• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake acting different than usual

thoordog

Hi, I have a 2 year old corn snake, who Ive had since a baby, who suddenly started acting different. It doesnt seem to be health related as he is eating normally. He typically stays in his hide and comes out at night, when all lights are off. I checked his husbandry and its clean, no poop anywhere. I looked under his hide and there is nothing unusual. He is never out during the day, but, over the last month or so hes been staying out. Ive held him and looked him over and found nothing concerning. The only time he seems to stay in his hide is after eating. He eats frozen thawed. Dont get me wrong, Im glad that he is out more but, since its atypical for him, Im concerned. My initial thought is that he has become sexually mature and is looking for a mate. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

John

Could be hormones, or could just be a normal change in behavior as he ages. Personally, I don't think you need to be concerned as unhealthy reptiles will typically hide more than normal, not become more active. Maybe double-check the temps in your enclosure though :)

You didn't say if you have other corn snakes. If you do and any of them are female, you could be looking at breeding behavior. Males go on seek and copulate missions this time of year, frequently in response to pheromones wafting in the air. As long as nothing else in his environment has changed that's probably what's going on.
Terri

Sounds like pretty typical male breeding behavior. Don't be alarmed if he also chooses to stop eating for a bit.

Back