• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Diamond or Phantom? Who knows.

adsclarke

UK Corn Enthusiast
Hi all,

This little fella came out of our Diamond project which has gone a bit wrong! The parents were supposed to be:

Normal het Amel Charcoal Lava ph Hypo

We got Anery, Snow, Lava, Lavamel, Normals and this guy. No other Charcoal and no Hypo.

I think he is either a Phantom or a Diamond but I'm not sure. Any help much appreciated!

1126-2.jpg

1126-3.jpg

1126-4.jpg

Cheers
Ads

Well, since you didn't get any charcoals or hypos of any kind, and DID get anerys and snows, I would be more apt to say that was an ice instead of either a diamond or a phantom. The fact that he has zero saddle borders makes the identification a little more difficult, IMO.

Hey Susan,

It is certainly a possibility! I'm really not sure. I've not bred a lot of Lava animals yet.

Cheers
Ads

Tough one ads, dont look like any of the ices I have produced, despite it being the most likely option.
really not sure. Nice though

I'm going to say it's not a Phantom because the irises are light colored and not black. All Phantoms or Platinums I have ever hatched had dark irises. I have not hatched a Diamond, so cannot comment on the color of their irises.

D80

Tough one ads, dont look like any of the ices I have produced, despite it being the most likely option.
really not sure. Nice though

I agree that it doesn't look like any of the ice hatchlings I've seen, but the lack of distinct saddle bands may be part of it. It has the masque head pattern, which might indicate het bloodred, even though bloodred isn't supposed to be there either (honest opinion...it looks like a ghost het bloodred). Any chance of retained sperm or a different male breeding the female? Your results definitely indicate that something is wrong somewhere. Contact the breeder of the parents and see if even retained sperm on the part of the grandparents could be a possibility (ie, your pair are not het for what you think they are). How about some photos of the siblings, especially the anery, lava and lavamel. Wouldn't be the first time anery and charcoal has been confused in a clutch or hypo and lava/ultra.

I agree that it doesn't look like any of the ice hatchlings I've seen, but the lack of distinct saddle bands may be part of it. It has the masque head pattern, which might indicate het bloodred, even though bloodred isn't supposed to be there either (honest opinion...it looks like a ghost het bloodred). Any chance of retained sperm or a different male breeding the female? Your results definitely indicate that something is wrong somewhere. Contact the breeder of the parents and see if even retained sperm on the part of the grandparents could be a possibility (ie, your pair are not het for what you think they are). How about some photos of the siblings, especially the anery, lava and lavamel. Wouldn't be the first time anery and charcoal has been confused in a clutch or hypo and lava/ultra.

Hey, Thanks for this. The parents were first time breeders this year so no retained sperm there. We've hatched quite a lot of charcoal so I think we'd spot it in the clutch. I'll get some more pics of clutch mates and update. The original breeding was Charcoal X Lavamel although I've not seen the parents.

Cheers
Ads

Hi,

Purple? He has a little tinge of it around the saddles but not much..

A couple of pics of others from this clutch...
1126-5.jpg

1126-6.jpg

Cheers
Ads

not a bad call there, simply going on looks I can see how this could be correct.

Back