• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Crypto Awareness

Kokopelli

Resident Boa Fanatic
I from time to time stumble upon keepers' practices and videos on youtube and facebook that make me seriously cringe.
Not everyone had the distinct pleasure of having most of their collection decimated by Cryptosporidium, so it's understandable why I would be a bit more cautious than others... but still, you just wouldn't believe how horribly easy it is to get into trouble with this parasite.

I have since rebuilt my collection(been roughly 2 years since)... actually it's bigger than it's ever been. But I definitely changed the way I handle things.

1- Water dishes are NOT to be transferred between one enclosure to another. Crypto is a parasite that thrives in water.

2- Do NOT wash water dishes with the same cloth/whatever- that's too is a foolproof way to infect your entire collection.

3- No transferring of uneaten food items from one enclosure to the next.

4- No feeding of dead reptiles, or any reptiles, to other living reptiles- this is simply every bacteria and parasite's wet dream. This is a wonderful way to infect your healthy reptile. Kingsnakes might have a strong immune system against such things... logically, but I wouldn't take the risk.

5- Feces are to be handled with gloves and cast away.

6- Get a steamer... they are not uber-expansive and they are one of the only ways to eliminate Crypto occysts. This is not fool-proof... the demand is for 6-9 minutes of exposure to 45-60 degrees(Celsius).

7- Crypto occysts can survive 8 months on dry surfaces, freezing, alcohol, bleach, chlorine... and there's really no treatment for it. Hence the recommendation above, USE IT.

8- Put your feeding tongs in boiling water on occasion. Try to avoid contact between it and the snake's mouth.

I think that all of these are reasonable... there are of course more drastic measures(handle all with single use gloves), use deli cups as water dishes and throw them away and so on.

Hope this helps someone somehow, maybe it'll save someone the trouble of dealing with the damnable thing.

Speaking of single use gloves, if you don't disinfect your hands after removing the gloves, before putting on the next set of gloves, you are not doing infeciton control properly.

Speaking of single use gloves, if you don't disinfect your hands after removing the gloves, before putting on the next set of gloves, you are not doing infeciton control properly.

Agreed!

Additionally...double glove....

At the ABSL-3 I worked for, we'd do a nitrile layer first and then a latex layer. VERY easy to see tears and holes (nitriles were purple, latex were "nude"). Simply pull outer gloves, spray down inner layer, let dry, put on new outer layer. The BIGGEST thing here, with gloves, is proper donning and doffing (removing) to avoid cross-contamination.

Check page 4 at the below link...
http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Glove_Use_Information_Leaflet.pdf

I liked the "B-2" facility as most stuff we worked with was controlled with EtOH. EtOH smells yummy. :) The "B-3" on the other hand used acidified bleach; bleach smells bad enough, acidified bleach is horrendous, even wearing a sealed tyvec and PAPR unit with an awesome HEPA filter. Then again, the smell of autoclave is pretty gross too unless chocolate agar is in it. I'm rambling....

Back