• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do Okeetee and Normals look similar as hatchlings?

Cody60

im not too sure if my girls a okeetee or normal...she has brownish saddles on her back, and theyre bordered with black...shes had orange on her back since she was born and shes getting more...2 months old

ive seen "normals" with their saddles bordered by black as well, though

so how can you tell okeetee and normals apart? is there a distinct feature that can help you differentiate between the two?

They look pretty much the same as hatchlings. Sometimes it's obvious when they're NOT okeetees, but more often than not, they're close enough in appearance that it's hard to tell till they're closer to adulthood.

(And just FYI, Okeetees ARE normals, just with a specific look to them.)

-Kat

Big, bold colors don't usually start manifesting themselves until a snake is a little older. As Kat has already stated an Okeetee is a normal. If you bought it as a normal, then that is what I'd call it. :)

Okeetee's were named for the place they came from. The Okeetee hunt club in Jasper co. S.Caralina.
Over the years the intrest in where they came from has become less important to many hobiests then a general look.
That brings up a couple of problems
1) What do we call Okeetees from the Okeetee hunt club? maybe we could convince them to change the name of the hunt club and that would make things less confusing for hobiests. lol
2) many normals not from the hunt club or with the Okeetee look are called Okeetees to get a better selling price on the normals. I even saw a picture of one guys normal cornsnake it was under the heading my new corn. I told him his hatchling kind of looked like an Okeetee. He said yes it kind of does. A couple of days later he had a picture of the same snake under the heading my Okeetee cornsnake.

Debating on whether to respond..........

OK. There still seems to be a propensity to assign locality titles by individuals that seek to differentiate their stock. I personally refer to them by their known location of capture; Hunt Club, Jasper County, ect. As long as the producer can substantiate his/her claim to a particular location I think that is honest.

I accept that Okeetee can be "a look". But there must the generally accepted characteristics present that enables the specimen to meet the basic okeetee definition. (What those definitions are is a whole 'nother topic of conversation ;))

I can tell you from first hand experience as a collector with a growing collection of true locality Okeetees that the difference between a normal colored corn and an Okeetee is simply unmistakable. It is like the old saying: "I know art when I see it".

Cav, you say that you can tell the difference , but it was cody60 a much less expierienced keeper that started the thread with a question of how to tell the difference. Now if Kat an expierienced keeper has trouble telling the difference "they pretty much look the same as hatchlings" well how could someone new at this know.
It honestly surprised me that you and Kat didn't mention that Okeetee was the name of a locale. Or at least that is how they got thier name. Kat siad that Okeetee was a look with no mention of the hunt club. I think there are probably a lot of hobbiests that don't even no that Okeetee is a place. Some may even think Okeetee means normal corn. I know many think Okeetee is a mutant , based on questions like "what do I get when I breed an Okeetee to a snow?".
Personaly I think the ones breed for the desired look are more atractive, but I think we should at least call them Okeetee phase.

Actually I was referring to the appearance difference in older specimens as opposed to hatchlings. I should have made that more clear.

As far as locale v. look, this topic has been fought over, time and time again on this forum. I agree with you in that the word "phase" should be in used to differentiate look from locality. However, there are many that despise the thought of adding a word and will argue against it until the end of time. To each their own..... I have yet to see a phase that compares to the real thing. ;)

oh well, whether shes got the okeetee patterning on her or not...im happy with her - shes gorgous :)

It honestly surprised me that you and Kat didn't mention that Okeetee was the name of a locale.

All things considered, I figured someone else who was more into the locality stuff would do it. :)

-Kat

Back