• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can't identify what I'm creating :)

wyzza

b'jour ménamis amaréquain
Hi, I need your help identifiing a kind of baby I get from a particular pair.

I got those last year and this year.

They come from a pair that as this known genetic:

Male: hypo het anery, het motley, het lavender (all genes have been proven)

Female: Regular het anery, het motley, het hypo, het lavender.

When they are born, they look like snow corn. So I thought my pair was het albino too, which would be very possible since the amel gene is very much present in many cornsnakes.

Then I thought they could also be opals.

I compared them with snow I had from other pair and they were a bit different, so I supposed they were opals.

I sold 2 of them and about 8 months later, the first buyer showed me a picture and it really looked like a hypo-lav. (sorry, I can't find that pic anymore).

This week, the second buyer sends me a pic of their male. (1 year old)

Below will be a couple of pictures, please tell me what you think the are..

I'm now thinking hypo-lav-albino. (there eyes are red)

This is what they look loke when they're born.

opal_baby_born.jpg

A couple months after ( I toke pics of the same snake with different light and flash)

opal_baby1.jpg

opal_baby2.jpg

opal_baby3.jpg

opal_baby4.jpg

opal_baby5.jpg

And this is the 1 year old one.

opal_1year.jpg

What do you think they are ?

Thanks

WYZ

The first one looks like a snow, the middle one looks like an opal (maybe a hypo opal), and the last one looks like a hypo lavender. I don't think those snakes have the same genetic make up.

Since you're talking about different snakes, it will be difficult to say what is what. The first and last photos are of 2 different snakes from each other and the one in all the middle photos. I see snows as all but the last snake, which looks like a hypo lavender or an opal...can't see the eyes well to tell if they are ruby or truly red.

I say Opal or Hypo Opal. The last snake doesn't look like a Lavender because of the red eyes.. and they colour is too washed out. The first one just looks like a regular snow, though. Clearly the amel gene is present.

What about a hypo snopal? I know regular snopals look just like snows when first hatched, add hypo into the mix and you would get more pink just like the snake in the last pic.

opal

I don't know that anyone said it directly

Your snakes are definite het albino or you wouldn't have snows, but I think you knew that ?

If that last snake is a hypo lav, I want a piece of that line !

I think the last one is an opal (or snopal or hypo opal)

Don't expect too many of those '08 s to turn into opals, maybe, but don't count on it...

How do you know for sure that the parents are het hypo?

I'm new to corn snakes but have a genetics program and with the information that you have provided about genetics here are what I'm guessing they might be:
Ghost Lavender
Anery Lavender
Hypo Lavender is genetically possible, but they don't have red eyes (I have one)
Unless there are unknown hets that could make it possible, they couldn't be Snow, Opal or Snopal.

To be Snow, Snow Lavender, Opal or Hypo Opal both parents would also need to be het Amel, according the the genetics program.

Here's another baby that looked like an opal when he was born, he,s from the same parents.

He's 1 year old on this picture.

DSC02201.JPG

DSC02202.JPG

DSC02203.JPG

WYZ

I would put money on hypo lavenders.. To it appears the the flash has done a lot of work washing out the colours.. Keep in mind, lavenders sometimes have black pupils and sometimes have deep red pupils..Throw the hypo gene in there and you going to lighten the pupils even more without the animal actually being amel..

I can't tell from the majority of th picture with much degree of certainty as lavender is one of them genes *LOL* that can vary greatly with its colouration..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Back