• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY water heating?

Lycari

Desperate to Edit
My dad had this idea and I've definitely never heard of anything like this bring used for herps. I wanted to run it by everyone and see what everyone thought. :)

So, his concept is to fill some small container, say a 5 gallon aquarium, with a mixture of water and antifreeze, put an aquarium heater in it, outfit it with hoses and a pump, and seal it up so it can't evaporate. He wants to run these hoses through cut out slots in a dense foam board underneath the viv. The idea is that the water will be at a steady temperature and will heat the floor of the viv to a specific temperature. The water cools as it goes through the tubes, so you can have one side at 85 or so and the other at 70, ensuring a proper temperature gradient.

He's been thinking on this since my reptile room is in the basement and stays pretty cool during the summer, rarely reaching 70 degrees, and in the winter it gets down to 54. Corns have done fine in the past, just spending more time on the hot side, but my beardie straight-up hibernates, and they're not supposed to do that. :p There's no way in hell I'm ever putting a space heater in that room again (I don't wanna talk about it >.>).

Any thoughts or suggestions? The antifreeze thing really bugs me, but he says it's the only way to keep it clean so it can be completely sealed and not evaporate out or need cleaning, which would disrupt temperatures.

I personally would stick with what is proven to work, a UTH with a thermostat. If the warm side is kept year round at 85°-87° it will gradiate down on its own and by having lots of hides all over the viv your corn can choose its own comfort zone. Just make sure the UTH covers 1/3 of the bottom of the viv.

Back