• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake enclosures

I believe those are these spring loaded fake bamboo things. They work like a tension rod, I have seen them at some Petstores before.

I believe those are these spring loaded fake bamboo things. They work like a tension rod, I have seen them at some Petstores before.
That's them. Levi likes to climb, he's really active when he's not digesting. I also plan on draping a dark cloth on the back side of the tank instead of adhering a background.

Jag's "home sweet home" She is currently exploring her new branch (lighter color one).

40B aquarium with hinged screen top
Substrate: papertowels

Attachments

• 20160430_183537.jpg
    20160430_183537.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 80
Concern taken care of. We got a new home for Whisper AND Tequila. 1000(L) x 600(H) x 400(D) About 50% of both sides are slotted ventilation. About 80% of the top is meshed ventilation. Temperature on the warm side (Right) is 27 C and the cold side (Left) is 20 C. Unfortunately I have not bought a humidity meter yet. There is no lighting yet.

Tequila is Whisper's brother OR sister (Have not had them sexed yet). Tequila's parents does not have space for her yet. We have moved all the furniture into their new home, so the old home first needs to be decorated.
In any case I include a picture of the new home. Now most probably ANOTHER concern. Even at this age, (8 weeks) is cohabitation a problem? They used to sleep together in a hole in the rock, now however since the new home Tequila sleep in the log and Whisper in the rock.

The heating pad is under the right hand side of the viv. Any suggestions on how we can improve their living conditions would be appreciated.

Francois

Setup looks good - but cohabbing is generally very bad (especially when they are little). There are some threads on here you can search for as to why, but my recommendation would be to separate them ASAP.

Huh I've never seen those before but I like them!!! Does anyone know if there is a glue that you can safely use inside the viv?

Nicole

If you want it to be permanent - you can use aquarium sealant, but I believe it takes 24+ hours to seal so snakies will need to be temporarily rehomed. And although I have never personally used it, I have read in multiple places that hot glue is safe - you could try doing a search for it.

Huh I've never seen those before but I like them!!! Does anyone know if there is a glue that you can safely use inside the viv?

Nicole
I got mines from LLL Reptiles for a good price. Here's an Amazon Link, https://akari.in/kKvv/e8f56b I'll be honest, they look so fake for bamboo, but as long they serve their purpose, then I'm happy. I have my plants cover them slightly.

Everyone's vivs are so pretty x-x; Hopefully mines will be able to be comfortable for my noodle!

In any case I include a picture of the new home. Now most probably ANOTHER concern. Even at this age, (8 weeks) is cohabitation a problem? They used to sleep together in a hole in the rock, now however since the new home Tequila sleep in the log and Whisper in the rock.

Francois
How long have they been together?

Logically:

Corn snakes are most likely to each each other at birth or when introduced. However, any stress could cause hostility. If either seems aggressive, irritated or stressed, separate them ASAP. They can be very social if they choose, but separating them and then bringing them back together is a major no no. If either is acting strangely or not feeding properly, definitely separate them

Being together increases happiness and bonding, but it can also be risky. If they compete for anything, they may fight. Make sure you have two water dishes, heat sources, and etc. and feed them in two separate places.

Overall, it's a risky thing which you have to carefully watch. People who cohab don't watch for warning signs closely, as they tend to not research them closely until something goes wrong. While risky, it can also increase the lifespan, happiness, and quality of life of your pets.

Cohabitation Warning!

As someone who cohabbed my 3 adult corns for 8 years with no problems (or so I thought), I recently separated them about a week ago, on 4/24/16, as a result of feedback I received on this site and research which lead me to the following article:

http://squamishserpents.ca/care-info/can-i-keep-multiple-snakes-in-one-enclosure

I strongly recommend it, as I kept my corns co-habbed for the last year while I continued to get advice on other issues such as breeding and despite sporadically coming across info that indicated that cohabitation was probably not in my snakes best interests. I mean, my 3 adult corns were purchased as hatchings together, have lived together for 8 years, have successfully bred (I have 2 males & 1 female resulting in 3 gorgeous hatchings last summer), and are all apparently healthy! That is, until I discovered the 2 males either attempting to mate or actually fighting!

Now that they are all in their own enclosures, including the surviving hatchling who is now 9 months old (sadly, 2 others didn't survive), I have four, stress-free and hopefully happy snakes!

For those who cohab their snakes, remember that they can't tell you how they "feel." And just because 2 snakes (or 3, in my case) appear to be "cuddling," they MIGHT just be competing for the best or warmest spot in the viv! This last point made by that article was the point that won ME over, though after my 2 males were going at it, I knew there was a problem! And after 8 years, I now wonder, in retrospect, what I might have missed!

Hope this sheds some light on the issue being discussed.

axis, quite frankly, if the female was the most temperamental, it may have been that the two males were just very close. I would say you did the right thing, especially if they were acting up. That article highlights some of the high risks, which usually are most immediate when they are introduced as adults. Sometimes, they might actually be "cuddling," which is a method of bonding through touch for most animal relationships. If any of your snakes seem particularly stressed after leaving the others, have them to where they can see their former cage mates, through one way glass if necessary.

CornSnakeUser:

Hello and Welcome again! My name is Monty and I live in Brooklyn.

I should preface anything else I say with the fact that I am a mental health professional who works in the area of abnormal human behavior (homo sapiens vs. pantherophis guttatus, the latter of which is the technical name for the corn snake species). My knowledge of reptiles comes from experience and reading/research. In other words, I am a self-taught herp-lover, like most here, but there are some here who care for cornsnakes with little more intensity than if it were merely a hobby and I would defer to them to translate the nuances of the characteristic & behaviors of corn snakes.

That being said, "cuddling" and social "bonding" are behaviors that are probably alien to the reptilian brain of a corn snake. While I affectionately assign my corns subjective qualities such as "cute & cuddly," I'd bet a week's salary that if a female corn didn't leave the area where she laid her clutch that she would most probably eat/devour the hatchlings once they did emerge from the shells of their eggs! (IMHO but not something I'd wanna see!)

My snakes were together for 8 years, as I previously stated. Now they can't see nor smell each other (at least, not that I am aware) but if daddio207 didn't respond to my recent inquiry in a previous thread (see "2 male corns mating? HELP!" under Breeding/Egg Production & Care), I might have NEVER looked up the article on cohabitation that I cited in my previous post.

This site has helped me more than any other source of info I have researched on corn snakes. However, all of it would be just info wasted on deaf ears if I did not have an open mind. At the end of the day, I can honestly say I believe I did the right thing by my sneaky ones!

Just sayin.

(It's all good and especially if we learn from it!)

Nicole

Yes Nicole, there are a lot of glues that can be used inside a cage / aquarium.
Any type of Aquarium glue or sealant can be used as well as Clear Silicone Caulking. But they require time to "Dry" or "Cure" and it can be anywhere from a few minutes to 48 hours depending on the product. So you'd have to make sure it was completely safe before reintroducing your pet.

Seperated

OK

I have taken the knowledge of all the learned ones to hart and split the two of them. Whisper in the big house and Tequila in the small house.

Another question. I have a small chihuahua (Sam) it has a habit of sitting on the sofa, just watching the cages. Would you consider that stress full to the snakes?

Attachments

• Neighbours Whisper & Tequila.jpg
    Neighbours Whisper & Tequila.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 71
it won't necessarily say that.

You can assume if it's made for aquariums then it's safe for animals. All of the Clear Silicone Caulkings are completely safe once they are cured.

I know aquarium sealant is definitely safe because it is what they use in vivs and aquariums to built them. But like Karl said, it is important you rehome your snake for 24-48 hours. You an even buy the sealant at petstores. For example, HERE is one sold at Petco.

Francois:

Great idea on taking to heart what the experts here have to say on the no-no's of cohabbing. As far as your dog "watching" them, I doubt they would get stressed as long as that's all your dog does. When I was feeding one of my snakes once, however, one my kittens got by me and went right up to the tub and curiously pawed at the cover, spooking my snake who defecated as a response! Thankfully he had already swallowed his prey and didn't regurge but you see where I'm going, right?

I think we have to be ALWAYS vigilant when we own snakes AND any other animal to ensure the two NEVER have an accidental encounter, if you get my drift. I love my snakes and my cats equally and do my best 24/7 to ensure they are all happy, healthy, & safe, which entails keeping them mutually exclusive to and from each other!

Congrats again on separating your sneaky ones!

CornSnakeUser:

Hello and Welcome again! My name is Monty and I live in Brooklyn.

I should preface anything else I say with the fact that I am a mental health professional who works in the area of abnormal human behavior (homo sapiens vs. pantherophis guttatus, the latter of which is the technical name for the corn snake species). My knowledge of reptiles comes from experience and reading/research. In other words, I am a self-taught herp-lover, like most here, but there are some here who care for cornsnakes with little more intensity than if it were merely a hobby and I would defer to them to translate the nuances of the characteristic & behaviors of corn snakes.

That being said, "cuddling" and social "bonding" are behaviors that are probably alien to the reptilian brain of a corn snake.

Just sayin.

(It's all good and especially if we learn from it!)
Once again, all intelligent species bond. As a mental health professional, you know probably better than most the curiosity a corn snake displays and the usual like of individuality and others common with curiosity. A reptilian brain is only developed by its surroundings, not just its genetics. Others can affect your personal psychology, personality, and persona a lot more than genes.

I'd recommend strongly against cohabbing, as the stress is often very great. Your two males are a prime example of this, as the two possibilities are: they are very close or they are very hostile. All contact is hard to read, and I think you did the right thing. You were very watchful for any possible signs, as all corn snake owners, especially those cohabbing snakes, should be.

CornySnakeUser:

It's comforting that you don't agree with cohabbing, but let's just agree to disagree that corn snakes have the capacity to bond. Since corns are solitary creatures, do not hunt in packs, do not care for their young in any way, only come together in the wild to mate, AND have been known to be cannabalistic, there is no biological or any other need for them to "bond." Bonding, in this case or as when we think they are "cuddling," is only something that we, as humans assign hypothetically to our pets when we see them competing for the best spot in the hide or viv. Intelligence, as it relates to reptiles, only serves them in terms of their evolution and survival. Of course, this is my opinion, but I must say that it is an informed one supported by empirical evidence.

Again, just sayin.

Back