• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

changing from live to f/t

recycling goddess

addiction addict
i have been emailing some breeders in my area... getting ready to adopt 2 corns... and one of the breeders mentioned they are eating live pinkies.

so here's my question: if a snake starts on live food, will it easily start to eat f/t? cause i would think that once it tasted fresh live food, it wouldn't want frozen, non moving food.

:shrugs:

but.... since i know nothing... i could be wrong :crazy02:

It all depends on snakes, but IMO you really shouldn't have big trouble switching.
I currently have 12 snakes, all eat F/T. Including big (good 5 ft) California King male, that I got month ago and that was eating live all his life (you can see it as he has 2 big bruises). He got F/T jumbo as first meal and he got it w/o any trouble.
Same with corns I bought that were eating live. I had some trouble with one of them, but I figured out, that if I put him and mouse in dark place, next second he starts to swalow.
Corns aren't picky eaters, like BPs or some other fragile specieses

Don't worry too much...I knew someone that had all his WILD CAUGHT snakes eating f/t. Right now I have 8 rosy boas and 7 corns that eat f/t with no problem. I also have 3 striped hatchlings that will get their first meal sometime next week.

I wouldn't worry too much, Corns generally eat anything so long as it smells like mouse.

I just converted a few hatchlings that's been sold but not shipped yet, to f/t for the buyer. They'd been eating live since Day 1 over 4 months ago. And all of them ate their f/t meal with no reservations.

If they do have problems switching, we'll help ya out. The tricks to get them to eat f/t aren't too bad.

As starsevol said, I've caught wild black rat snakes and have gotten them to eat f/t rats. So if they can do it, anyone can.

=)

Back