• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn bit herself

Rave

My corn just bit herself!
I am currently feeding my corn snake, she grabbed onto the mouse and started to constrict. I wouldnt say it was normal the way she was behaving as her "wrap" didnt look like it was going very well.
It's hard to explain but the lower part of her body was pulling the mouse away from her head, and my guess is a fang became lodged into her side
I belive this happened due to vision problems as shes about a day or 2 away from shed and her eyes are very blurry at the moment.
The fang didn't go all the way threw and no blood, though a small tuff of mouse hair remains on the wound.
It only took her about 20 frightened seconds to realize she couldnt eat herself and dislodged.

Shes almost done eating, and in a few minutes I will get a damp cloth and try to get the tuft out (hopefully she wont mind) before i place her back into her Viv.

She has never had a wound before so any advice is appresiated

Her current bedding is Coco Fiber(plantation soil) with some Forest moss
Temps are all in the norm
slightly higher humidity levels as i misted her Viv and added moss (due to shed)

She has never had a problem eating, even when in shed.

Oh! Poor girl.

This happens. Fairly often.
Relax. The wound isn't serious.

First, wash the wound with mild soap. (Don't go crazy with an antibacterial soap or something. Just bar soap or hand soap or dish soap)

Rinse and dry.

Look in your medicine cabinet. Do you have Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment WITHOUT PAIN KILLERS? Dab a little of that on the wound. Wash it off and reapply it daily, so that it doesn't get nasty.

No Neosporin? How about Alcohol? Or Betadine, or Iodine, or Hydrogen Peroxide? Or, even white vinegar?
Wipe the wound with one of the above, then apply a little oil or Vaseline. (Olive oil, jojoba oil, etc.)
Wash off and reapply daily.

Are you into natural remedies, instead? Dilute Tea tree oil or Neem (or both!) to 20% in some olive oil, apply to wound instead of the Neosporin.

On a budget? Go get some Neosporin (without pain killers) at the Dollar Store.

My little amel was in shed last week. I placed the mouse in the tub with her and she nosed it around up against her side. then she bit herself and gnawed around for a moment before realizing it was her. I didn't notice any wounds and she shed just fine less than an hour latter.

It happens, i've seen two more of my snakes turn and bite themselves, normally it's not to bad as their fangs are small. Just check her over and do as Naagas said, she'll be fine ^-^

My anery has bitten herself more times then I can recall. She takes it out on the pink afterwards. I had to stop slitting them as it gets bloody.

Wow, I have had a snake bite me but not itself. Odd to me but apparently it does happen lol. She should be fine.

This happens occasionally - I've had some snakes that have done that. But they always eventually let go.

And by the way, corn snakes don't have fangs. All responsible snake keepers should be careful to use the proper terms and not spread false statements, especially since our hobby (and for some, livelihood) is under attack now.

Alex used to do this when she was a baby because she would get so excited over her food. I found gently tapping them on the nose gets them to realize something isnt quite right about what they are chewing on.

I had a snake (Fred, my new adult amel) bite my finger last night instead of the mouse. My fault... I should have been using tongs. It took her a few seconds to figure out she had my finger and not the mouse.

Believe me, corn snakes dont have much in the way of teeth. The teeth are so short that any wound is shallow. Especially if you have scales and not fragile human skin.

Back