• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake Won't Eat.

SnakeEyes

My 2ft corn snake.
She used to eat pinkies but yesterday I fed her a Hopper.
She just squished it to death and left it there?..
My 6inch corn snake ate her hopper even tho she couldn't!
She still has the small bump.. But she ate it cause she didn't
eat for bout 2 weeks.
Tho now im breeding mice.
I got 1 male and 3 females.
I need tips on breeding mice.
So please leave all the tips and advices you can give me
on the comments.
Thanks in advance.
I also got videos of the snakes eating.
1 of the 6inch and one of the 2ft.

well, first off- if your snake is 6 inches long it can only handle a pinkie, but since they hatch out at around 9 inches I am guessing that your measurements are off.
If the other snake did not eat, she was either not hungry, or since she had been eating pinkies, she didn't want to eat it because of the fur. This is rare, but it has happened where they take a little while to recognize that the mice are still food.

Breeding mice is pretty much as simple as letting them all live together and feed them a well balanced diet of rodent blocks. Avoid dog food or seeds as main food items. You'll have to wait a while to see which females produce the most babies- do not be surprised if you wait three months before you even get a litter. Most first time moms will eat their litters, but if they eat the second litter you'll need to replace the female. It is really hard to find females that reproduce fast and do not eat the young unless you buy them from a breeding line.

The 6inch snake is not exacly 6inch.
Its just very very small.. like 2 weeks from born i think.
And she ate the hopper really quick and now she is rlly happy and
not hungry ...
and about the other one.. Idk what to do with her then.
I also saw the mice and 1 of them is building a corner (nest)
and its getting fat. What you think I should do?
Separate it?

I would not separate the mice.

And if the snake is only about 2 weeks old she definitely should not be eating a hopper. They can only handle something that is about the same width of their bodies or just slightly bigger, or you risk a regurge- which is really bad for your snakes. My babies that are about two months old are only eating pinkies right now, and they still need to be slit considerably so that they digest them properly. It takes them about a 8 months- year on average to get to hopper size. I would follow the munson plan if you could, it's very basic:
-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

But I didn't feed her for 2 weeks and the pet store didn't have live pinkies.
I gave her frozen one but she didn't eat it.. I bought hopper and she ate it.

Two weeks is not a long time. I would rather not feed for a month than risk killing my snakes by feeding a prey item too large.
And as others have already said in other threads, feeding f/t is very much preferred. It's really easy to illicit a feeding response if you slit them open too. If you leave your corn alone with a slit f/t rodent overnight in a small area, it will almost assuredly be gone in the morning. I had a hatchling go 2 months before finally eating, so don't feel like just because one attempt at feeding f/t did not work that it won't. Not to mention that f/t is much cheaper!

But the 2ft one is a wild snake.. She didn't like the frozen one...
And the small one.. I had no choice.. She was getting aggresive.

But the 2ft one is a wild snake.. She didn't like the frozen one...
And the small one.. I had no choice.. She was getting aggresive.

Wild corns very easily switch over to f/t or prekilled. I've taken wild garter snakes and given them f/t the exact same day, it really doesn't make any difference to them.
Don't be afraid of a little nip :p If the baby corn is acting "aggressive" it's not because of requiring food, but more because it is afraid of you. As said before, even hatchlings can go quite some time without food. If she ends up regurging a large meal you'll have to wait at least ten days to try feeding her again anyway.

.. I didn't know, But anyways For till how long should i feed the small one then after that hopper?
And about the big one?

If she doesn't regurge, I would wait until the lump is completely gone and then another four days after that.
The big one you can try again in anywhere from 5-7 days. You just don't want to keep offering food over and over because they can become associated with it being scary. Since she is wild caught, she may have been used to eating anoles, but you've said that she has taken pinkies before... hmm. You can always scent an adult mouse with an anole, but since this corn is larger she can go a while without eating. You can also try scenting the hopper with a pinkie, since sometimes pinks have different smells from adults.

It doesn't sound like your small snake is large enough for 2 pinkies. You REALLY don't want to overfeed. I did with one of mine, well he should have been able to handle what I gave him, but I found a part of a pinky regurged a few days later. Now, I have to be very, very careful. I've ordered nutribac from Kathy Love (snake expert) and will not feed him until he gets 2 doses of it, per Kathy. She has strict instructions to follow if your snake regurges and it's a very slow process to get them back to eating where they were.

I'm just saying this to impress on you not to feed too much or too large. It's better to go slow than too fast, I've learned that here and I believe every word of it. The snake will be fine if you feed it less. I got a 3 month old who hadn't eaten and she was still strong as ever and very healthy, fortunately she ate and is a good eater now, so they can go a long time w/out food. Snakes have gone missing for a year and been found alive.

Please take the advice given here, the people here know what they are talking about and want the best for you & your snakes :)

Wash the mouse for the wild caught snake....F/T from pet stores and such have a different much stronger scent that wild mice (I can smell it when I open the bag)....my snake escaped from his previous owner and was in the wild for 8mo before I got him and he wouldnt eat his first mouse so per advise I washed it and dangled it for him and he ate it straight away. Now I just wash the mouse and put it on a tray in his feeding box and its gone with in 10min every time.

The large one is the one that eats to pinkies a week.
And Nevermind, The big one ate the dead hopper anyway lol.
I didn't see em this morning where I left him. and next, How long
till I can hold them again?

The large one is the one that eats to pinkies a week.
And Nevermind, The big one ate the dead hopper anyway lol.
I didn't see em this morning where I left him. and next, How long
till I can hold them again?

You should wait 48 to 72 hours befor you hold your snakes again never hold them after feeding that way they won't regurgitate thir food.

If you are feeding the correct size of mice/pinkie...then the corns should digest in 72hrs (3days) atfer that you can handle them safely.

I bet, the little corn will take longer to digest the hopper though...that was way too big.

Also, f/t pinkies/mice are safer to feed to your snake. Live hopper and bigger, will try to attack / bite your corn snake.

I have a snake that was born late last year and just big enough to eat a big pinkie...I'd never dream of feeding him a hopper. Mine get fed every 7 days, but if I have one I think needs fed more often, generally my small ones, I'll feed those every 5 days.

Glad he ate the hopper :) Told you that they usually don't have problems!
I feed the same way you do, every 7 days for the bigger ones and every 5 for babies.

2 week old corns cannot eat hoppers in my mind.... hoppers are at least three times their girth size than. Don't you mean a fuzzy? A large 2 week old hatchling might be able to eat a small fuzzie but I'd say it's a risky business and would not do it.

A two feet corn might be able to eat a hopper but for most I'd say it's a risky business and would not do it. Maybe if they tend to be girthy instead of lenghty.

And SnakeEyes, make sure the frozen mice are thawed to at least room temperature all the way through before you offer them to snakes. The way you said a snake refused a frozen mouse made me think, probably better mention just in case. :p If the snake is picky, try dipping the thawed mouse in hot (but not boiling) water for a couple of minutes to warm it.

And there is never any reason to feed prey that is too large, because you can always cut it up into smaller pieces! :) Easy to do when the prey is still frozen. If the smallest thing you can get is still too big, and you really can not get a small enough pinky, try just offering the mouse head. Remember, if you do get a regurge, you will have to cut up mice for the next month or two anyway, so save yourself and your snake the trouble and feed appropriate sizes.

Back