• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

corn snake not doing well need advice

marktimins

Hi. I have a corn snake that is around 10 inches. The pet store said she is 4 months old but who can trust the pet store. My problem is I fed her 1 pinkie in a different feeding tank than she is used to and she got stressed out after she ate it. That was on saturday. On sunday there was a little regurge just a small pile of goo. On monday she throw up the whole mouse and since then to now she is in a hide on the cool side and wont come out. I know that I shouldn't touch her for 7 to 10 days, but I moved the hide to see if she was still alive. I picked her up with no problem which is not like her. She usually runs away from me. When I went to get her she just laid there. And she will only stay on the cool side. She never goes to the warm side which is 85-90 degrees. She is usually very active running all around her tank.
Any advice is welcomed. Should I take her to a vet?
Thank you in advance,
Cheryl

Assuming that you did wait a few days before handling the snake after you brought it home, and allowed at least a week before feeding after you brought it home, here is my advice:

In order to avoid the stressing out period before and after feeding (at least for awhile), you could try feeding your snake in the same tank that you house it in. If you are using any type of substrate that could potentially be ingested (ie. aspen), lay a piece of newspaper on top of the substrate a day or two before feeding, then on feeding day, place the pinkie on the newspaper. Alternatively, you could use some sort of low, wide mouth container (a dinner plate would work). This would avoid moving the snake back and forth, and allow it to get more adjusted to your new environment.

The only problem is you may not want to do this for more than a few feeding because the snake may begin to associate the tank with eating and could potentially bit you later on. My snakes never have (knock on wood) but other may tell you that their snakes have.

thats some strange behaviour there. the pet shop didn't keep that snake with other snakes did they? i have had one snake get a little nasty at me when feeding it this once but thankfully that problem has stopped now. when i first got her she was friendly but wouldn't eat i was worried about her tyred everything and eventually she was OK. after a bit she started getting stress at me when i went to pick her up after eating to put her back in. now what i do is i just like let her crawl onto a plate of somesort and put the plate in the tank till she goes off it and take the plate out. this way i am not touching her and ant going to get bit. she is fine at being picked up like a day after having food. she never through up like your snake seams to be doing though. strange just keep a close eye on it. if worst comes to worst take the snake back and get a refund.

remember don't Handel the snake to much especially when they just had food some, dont like it some dont mind.

She is probably more inactive because she is on the cool side. It is ok she is there though. How big is the seperate container she is in? It is better to feed in a small container, such as a deli cup, when they are young. This will reduce some of the stress. Don't try to feed her for at least 7 days after a regurge. 1 regurge is not too much to worry about. If it happens many times you might have a problem. Also, you might want to keep an eye on your high temps. 90 is kinda pushin it. I personally try to not let the temps get above 85. She should be just fine.

Do a Search

on regurgitation.

See option above right. Spell it just the way I have.
There already is a lot of good information on how to handle this. The search will give you access to this information.

Back