• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake questions :)

phillip2

Im after getting a corn snake, i was going to get one a while ago but i got a gecko.
im intrested ina few things that i kinda forgot as it was a few years ago lol
1.for a baby is a 24 x 12 x 12 inches too big?
2.also how big does a corn get and does a male /female get any smaller than the other??
3.what size tank does a full adult need?
4. whats there lifespan?
thanks

1. as long as there are places for it to hide, that size should be fine
2. about 3-5ft I believe, my adult is just over 4ft
3. I've heard about a length and a side for the length of the snake (ie, 3x1 for a 4ft snake), although I might be wrong there
4. Can be up to 20 years if kept well

thanks i was tied between a ball and corn
but i think a corn may be a bbetter choice
just worried as 5 ft snake is hardly handable by 1 person :S
do you know where i can see pics of people setups?
thanks

thanks i was tied between a ball and corn
but i think a corn may be a bbetter choice
just worried as 5 ft snake is hardly handable by 1 person :S
do you know where i can see pics of people setups?
thanks

With a 6 foot corn, it's a lot easier than with a 6 foot boa (and yes, there are corns that have topped the 6 foot mark). As far as pictures of setups, you can look around the DIY section and see how people have made setups, or you can do a general forum search for setups.

ok thanks
i know with balls males dont egt as big as females?
is this the case with balls?
and what size gallon or length does a adult corn need?
is a 24 x 12 x 12 big enough for adult or not?
thanks

ok thanks
i know with balls males dont egt as big as females?
is this the case with balls?
and what size gallon or length does a adult corn need?
is a 24 x 12 x 12 big enough for adult or not?
thanks

As far as I know, in balls the males tend to stay a bit smaller than the females. For an adult corn, in a perfect world, a 40 gallon tank would be perfect. However, for those of us with 20+ snakes, we tend to use a rack/tub system. If you can find one of those under the bed tubs, those work perfectly for an adult corn (I've got 3 of 'em in those now), or if you can find a tank with the same floor dimensions but just some more height, your snake will "love" you forever. Just give him lots of stuff to play with (climb on, hide in, etc)

40 gallon oh i read a 20 gallon is enough lol
what dimensions in inches is best?
also do they hide away a lot?

20 gal long is the minimum recommended but when you see a 4+ft corn in a 20 gal long you would understand why people say a 40 gal is better.
tank length+width shouls be equal to or larger then your snakes length.

a 20 gal long is 30 x 12, so a 42 inch snake would be the largest recommended for that tank.

most snakes hide alot, corns are nocturnal so are more active between dusk and dawn

cool.
And are all the morphs ,is there any particualr ones that are popular?
i liked the striped ones,and bloodred,and amel.hey i like them all haha.
are all corns easy 2 tame?
do they eat rats when older or just big mice?
thanks

cool.
And are all the morphs ,is there any particualr ones that are popular?
i liked the striped ones,and bloodred,and amel.hey i like them all haha.
are all corns easy 2 tame?
do they eat rats when older or just big mice?
thanks

It really all depends on the snake. You've got some that are puppy dog "tame", and you've got others that thrash around and bite at any given chance. Right now, the popular morphs are the ones with lots of genetic goodies thrown in. However, these also tend to get a bit pricier. But, you can't go wrong with a nice bloodred! As far as the rats, again, it depends on the snakes. I have 3 corns that, if given the chance, would eat rat pups. I prefer to keep them on mice, but that's just my personal opinion. It really all depends on your snake, and how big it is if you're gonna give him rats or not.

ok thanks, i do want one as i think there amazing just got to see when my mum lets it happen lol.
anything i can say lol
also is there anyway i can not stun the growth but like menchened if i get male is there more chance he wont grow as big?

ok thanks, i do want one as i think there amazing just got to see when my mum lets it happen lol.
anything i can say lol
also is there anyway i can not stun the growth but like menchened if i get male is there more chance he wont grow as big?

I think with corns, more often than not, males tend to get bigger. I have one male right now that is about 5.5 feet long and weighs about 1200g on empty. He can eat a medium rat with zero problems. However I'd think that if you don't plan on breeding a female they could get just as big if not bigger than a male. Part of the reason a lot of peoples female corns are not as big is because when they breed, if they double clutch and brumate for 3 months each time thats 6 months out of the year where they are not eating in addition to the weight that they lose carrying their eggs. Just my opinion lol.

BTW my big guy is a bloodred and he is the absolute NICEST snake I own! Good luck with whatever you may choose

Back