• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Buf v.s Toffee

slangenbroed

i had the chance to see Toffee for the first time in live, so i took a buf from my stock, and the camara!
My buf is from Buf het lavender-amel-anery x Buf het amel.
The Toffee is from Auratum het blood-anery-stripe x Normal ( from oketee line )
When i saw the Toffee, i thought, ok this is a Toffee, i was not impressed, i was expecting something else.
There are simularities with Buf and Toffee, when i look into my stock with other buf's, from other lines.
I think the ancestors from theese animals gave a different look in the phenotype.I hope to find out, if its the same.
Its maybee not the best pic to compare, but the only one i have.

Attachments

• buf toffe.jpg
    buf toffe.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 149
  • toffebuf.jpg
    toffebuf.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 150
Personally I think both those are beautiful.

I don't know very much about the buff & toffee gene, but it's interesting to see different pics of them.

Last season I decided at the last mintue to pair up one of my Kisatchie females with a striped butter (really want to breed some Chocolate Stripes!). I was rather surprised when the eggs finally hatched, and all the babies looked simalar to Caramels. I suspect this is because the Kisatchie colouring is "polygenic" (as apposed to dominant)

I didn't intend to go off topic. It's just that after seeing these babies, I often find myself wondering if there is any kisatchie blood involved in some of these buffs / toffees.

Here are some pics of the babies from the Kisatchie x striped butter clutch:

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 145
Personally I think both those are beautiful.

I don't know very much about the buff & toffee gene, but it's interesting to see different pics of them.

Last season I decided at the last mintue to pair up one of my Kisatchie females with a striped butter (really want to breed some Chocolate Stripes!). I was rather surprised when the eggs finally hatched, and all the babies looked simalar to Caramels. I suspect this is because the Kisatchie colouring is "polygenic" (as apposed to dominant)

I didn't intend to go off topic. It's just that after seeing these babies, I often find myself wondering if there is any kisatchie blood involved in some of these buffs / toffees.

Here are some pics of the babies from the Kisatchie x striped butter clutch:
In the buf line there is no emory involved, i bred this line now for 10 years.
Its not a hybrid, its pure corn.

The buffs and toffees have drastically different phenotypes as adults. They are most decidedly NOT the same gene.

The buffs and toffees have drastically different phenotypes as adults. They are most decidedly NOT the same gene.

Based onn the phenotype as adults, is not correct.
1.How many dominant treads are there
Buf---- Tesserra------Toffee
Buf from Holland
Tesserra From the states
Toffee from germany
Buf and Toffee look the same as hatchling , and have the same marks to see wat is the gene and what is a normal one.Breeding from me from the last 7 years, breedings from charles Pritzel and the breedings from, Thorsten.
2.Buf and Toffee are born in 150 km from each other, and i think the origan could be the same .
3. I saw almost all the bufs there are, and from different lines, and there are to much simularities, in the phenotype there is the different.
But take a animal from a oketee line and a miami line, ore one from a lavender and one from a caramel line the phenotypes are different, that is what happens here.
4.I saw pics from breedings into other colours, amel- ultramel, anery, and now the phenotypes are almost the same !!!!

Breedings in the future will bring more light into this, but to say (They are most decidedly NOT the same gene ) ??????????
And i wanted to share this , becouse this is the first time that it was posible to take a pic together, not the best as i said before, but i had one buf and one toffee to compare.

Greatings

Jan

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately here in SA there are no buff genes (certainly not that I know of), so I don't have any personal experience with them whatsoever. In retrospect, I realise I was a bit out of line making that comment (especially since I'm unfamiliar with the gene).

Looking forward to learning more about these new genes in the future.

I don't believe you have enough evidence or experience to make this statement.
You might want to go argue with a few others, such as Don, who believe they are most likely the same gene; just with different influences in the lineages.
It's one thing to debate, but another to make blatant statements when there's clearly not been enough research or comparisons to do so.

Okay, let me re-phrase:

Based on the animals currently presented, those specimens available look very very different from each other.

Buff looks like a "het caramel", or even more traditional caramel, though it isn't, as an adult based on the adults seen. This was part of the issues with buff. It is a caramel 'mimic' based on what has been presented.

Toffee as adults have a very interesting brick color to the saddles, and orange-brown ground color. Different colors entirely from the buffs.

I wrote this on a other forum, but its not wrong to place it here and get opinions.
To the testbreeding
Buf and Toffee are both dominant
The hatchlings look the same , only as adult ore subadult there comes the different,and that becouse of the breedinglines. I think it could be the same, based on what i saw.The testbreeding wil gave us
1. We get two phenotypes ( Normal and the gene )( the gene wil be a merge from the penotypes buf and toffee
2. We get Four phenotypes ( Normal- Buf-Toffee and Buftoffee )( Buf and Toffe make something new but still there must be Buf and Toffee)

1. Its the same
2. Its not the same

I vote for 1.
50% change but i go for 90 %

But as a breeder i hope on 2. becouse there is nothing wrong with a new gene , it give us a hole new range of options.

There are other possibilities, but that goes deep.
Becouse of the dominant gene's , it could be that one is stronger than the other.

But there is one thing, we must wait until 2013, becouse i cant get a Toffee adult, if i get that than we now it next year.I reserved two adult bufs for testbreeding , but get now respons from the Toffee breeders yet.

Greatings

Jan

I will have to search for more examples of buf and toffee, but based solely upon the photos provided in the OP's first post, I have to agree with Megan and say that the 2 hatchlings look entirely different from each other and I would NOT call them the same gene. And IMO, the one hatchling doesn't look like anything other than a normal in the first photo, and the different coloration of it in the second photo is caused by an over-all yellowing of the entire image. :shrugs:

To the testbreeding
Buf and Toffee are both dominant
The hatchlings look the same , only as adult ore subadult there comes the different,and that becouse of the breedinglines.

No, the hatchlings do NOT look the same. They, in fact, are very different looking from each other.

I will have to search for more examples of buf and toffee, but based solely upon the photos provided in the OP's first post, I have to agree with Megan and say that the 2 hatchlings look entirely different from each other and I would NOT call them the same gene. And IMO, the one hatchling doesn't look like anything other than a normal in the first photo, and the different coloration of it in the second photo is caused by an over-all yellowing of the entire image. :shrugs:

I've seen them live
The normal that you see is the toffee
and second i didn't want to do someting about the pictures, and let them origenal.
But i wil let you see pictures from dif breedings
1. the breedings from thorsten this year , and this one is shopt by him ore a bad camara
2. From me not shopt
3. From me shopt
4. from 2011 not shopt
and i have more

Attachments

• z5js2lgr.jpg
    z5js2lgr.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Buf%202011.jpg
    Buf%202011.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Buf%2020112e.jpg
    Buf%2020112e.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
  • buf2010.jpg
    buf2010.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 57
Hi!

I don't even have the program photoshop on my computer. On the other hand I could not used it because I a tecnic noob.

Pix after second shed. Taken today.

yfmxtggx.jpg

I've seen them live
The normal that you see is the toffee
and second i didn't want to do someting about the pictures, and let them origenal.
But i wil let you see pictures from dif breedings
1. the breedings from thorsten this year , and this one is shopt by him ore a bad camara
2. From me not shopt
3. From me shopt
4. from 2011 not shopt
and i have more

I still see a buf and a normal. Plenty of difference between these hatchlings.

Hi!

I don't even have the program photoshop on my computer. On the other hand I could not used it because I a tecnic noob.

Pix after second shed. Taken today.

yfmxtggx.jpg

Again, I see plenty of difference and the one (toffee?) looks like a normal to me.

Hi!

This pair Jan got from me over a ghostbuyer. This is poor enough... http://s7.directupload.net/images/110826/gjnng6k2.jpg

gjnng6k2.jpg

5ywnq92i.jpg

These hatchlings do look very similar and I would not hesitate to call them the same morph, but which one(s) are they supposed to be?

Normal Blood vs. Toffee Blood out of the same clutch.

rvxslewp.jpg

Again, these look like they are the same morph to me as I see no difference except what I would normally see between clutchmates.

So far, I'm just not getting toffee as being anything except normal. It doesn't look like buf and doesn't look like Kastanie. :shrugs:

Any adult photos?

Whatever the case may be, I love the look of both (but especially the Toffee) as they mature.

I agee with Megan and Susan, they don't look the same at all. I love the look of the adult Toffees!

Back