• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

cutting the umbilical?

doovoo

Inconsequential.
So there's a hatchling here who's emerged from the egg completely, yet remains attached to the umbilical ...and doesn't seem to be doing well as a result (struggling to separate himself).

I've decided to let him be for the moment, though if he's not 'free' by this afternoon, I've considered clamping (hemostat) and then cutting the cord to release him. I do realize that this is perhaps not the recommended or most prudent course of action, but he is certainly of a size whereby he (outwardly) shouldn't need to absorb much more of the yolk.

Thoughts, suggestions?

:shrugs:

I have NO experience in this matter myself, so take it for what it's worth.
If I were to try to free him though, I would cut at the egg shell and not the umbilical. Reason being that the yolk might be more needed than you suspect. Anyway, if it's possible to free the whole yolk, you could then do as other breeders have recommended when snakes leave the shell without absorbing all the yolk: Put him in an enclosure with a very little bit of water at the bottom so that he can possibly absorb it all without it drying up.
Good luck whichever way you go with this..

I took this advice into consideration, and thereby decided to attempt removing the yolk in it's entirety.

The little guy was looking bad (exhausted, I assume) and was unresponsive at first. However once I began cutting the egg, he put all of his remaining energies into trying to get away (naturally).

Rather than take a chance on making his situation worse for my effort (through his continued exertions) I went ahead and cut the cord...

And he seems to be doing just fine.

I've put him in a deli-cup with some damp moss, and he is (for all appearences) resting comfortably.

I'll post a pic later when he's had time to recuperate.

Please note (for future reference) that before deciding to cut the umbilical, I was careful to examine it to see if blood was still being carried through. This morning, it was indeed quite full and bright red - hence my initial concern over cutting. However, when I finally did perform the 'operation', it was clear and apparently no longer exchanging blood through the yolk. This is important to note, for I did read elsewhere that a broken/cut umbilical may cause the hatchling to hemorrhage excessively and perhaps die as a result.

Anyway, I'm relieved at the outcome. Pic soon (as promised).

Anything to update? Did the baby snake make it??

I ask because I've got a similar situation, and am wondering if I should cut or leave the veins attached.

I hope it has all gone well, with your fingers crossed, I'm sure everything will be fine.
A suggestion if the cord has not been absorbed yet... place the neonate in a deli cup with only about 1/8" of water. This should help. If you do this, make sure to replace the water twice a day to reduce the risk of infection. The damp moss was a good idea too. If after a couple of days it still hasn't absorbed the cord, you can place the baby on aspen. It will provide a very dry surface in hopes the cord will dry up and fall off. This advice may be a little late... sorry.

I have a very similar situation, new baby staying attached to the egg, so I'll follow the advice I've seen here and give it a little time. thanks all.....

Back