• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Chat room - listen up, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep intending to go there, but it takes more of a time and attention commitment than I am able to make at the moment. I still want it there, though, and with the holidays coming up I should have a bit more opportunity for hanging out in chat (no family gatherings planned).

-Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I don't go in there anymore. This thread killed it for me. I don't think I'm alone.

I go in there during the day sometimes and it is quite pleasant. The past is the past but I am continually irritated by this thread when it comes back up.

Actually, It would be nice to see you in there every now and then Dean so we could chat. :idea:

Yeah, it is just as I suspected. Some people apparently got their knickers in a knot because I posted this thread in an effort to get the participants to cut out the petty crap I saw taking place in it. So rather than comply, the people this thread was pointed towards decided to just go elsewhere.

I really can't believe that anyone would condone the crap I saw in chat log segments sent to me and get pissed that I asked that it STOP.

Oh well............

I go in when I have a chance (which isn't that often). Most of the time I only can get on once a day and that's right before I go fix dinner. I also tend to pop in when Jonathan works late which he hasn't much lately. I don't want to see it go away but you'll do whatever you feel is right.

~Katie

I had a look in chat a couple of times, but my inability to talk to more than one person on msn at a time totally rules me out of participating. It amuses my boys no end to see, and hear me struggling with msn, especially if I get a 'phone call at the same time

dawnrenee2000 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I don't go in there anymore. This thread killed it for me. I don't think I'm alone.

I go in there during the day sometimes and it is quite pleasant. The past is the past but I am continually irritated by this thread when it comes back up.

Actually, It would be nice to see you in there every now and then Dean so we could chat. :idea:
I think it would be nice to chat with you too, Dawn. :) I can't really do much chatting during the day, but if you see me online, and you're in there, drop me a PM.
-------------------------------------
I'm not actively boycotting the chat room. But it has been pretty dead since around the time that this thread was started. I think this thread damaged this community more than anything I've seen since I joined here. I wasn't part of the chat conversation that prompted this thread, but I still have fairly strong feelings about it. Rich Z. is a human being, and he's as capable of over-reaction as anyone. In my humble opinion, this thread was an over-reaction.

It seems that some of the established members whose efforts have made this site great had finally had enough of the b.s. brought to chat by destructive and trouble-making trolls. These members are human, and they reacted in ways that might appear unsavory to some, but I refuse to judge them. You can talk all you want about maturity, and civility, but wake up and look around you. Have you seen any campaign ads lately? Have you heard any political debates? Have you listened to the conversations in your workplace lunch rooms? You can dream all you want about standards of civility, but guess what? Maturity and civility are hardly standard operating procedure in real life. Why should they be expected in a silly chat room?

I'd hoped that this would blow over and that cs.com chat would come back. It doesn't look like that's going to happen. The trolls whose only real aim was to be disruptive have won in a big way, and they're off causing trouble elsewhere. Sometimes when you remind people enough times that it's your ball and you'll go home with it whenever you feel like it, they get sick of hearing it and they go buy their own ball. Sometimes they just stop playing ball altogether...

Roy Munson said:
I'm not actively boycotting the chat room. But it has been pretty dead since around the time that this thread was started. I think this thread damaged this community more than anything I've seen since I joined here. I wasn't part of the chat conversation that prompted this thread...

Could not agree with you more. It is sad to see but I think you are totally right.

Roy Munson said:
It seems that some of the established members whose efforts have made this site great had finally had enough of the b.s. brought to chat by destructive and trouble-making trolls.

I would have to agree here too. Although I personally do not frequent chat that often, the few times I have and 'trolls' enter...it takes down the whole chat and atmosphere CS is known for.

Roy Munson said:
I'd hoped that this would blow over and that cs.com chat would come back. It doesn't look like that's going to happen. The trolls whose only real aim was to be disruptive have won in a big way, and they're off causing trouble elsewhere. Sometimes when you remind people enough times that it's your ball and you'll go home with it whenever you feel like it, they get sick of hearing it and they go buy their own ball. Sometimes they just stop playing ball altogether...

This last statement is sad but true. In my little, insignificant, stupid, moronic opinion we are going to lose some very important members of this community due to the political correctness exuded to idiots that ruin the chat and other parts of the forum. People are playing ball elsewhere and it is going to hurt OUR community...not add to it. With trolls in chat, bad guys posts, and the possibility of turning parts of CS into Fauna (see Insiders Forum, if you can't, pay your dues), we are going to lose something very special in the reptile world. This site is unlike any other reptile related site on the net and everyone who has spent time here knows that. Where else can you find discussions that involve so many BIG names in the cornsnake world and about so many different issues?

It is going to be unfortunate if it becomes necessary to travel to 'different' sites to get what we have here already.

Rich Z said:
So has the chat room been abandoned now? If it is no longer wanted (meaning being used) here, I do have another site (and server) I may move it to.

Well first off, the chat room still gets used. I try to pop in nightly and see what's going on. Just last week I spent a good 2 hours in there talking to GWB about genetics, so the room is still getting used.

Now to the meat and potatoes, so to speak.

Rich Z said:
Yeah, it is just as I suspected. Some people apparently got their knickers in a knot because I posted this thread in an effort to get the participants to cut out the petty crap I saw taking place in it. So rather than comply, the people this thread was pointed towards decided to just go elsewhere.

Not really, no. It was more or less a case of just being sick and tired of having to deal with trolls without any recourse. There was/is just no good reason why a group of us in CS.com chat should have to CHANGE rooms because someone comes in from Fauna and decides to be an ass. Zero, zilch, nada. Unfortunately, trolls have been a problem since I've been on this forum---and they will always be.

For the past 3 years we've been the well behaved ones in chat. Chat was dead when I first got here, and myself, Connie and Chuck got it going. We would sit in chat all day and just wait. Enough people caught on and we had a blossoming chat room not after long. Unfortunately, people on Fauna saw that there were 15 people in chat---logged in---and then were disappointed when nobody was in the lobby and came into CS chat.

And well, that was okay for a while. It became unacceptable when you logged into CS.com chat and you were hit with 10 people talking about boas. I'm sorry, but the title of that chat subroom says "Cornsnakes", so if you want to talk about Boas---get out. Maybe that's rude, whatever. It's way more rude to take over a room with talk about something completely off topic than telling those people to leave. If you don't have the common decency to not take over a room---I just don't know. You NEVER saw any of the CS.com crowd going into the Boa room to talk about corns. It just makes no sense.

That went away, and then we were hit with the true trolls. "Eggy's Incubator" ring a bell to anyone? Again, why should we have to make a private room so we don't have to deal with trolls?

You've said, "just ignore them". Well yeah, in theory that works great. But all you need is one person unwilling to put them on ignore and the room is shot to hell.

What you then get is normal conversation with snippets of "troll banter" and it totally screws up the flow of the chat room. You simply cannot expect every person in chat to put a troll on ignore---it's just not going to happen.

Rich Z said:
I really can't believe that anyone would condone the crap I saw in chat log segments sent to me and get pissed that I asked that it STOP.

Again, you're missing the whole point. Nobody was pissed that you asked US to stop, and nobody was condoning what was said. Many of us that had been dealing with the same BS for 3 years simply got fed up and lashed out. Was it right? No, probably not. It was totally blown out of proportion because convos like that were not common-place.

I think what aggrivated some people was the fact that you asked US to stop and be mature, yet nothing was said or done on Fauna. The guy who totally flipped out and told us that CS stood for c*** suckers and told everyone to F off, well, what happened to him? Nothing. And yes, nothing happened to us either, but a little leeway would be appreciated---and I believe that was the theme. You have admittedly let Fauna go to the wolves, and I think it's just terribly unfair to ask everyone on this forum to 'be the better man' when they go into chat and simply ignore whatever is said by trolls. The vast majority of heavy chat users are paid contributors, and we aren't paid contributors so we can get into fights in the chat room. We're paid contributors because we appreciate what we have, and want to help you with the bills. You know that 9.9 times out of 10, this forum and it's members are NOT the problem, and you hold us to a higher standard as well. I don't believe anyone here has a problem with that.

Nobody said that we were well behaved that night, or being mature. Yeah, we jumped on the guy---and perhaps that was wrong. But there is just only so many times that you can fight fire with niceness. There comes a time when you have to fight fire with fire---and it happened that night. We had been emailing you chat logs for a long time when it came to problem trolls. Never once do I recall you emailing myself or anyone else back scolding us about how we were responding. For the most part---we did what you have asked---we ignore or left the room.

I personally felt that the chat regulars were thrown under the bus by this thread. We had been asking you for help for months and months. Some of us got the impression that you didn't want to be bothered by petty issues such as the chat room---so we stopped and took it into our own hands. But to come down on us when we had been asking for help---and for Fauna to be completely excused was just a bit too critical for myself. And yes, I got pissed off about this thread and stopped using chat for a lengthy while. A lot of people did, and it sucks. I think certain responses from members in this thread were completely ridiculous and many were very much so 'holier than thou', and many people commented and made judgements based on ONE snipet of a chat log. That is simply unfair when you have no idea of the big picture. They had no idea what was going on in the past with trolls, but Rich, you did.

We have NEVER chased out people from ANYWHERE without cause. We had plenty of people from Fauna chatting with us in the past---and we've welcomed all mature folks with open arms. I will say, this thread got a lot of people curious about what exactly went on in chat and many completely new faces showed up. Of course, just as many left---I'm sure because what they found was 'boring' and not like that thread they had read about. All those mean and rude chat regulars wound up being pretty nice and helpful.

All we have EVER asked was common courtesy and decency from anyone coming into that room. That has been too difficult for some of the Fauna boa crowd and too difficult for the trolls. When you enter a chat room and there is a conversation going, you don't simply interrupt it because it's your 'right'. There is no chat room out there where it's acceptable to barge into the room and DEMAND that the current convo stop so everyone can listen to YOU and answer YOUR question. That is absolutely absurd.

MohrSnakes said:
This last statement is sad but true. In my little, insignificant, stupid, moronic opinion we are going to lose some very important members of this community due to the political correctness exuded to idiots that ruin the chat and other parts of the forum. People are playing ball elsewhere and it is going to hurt OUR community...not add to it. With trolls in chat, bad guys posts, and the possibility of turning parts of CS into Fauna (see Insiders Forum, if you can't, pay your dues), we are going to lose something very special in the reptile world. This site is unlike any other reptile related site on the net and everyone who has spent time here knows that. Where else can you find discussions that involve so many BIG names in the cornsnake world and about so many different issues?

Sad to say, Jeff, this has already happened.

Roy Munson said:
I'm not actively boycotting the chat room. But it has been pretty dead since around the time that this thread was started. I think this thread damaged this community more than anything I've seen since I joined here. I wasn't part of the chat conversation that prompted this thread, but I still have fairly strong feelings about it. Rich Z. is a human being, and he's as capable of over-reaction as anyone. In my humble opinion, this thread was an over-reaction.

It seems that some of the established members whose efforts have made this site great had finally had enough of the b.s. brought to chat by destructive and trouble-making trolls. These members are human, and they reacted in ways that might appear unsavory to some, but I refuse to judge them. You can talk all you want about maturity, and civility, but wake up and look around you. Have you seen any campaign ads lately? Have you heard any political debates? Have you listened to the conversations in your workplace lunch rooms? You can dream all you want about standards of civility, but guess what? Maturity and civility are hardly standard operating procedure in real life. Why should they be expected in a silly chat room?

Homerun, Dean. I wish you had posted this back when this thread first popped up and the attacks started. Unfortunately, most people had never been in chat and only saw a snipet of a chat log.

It really does suck that chat has been cut in half. Yeah, people still use it---as I do myself, but it's nothing like it 'used to be'. It'd be nice if it could get back to where it was, but I'm just not sure.

Whoa. I wish I could rep all three of you for the last three posts, but apparently, I don't spread enough around. They are all excellent posts.
If you threaten people enough with taking something way, they will eventually get used to that idea and work around it.... then the threat no longer works. The double standard of letting trolls do whatever they please and then tightening restrictions on loyal members is frustrating.
The reason this site does so much better is because we police ourselves. Take away our power to do that and what do you expect us to do? Live a life of peace love and rock n' roll with the obvious trolls? That's just not my idea of fun so that is why I haven't been in chat.
I don't condone any attack made on trolls. However, when they become so prolific that it's impossible to ignore them, our choices were 1) Get rid of them or 2) Leave. We were told they were more valuable than we were and there was no getting rid of them so... what choice does that leave us with? :shrugs:

Oh, bullsnot.......

I canned the moderator of the chat board that I had put in over on FC because of complaints from some of you here based on a chat log transcript. I banned quite a few people both on FC and here when the snippets of logs showed that it was deserved and the appropriate action. Sorry, but I saw no reason to send you nor anyone else a report of my actions. But evidently the fact that those members vanished seems to have escaped notice.

If I see anyone, regulars here, paid members, advertisers, etc. acting in a manner that I feel is not in the best interests of this site then I will (and have) do what is appropriate to either convince them to cease and desist, or just remove them altogether. THIS thread was started because of what I saw that I considered to be inappropriate behavior by some members here. The fact that you were regulars kept you from getting a three day pass. I chose instead to post this thread in an effort to get YOU to reel yourselves back in and cut out the wolf pack antics I viewed. If anyone prefers that sort of activity, then fine, find somewhere else to do it. It is not welcome here. You just cannot fight trolls by becoming them.

I don't maintain log files of the chat room. I don't know of anything going on unless someone reports it to me. When it is reported to me, all I have to go on is what I see at face value. And THAT is the way I will judge the facts presented. Yeah, maybe you SNAPPED. Maybe you never snapped before, and this was just an unfortunate snapshot of YOU in action. Well be that as it may, the point of this thread was to request people NOT to SNAP in the chat room. It makes this site look bad. It makes me look bad for running this site. And it certainly can't be doing YOU any favors either.

Trolls are everywhere on the net. It just comes with the turf. I delete dozens of SPAM posts and threads every day. They tend to go hand in hand. I just have to either grin and bear it, deal with it as best I can, or just fold up shop, close everything down and cut the cable coming into the house. Those are my only choices. My wishing it would end is just not going to happen. YOUR choices are to either deal with the unpleasantness that is a given in any public medium and try to do the best you can without becoming PART of the problem as well. Honestly, when I read over those logs, if I didn't look at the names, it was damned difficult telling just who exactly the trolls were.

Now as for the trolls being solely a product of FaunaClassifieds, I believe that view is being a bit myopic. FaunaClassifieds has a LOT more traffic than this site does. As such, more people are just there on the site, and just happen to click on the Chat link. I cannot remember anyone reporting a problem from someone I would consider as a FaunaClassifieds regular. Excepting the moderator I mentioned above, of course. In all cases, they were members recently signed up, and more likely then not, just simply a troll who dropped in and really had no interest at all about what site they were really on. They were just intent on being a troll, and when YOU gave them fertile ground to grow in, they blossomed. You all did EXACTLY what trolls want you to do. So putting the blame on FaunaClassifieds, is being unfair, and in my opinion, somewhat ignorant of the true situation, based on the facts and evidence I have seen.

Maybe it's me and I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I never thought there was that much trouble with trolls in chat. True, I haven't been in chat much lately (having nothing to do with this thread but more with being busy and not seeing anyone else in chat), but was a fairly frequent visitor for a long time, and I can only remember a handful of trolls. Definately not something to get this worked up about. I really hate to say this, because I really love this community, but I'm seeing alot of very childish behavior right now and I don't care for it.

I am by no means "sucking up", but I have to agree with Rich on this one. I'm a contributing member of Fauna as well, started over there as a matter of fact. Maybe it's time for me to visit the ol' homestead for awhile.

Susan said:
Maybe it's me and I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I never thought there was that much trouble with trolls in chat. True, I haven't been in chat much lately (having nothing to do with this thread but more with being busy and not seeing anyone else in chat), but was a fairly frequent visitor for a long time, and I can only remember a handful of trolls. Definately not something to get this worked up about. I really hate to say this, because I really love this community, but I'm seeing alot of very childish behavior right now and I don't care for it.

I am by no means "sucking up", but I have to agree with Rich on this one. I'm a contributing member of Fauna as well, started over there as a matter of fact. Maybe it's time for me to visit the ol' homestead for awhile.
When this thread was started, I was all for the "grown up" approach of ignoring the trolls. However, I did pop into chat several times after this post surfaced and saw the trolls lash out in a vengeance. It's as if they got a free pass to play. They flooded chat, insulting cornsnake owners and filling the board faster than you can read promoting hots or whatever their subject of the day was. I still don't agree with stooping to their level, but had absolutely no interest in being in a "room" where I was being insulted and the forced subject didn't interest me. It was very difficult to put them all on ignore. What do you do at that point? Rich certainly doesn't have time to fix the problem as it happens, and by the time he reads the reported transcripts and bans the user, they've had an eternity of time to create new log ins. I believe dealing with this on a daily basis brought people to the level they were at when the posted transcript was created. I'm not saying it was right, but I can see where they were coming from. Perhaps the trolls are gone now, but that's because the audience is gone. :shrugs:
Long story short, I think it was a very valid request that we say something nice, or don't say anything at all. Unfortunately, when you are in a room full of trolls, there is nothing nice to say so I felt forced to take other option.

If you want my opinion, this thread is doing a good job of bringing out the worst in everyone here. I joined this site because it was a nice, friendly place to be. And if I stay out of this thread I can believe that. But coming in here it's like the whole board darkens, it's just not a nice place to be...it's one big 16 page argument. And it could have been settled by now. It's unneccesary. The event has passed. As they say, there's no point crying over spilt milk. What's done is done. And it won't happen again.

For all I know I'm alone with this view; but frankly I'd be happy to see this dropped...this thread is also having a negative image on the board, not just the chat incident. Just my $0.02...

Paradox said:
If you want my opinion, this thread is doing a good job of bringing out the worst in everyone here. I joined this site because it was a nice, friendly place to be. And if I stay out of this thread I can believe that. But coming in here it's like the whole board darkens, it's just not a nice place to be...it's one big 16 page argument. And it could have been settled by now. It's unneccesary. The event has passed. As they say, there's no point crying over spilt milk. What's done is done. And it won't happen again.

For all I know I'm alone with this view; but frankly I'd be happy to see this dropped...this thread is also having a negative image on the board, not just the chat incident. Just my $0.02...

Oh, I don't know about that; I think people are putting a lot of thought and effort into this discussion without just ranting (at least after Rich revived it), and that would not happen unless this was an important topic and people were genuinely interested in the best solution. The major issue now is that there is disagreement as to the best solution and no one is budging.

Now, Dean: if this rage at trolls was justified, then perhaps you might see the downside to feeding them, an issue you addressed here. If we want to rid ourselves of them, we really cannot react to them - it doesn't work that way. But Rich, if you need transcripts to ban people, and if we are supposed to deal with trolls by putting them on "ignore", then can you see where that puts chat members in a bit of a bind? You won't have the thrust of their behavior if we ignore them when they are first identified, but having to identify and ignore a bunch of them would be a drain on our spirits if they just multiply (I don't actually know if trolls can feed each other).

Finally, if people want to get uppity and bail on chat, I can deal with that. If Rich wanted to know only the literal answer to his question, then the answer is clear: people are using it. I can verify that Dale and Joe have chatted on there within the last week or so, and Elle has soldiered on through our and her own difficulties and disagreements. I was chatting with Dawn et. al. yesterday. If Rich really just wanted to see if anyone would respond as Dean did, well, he's got his answer there too. But just because Dean or Carol or Jeff may have given up, that in no way suggests that the chat service is not valuable to the community. There are a lot of users here, and plenty of paying customers who may not be old guard breeders but are a joy to interact with anyway, plus all us little folk.

So, Rich: please leave the chat here. Maybe if I get inundated by trolls one day when I'm there, then I'll have a different perspective on the best way to handle this, but I still appreciate the service.

-Sean

MohrSnakes said:
People are playing ball elsewhere and it is going to hurt OUR community...not add to it.
Seems to be the standard mode of operation (read snobbish behavior of some). Kingsnake.com was the black hole of mediocrity and Fauna/CS.com were the golden oracle of savior. So now apparently CS.com is this terrible realm of oppression and we have to find someplace else to play? What a crock. I guess my 'holier than thou' comments are uncalled for when I expect the people around me to behave like adults. Too bad really. What's going to happen with those people is the next stop on their trip will start to go bad and they'll run away to another spot . . . with their ball and their cronies in tow. Instead of fixing the problem let's run away.

Since when did someone else's negative behavior make it alright for anyone else to behave badly. :shrugs:

It's a sad commentary . . .
D80

Drizzt80 said:
Since when did someone else's negative behavior make it alright for anyone else to behave badly. :shrugs:
I don't think people left because they were told to be "nice". The childish behavior really was a last resort. As usual, last resorts aren't pretty. But what happens when then the "last resort" fails? People give up.

I've followed chat discussions since it's existed. I've seen Rich threaten to take it away on every turn along the way. If Rich is bothered by too many complaints about trolls, it will be taken away, if people don't treat trolls kindly, it will be taken away, if people leave chat to get away from the trolls, it will be taken away. It has always been Rich's stand that he doesn't want to be bothered with it. If he doesn't want to be bothered with it, why should we?

Sure it can be moved over to another site, but without proper troll control, it will become the same problem the minute trolls see there is a room full of people.

So here was the last sequence of events that left a bad taste in my mouth...
Trolls came in and ruined the board, I didn't enjoy it. People got wolf pack mentality and attacked the trolls, I didn't enjoy it. People tried to "behave" in chat and the trolls didn't give up, I didn't enjoy it. People left as a last result and that was no fun either. So I sat here with a bad taste in my mouth about the whole series of events and see yet another threat that it will be taken away. And a threat that I feel was made in spite, and will no doubt effect many "innocent bystanders" and will do nothing to "punish" the people who have already given up. It was just established that the idea of people talking and becoming a community just wasn't happening over on Fauna. So where's the motivation to move a chat room from a forum you just admitted had much more interest in talking to each other to one that you just admitted had disappointed you in that area?

I think the only solution would have been to appoint several mods that were in chat often enough to spot trouble when it happened, and still had to answer to a code of conduct. So perhaps all "bannings" and the transcripts behind them could be sent to Rich. Although with hurt feelings on both sides, I don't know if anyone will volunteer for the job or if Rich is open to that either.

The other thing that ruined it for me doesn't have a lot to do with this discussion. I hate the idea of so many people saving chat transcripts. IMO if I'm going to be down in writing, I might as well be participating in the forum and not in chat. I admit this is a problem in any chatroom, so it really ruined the whole idea of chat in my mind. :shrugs:

So just some thoughts that fell out of my head. I'm really not on any "side", I'm just telling it how I see it. And while I'm at it... It's kind of ironic that the whole time I read this thread there is a giant google ad at the top of the page asking people to chat elsewhere.

carol said:
Perhaps the trolls are gone now, but that's because the audience is gone. :shrugs:

I think the TOTAL solution to the problem is indicated within that one statement. If you want to be food for the trolls, then they will flourish.

Honestly, if someone comes into a chat room and tries to start up a conversation about some topic of interest to them, and gets lashed by people such as Joe telling them to "GTFO, this is a CORN SNAKE room!", how would you expect them to react? How would YOU act in a similar situation? Offended? Hurt? Maybe even angry? If you were at Expo standing in the lobby talking with some of your friends and someone walked up and brought up another topic unrelated to the Expo, you would do that to them there? Tell them to "GTFO, this is the Expo lobby!"?

Sorry, but if anyone feels they have some RIGHT to do this in the chat HERE, then they are just simply mistaken. If they feel that they NEED to have this right or they don't want to use this chat system, then yes, go elsewhere. It is because of YOUR reactions that you made things WORSE there, rather than better.

Drizzt80 said:
Seems to be the standard mode of operation (read snobbish behavior of some). Kingsnake.com was the black hole of mediocrity and Fauna/CS.com were the golden oracle of savior. So now apparently CS.com is this terrible realm of oppression and we have to find someplace else to play? What a crock. I guess my 'holier than thou' comments are uncalled for when I expect the people around me to behave like adults. Too bad really. What's going to happen with those people is the next stop on their trip will start to go bad and they'll run away to another spot . . . with their ball and their cronies in tow. Instead of fixing the problem let's run away.

It's a sad commentary . . .
D80
And how exactly do adults behave? That was part of my point. We haven't acheived utopia yet, nor have we reached the next step in human evolution where tact and consideration prevail, so I find the whole concept to be ridiculous. I AM an adult, I'm no crony, and I don't own a "ball". I really don't need to be preached at by you, Rich, or anybody really. I didn't run away, I just decided that chat was no longer a place that I wanted to hang out in. Is that wrong? Is it childish? If I decided that another chat room provided an atmosphere that I liked better, would I be childish and wrong to go there? Have you ever stopped hanging around somewhere because it no longer offered you anything of value? Were you childish and wrong for doing this instead of toughing it out and doing your darndest to improve it? Gimme a break.

And for the record, I went into chat last night, and I had a great time. I wanted to make sure that I was part of the solution that I'd hoped for, and not part of the problem. Of course, I did this for my own sake, and not to win the acceptance of all of you perfect and advanced life forms who have all the answers...

carol said:
It was just established that the idea of people talking and becoming a community just wasn't happening over on Fauna. So where's the motivation to move a chat room from a forum you just admitted had much more interest in talking to each other to one that you just admitted had disappointed you in that area?

I am sure I misunderstand what you are saying in that statement, because it just doesn't make sense at all to me. The chat system has been on Fauna all along. The link from THIS site was simply added in here. The chat system code actually resides on my HerpChat.com domain. So I don't understand what you mean my "move the chat room" in this context.

And sorry you see my statements as being threats made out of spite. That is not the case at all. It is in my best interests to utilize the functions and facilities on my servers in the best manner possible to be used by people who will actually use them. If something is not being used, for whatever reason, then it would be silly of me to allow it to languish when it may be better placed somewhere else where it MAY be used and appreciated.

My statements, from what I had hoped to convey to everyone, is that the chat system is a "use it or lose it" sort of proposition. That is certainly the case with anything, including entire sites, that I feel I can utilize the resources of more effectively if the current useage doesn't justify them in their current state. To be blunt about it, I have another website on another server that I think the chat system would be well received. It doesn't make sense for me to spend the money for another chat license if the current chat system being used on FaunaClassifieds and CornSnakes is just not being used. From a business and logical standpoint, that would just be foolish of me to do. And the only way I can judge whether this chat system is being used is by looking at the number indicator at the top of BOTH sites and seeing how many people are using it at any given time. There are no statistics programs running that allows me to view such things, so that crude method will simply have to suffice. With nearly 35,000 registered members on FaunaClassifieds, and over 9,000 registered members here, only seeing one or two people logged into the chat system at any given time just does not justify it remaining here. I have no other choice but to just assume that the greater majority of the people don't care either way about the chat system being available. So why bother keeping it here?

Again, this is not a threat, and not done in spite. This is a business decision on how to best use the resources at my disposal. This is a laying out of the cards on the table so you know where I stand.

Will I be disappointed that it is not being used here? Hell yes! It took a LOT of effort to get it running smoothly, especially after the last server move. But when the horse is dead, the only thing that then needs to be done is to stop beating it and haul it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back