• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Coral Rock

Putty

French Fries
I just inherited a fist-sized coral rock ( dead obviously) from a friend at work who had previously used it with her frogs. I was wondering if it was usuable in a snake's enclosure or if it would be too rough? Opinions and experiences with the subject are welcome.

As for the cleaning process of the rock - so far it has soaked in boiling water with some bleach for about an hour and is now drying. Should I proceed to cooking it in the oven or should it be fine?

I've used dead rock in my fish tanks with just a quick boiling first, so I would imagine it would be fine. I'd let it air dry a few days to make sure the chlorine has dissipated.

As for your other question, it *seems* like it would be awfully rough for a snake, but I wouldn't know. Let's see what the experts say.

Here's a picture - couldn't take any close-ups, using the cheap camera. I think it would be nie with some fake plants in the middle and wrapped around it but the texture is still bugging me.

P5200023.jpg

When I worked at petco I used to scrap my hand up against those rocks while scrubbing the tanks. I would think they would be too rough.

Back