• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does anybody know where to buy the rights to a name?

CULEBRA85

JUST ANOTHER JOSH!!! LOL
I have made my mind up on a company name and i want to buy the rights to it. i just dont know where? lol and i wanna take care of it this year cuz next year one of my breeding plans is going to start and i wanna b able to won the name and have a website up by then. Any help would b great!! Thanx

I had to go to my local tax/business license office and apply for a "fictious name" for our business name. Then had to apply for a business license in that name. I also called the IRS for an id number with that name. But don't do like I did and fall for the "since you and your husband are in the business, you have to file as a partnership" like our local business office did. When we went to file taxes, we were told we would need a private accountant and file a separate business return instead of an in-home business like I do my cleaning business. So I called the IRS and explained to them the situation. Since we were at a loss this first year, they told me not to claim any losses and they could change it to a new business as a sole proprietorship and cancel the old business to issue a new number. So the first year's $3000 expenses is down the drain and we had to start all over and pretend it didn't start until this year. I also registered our domain name with godaddy.com. They had a special running so I got it cheap.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations is where you register your fictitious name. It must be renewed every five years between Jan 1 and December 31 of the expiration year. 850 245-6058 PO Box 6327 Tallahassee, FL 32314

I did it on line. I think it cost $75 or something.

Mine was only $10 and I only had to do it once. The business license they base on sales so I haven't had to pay that yet. But it is $10 up to a few thousand. I have to reapply for the fictitious name because it was listed as the partnership the first time.

Thanx for that link Nanci......4riscorn it looks like u had a really hard time with urs.

Not sure if it was hard, but more of no one around here ever applied for a license to sell snakes and geckos from their home I suppose. They looked at us like we were nuts. Kind of peed me off some. I also got a permit from my state since corn snakes are native to VA. That was the easiest part. I don't know why just because we are married they made us orginally file as a partnership. I guess in case the business went big and the marriage went belly up, certain divisions would have to be made. When I contacted the IRS the first time, the man on the phone must have been 80 and kept saying "You want to sell Corn Flakes?" I don't know how many times I had to tell him "NO CORN SNAKES"....took like a 1/2 hr with him. When I called to tell them about the difficulties with trying to do a partnership I spoke to 3 people to make sure I got the right info to the right person. I told the final person about the whole corn flakes thing and he laughed and was very nice. Just sucks that we can't use any of last years start up, purchases and losses for this year since they wiped that partnership clean and said we weren't allowed to report any of it. I am not sure if I can use any of it this year as "business start up" costs or not.

Oh, if you go to Weebly.com, you can get a free website and then go to godaddy to purchase the .com/.net....because it is cheaper than buying it from weebly. Or I suppose you could do the whole thing through godaddy. I just had the weebly thing for a while before deciding to do the .com instead of just weebly.com because it got too much to write.

Back