• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

CornSnake in the wild.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
The other day, Connie and I walked down the road through the middle of our property, and on the way back from the stream I spotted this little critter resting peacefully alongside the road near one of the concrete culverts that the smaller stream branch runs through.

How would you like to spot something like THIS in your snake hunting travels?

Lol, that's great! With the escaped clutch I had a couple years ago, I expect to find some WC Lava Lavender Motleys in the back yard one of these summers...

That's pretty funny! It's actually not a bad camo with those fall/winter leaves all over. I hope the little guy makes it...

So...you've had your share of escapees over the years, haven't you! ;)

Actually no. I tend to release anything that is not doing well in captivity, or perhaps just has some minor kinks that don't make it a candidate for the freezer. That is a benefit of living within the natural range of the corn snake.

Quite honestly, come January when everything has to be out of here, anything that has not been sold will probably just be released. Since I have killed off the mouse colony, there won't be many other options at that point when they need to come out of brumation.

Should make for some interesting walks around the property years from now. The good thing about that is that maybe they will clear out the rodent population around here that has been getting into my vehicles nesting and chewing up on wiring harnesses.

Let me know when you release them Rich, I will be there in 10 minutes flat! :)

I so would have scooped up that little one! I need to go herping near your house!

Let me know when you release them Rich, I will be there in 10 minutes flat! :)

I so would have scooped up that little one! I need to go herping near your house!

Heck no, I don't want to catch them. Imagine the thrill of seeing something like that on your own property every now and again. Definitely better than keeping them in cages and having to take care of them. Sure will make every walk Connie and I take around the grounds all that more interesting and exciting, I think.

I think if I release (or have released) any Caramels, they will do excellently here. Laying on pine needles they would be almost invisible.

That is so cute and will make for some nice walks, but did you see how purple that guy was? I know your done with snakes, but boy his little face was calling your name:)

I have an ethical question.

It's been previously asked and discussed. There are a number of people who don't think that releasing captive-bred animals into the wild is problematic as long as they are in their natural range. Others have problems with it based on their feelings about the likely fates of the actual individual animals, while others have problems with it based on the potential (and always unknown) deleterious effects on wild populations.

I know it's been discussed. And it doesn't bother me. My ethical question was "Why'd you leave it there?" aka "I'da grabbed that up!!!" Like a hundred dollar bill in the road...

Quite frankly, it was worth a lot more to me thinking that I may see it again someday during my walks.

WOW!!! I would have been overcome by excitement! Then talking about it for days, probably driving my hubby nuts, LOL! What a joy it would be to find something like THAT in the WILD!! Heck, I go crazy just finding a turtle in the wild!

When I come get that rack, I'm going herping in your back yard first. LOL

Just don't be out there flipping over my cars..... :nope:

Heck, I've had coachwhip snakes on the porch, scarlet snakes under the palm trees, and eastern diamondbacks by the shed. Haven't seen any coral snakes lately, but they are definitely around here.

Oh yeah, I guess I shouldn't forget to tell you about the bear tracks..... :eek:

Just don't be out there flipping over my cars..... :nope:

Heck, I've had coachwhip snakes on the porch, scarlet snakes under the palm trees, and eastern diamondbacks by the shed. Haven't seen any coral snakes lately, but they are definitely around here.

Oh yeah, I guess I shouldn't forget to tell you about the bear tracks..... :eek:

Rattlers and Scarlets and Bears! Oh joy! :D

Don't worry, I'll leave your cars alone. I have a healthy respect for anything that goes "VROOM!" and doesn't sound like a lawn mower on steroids. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back