment I do..

Regards... Tim of T and J

Again, sorry for the :-offtopic but I get the strong impression from Joe's post that he was in trouble for a great deal more than what happened with Rich Hume and the other people with snake issues. The details aren't there, but when one says they have been "detained for mistakes they made", the first thing that jumps into my mind is prison. If that was the case, he really couldn't do anything for the 3 years we never saw or heard from him. There may be mitigating circumstances surrounding all of this that we are not aware of.

Yes, he was on the boards for a good while without attempting to make amends and that was wrong. Yes, he hasn't bothered to make any form of explanation or apology in any place other than that site. Yes, we have not heard from Rich Hume about how he feels about what is going on. Yes, Joe has those other issues that need to be dealt with. However, he has made a start and I must give him credit for that. He does have a right to keep half of the money from the sales to cover expenses and keep what business he has afloat. He still has a long way to go to regain even half of the respect he once had, but if the rest of the snake community would put the tar, feathers, flaming torches and pitchforks down, they might get a better response from him. We can still hold onto the noose in case we need it later on.

If that was the case, he really couldn't do anything for the 3 years we never saw or heard from him.
He's admitted as much that he has though Susan! He publicly has stated that he both purchased at least one snake and sold at least one snake to charles in 2008. He also has been sharing his breeding efforts through 2009. It's pretty obvious that him being """detained""" did not deter him from running his business as far as breeding efforts go, and I'd bet that there are quite a few wholesalers that have snakes produced by him over the past 3 years. His auctions are year, or two year, old snakes? How did they happen if he was """detained""" and couldn't do anything?? Whether he, or someone else, was doing the work. The fact is, his """business""" didn't falter while he was """detained""".

I'd bet he wasn't in prison. Detained is a good word to grab onto considering the rumors he's heard about himself over the past three years . . . while hiding and silent and holding onto someone elses money/property.

There are people in this community that have done less and been treated with more than this guy. Why the free pass? Is it the Lava gene? Is it because he can write long winded posts about cornsnakes and genetics and space garbage (hmm, space garbage, interesting)? What is it that grants this guy the free pass?

As one of those people that works very hard to do things honestly and upfront, this is a slap in the face. There seems to be a few more peeking their heads out to comment in agreement as well. That's good to see.

D80

Back