• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake depression?

reinholds

Well I have nice corn snake. She/he (don't know yet) is 1 year and 9 month. My snake is always (when not slipping) very moving thought not aggressive or something. Last 4 days she is slipping very much and I know it because I've been slipping very little last days. Usually she was up for at least 30 minutes also in day time but now only when I change water she raise her/his head... And when I touch her she doesn't like it while usually she loved to climbe on my hands... She looks tired or unhappy... Could it be a depression? :shrugs:

dont listen to DAve, just give you little snake a prosack and everything wil be better, just kidding

Is the snake duller in color right now? if so then he is porlly in shed. I dont tihnk i have ever seen a depressed snake

Could just be about to shed, as those before me have suggested. If not, and the weird behaviour continues, is it possible the snake is physically ill? Not that I doubt the intelligence of our beloved corns, but somehow I don't see them having the mental capacity to suffer from any mental illness other than stress as a result of inadaquate husbandry or bad handling (i.e. picking the poor creature up by the head or something equally awful)... But then, I'm not a snake, so who knows? :)

You don't say how long you have owned the snake, only it's age...

Couple of things to check:

Substrate toxicity causing illness leading to lethargic behavior; temperature levels not appropriate(either too hot or too cold can lead to lethargy); mites or parasites; cold, drafty enclosure; not enough hiding areas leading to stress, or impending shed.

I'm sure there are a ton of other possibilities, but the above reasons are the ones I have seen referred to most commonly for lethargic behavior...

Snakes are not capable of complex emotions such as depression. My guess is it is about to shed.

Back