• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cutest Mice I have ever had!!

mrweaw

Branching out into geckos
Hey Everyone! I currently have the 4 greatest colonies of mice ever! I had bad experiences in the past but these groups are wonderful. They are great producers and are awesome looking as well. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• 100_1302.JPG
    100_1302.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_1303.JPG
    100_1303.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_1305.JPG
    100_1305.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_1310.JPG
    100_1310.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_1315.JPG
    100_1315.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 101
And here are the rest of my cuties as well as a pic of each of my hamster pairs.

The mice that are pictured alone are especially interesting. I'm not sure what type the cream colored one is, but she has black eyes :)

Attachments

• 100_1309.JPG
    100_1309.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_1311.JPG
    100_1311.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_1312.JPG
    100_1312.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_1313.JPG
    100_1313.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_1306.JPG
    100_1306.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 97
You must like the fuzzie type. lol I like th 3rd picture down. They are so adorable. Feeders or keepers?

I am rather fond of my silkies, yes. :)

Most will be feeders but I think I will pull out some to start a new colony...or two now that they are going out to the garage and I won't have to smell them as much!

Anyone ever tried keeping them warm with heat pads?

I love that last picture you posted (with the tan around their eyes) that has to be the cutest mouse ever. I have to stop looking at these or else I know I will end up with some kind of rodent as a pet!

Preita said:
I love that last picture you posted (with the tan around their eyes) that has to be the cutest mouse ever. I have to stop looking at these or else I know I will end up with some kind of rodent as a pet!
LOL...that looks like a hamster to me ;)

mrweaw said:
I am rather fond of my silkies, yes. :)
Anyone ever tried keeping them warm with heat pads?
Never considered that. Is it really worth it to you? You could have a malfunction or power outage and all hard work to create these colonies would be ruined. Also, I'm guesing it gets cold there, what about the summer? You would need window a/c units to keep them in the 70 degree range. Again, is it worth it to you? Think about how much you would spend on heat pads, heat tape may be affordable but then the thermostat.... Why spend all the extra money just keeping them the right temps when you can save all that money and buy new herps with it by keeping them in the house.

CornCrazy said:
LOL...that looks like a hamster to me ;)

lol I have no idea when it comes to the hampster/ gerbals. I had a rat once, & a mouse back in the day, but they were those all white ones.

They need to go out into the garage because my Grandmother has stage 4 lung cancer. She has Oxygen and is going through chemotherapy. The dust and smell from the rodents has become quite bothersome to her. I agree that putting them out in the garage is a risk, but it is one I have to take at this point. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep them warm because it is cold here. Our garage isn't that well insulated and is rather large so heating the whole thing isn't practical. I plan to take about a third of the garage and remodel it to be a reptile room next summer but that doesn't help right now. If anyone has a better suggestion than heat pads please let me know.

Take Care.

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_Supplies/Product/Heat_Tape_119105.html
Get some heat tape and that should keep the temps right. If you have an insulated garage or if it holds temps ok, you could go and buy a nice space heater. All it could take would be some heat tape and a thermostat to keep the temps at about 73. That would be cost efficient too. If it gets much colder than that they will just cuddle up for warmth. My room is only 75 and my mice still cuddle up. Beware that anything under 50-60 not positive but it may kill them or get them sick. I understand now why you want to keep them in the garage.

Sorry about your Grandmother, hope everything works out

Back