• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Handling Advice

squeeldoggy

Scottish Registered User
Hello Guys. I've just joined the site and must say that its really great.

Im after some advice on my new Albino Corn Snake whos name is SIDNEESHA. She is about 8-9 months old and has never been handled. Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle her and how often this should be done. I do not want to cause Sidneesha any stress or harm her in any way, so I would like to know whats the RIGHT way to get her used to being handled. I received the snake from someone who did not want her anymore. She is lively and healthy and eats every 3-4 days (mice) and is about 1 foot - 1 1/2 foot long. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Scott

Some quick advice:

I wouldn't hold her until she has been undisturbed in her new viv/tank for a few days.

Make sure to reach in and scoop the snake up from the bottom. Remember, you are big and scary, and how does little snake know you aren't going to eat her? Don't let her "dangle" from one hand. Let her glide from hand to hand, and between your fingers. Don't be worried about holding her to firmly, you'll know how to hold her as soon as you grab her. If you are worried, hold her above her viv/tank so that if she falls, she won't have far to go, and will be in a safe place.

As for how long, I would say maybe 5-10 minutes at a time, until you get her really settled in. Also, don't hold her 24-48 hours after feeding. Leave her to digest in peace without being stressed. Depending on the size of her meals, you should be able to wait a few more days between feeds. Many feed pinkies every 4 days, fuzzies every 5, hoppers every 6, and adults every 7 (my times could be a day or so off).

Hope this helps you for now. Other members will pop in to help out a bit more!

PnyKlr has got right, the only thing I could add is that the snake might "freak out" while your attempting to remove him from his cage. Which is normal. You both will get use to each other and thus it will settle down.

Good Luck :cheers:

spot on

what the first reply said was spot on

except that if the snake has not been handled it might strike out of fear best thing do do if the snake strikes is to not put it down and keep holding it for 5 min and gradually incressing that time until it learns the big scary thing is not so bad. my snow is only 2 - 3 months old and she already comes right to me when my hand is in her viv even if um cleaning up her droppings she looks forword to being held and thats something your corn will learn with time and Patience and if your corn is already gentel disspite NOT being held that will help allot

best of luck

I forgot to mention: Don't be afraid of getting bitten. I have not yet been bitten myself, but I hear it doesn't hurt with the young ones...kind of like the scratchy side of Velcro.

Cheers guys. I have just fed her so I will wait a few days and then start to handle her. I swear that she can recognise my voice, coz when i call out to her she comes out from under her substrate and slithers towards me. Im not ashamed to admit this but im really scared of being bitten. lol Im a big WUS.

Thanks again all

Scott 'n' Leigh (the wife)

Back