• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dog attack

I think the owners should be prosecuted. After the dogs escape one time, and either chase children or maul/kill pets, then there needs to be a zero tolerance law for the next time.

I agree completely but what bothers me is that it is always pitbulls that are in the news. If my dog ever should *any* signs of agression I would take action right away. Ive never ever seen an aggressive bull. My dog Gertrude is a bull and is scared of flies!

Anyways, I hope this young girl recovers well and the owner is prosocuted.

This is one breed of dog that all too often is involved in such attacks. Although I really love dogs, and grew up with dogs, this is one breed that wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was done away with. I think owners of potentially dangerous dogs have a responsibility to their community to keep dogs securely chained, and wear a muzzle when been walked.
I know many won't agree with me, but when two pit bulls run loose, often times you read about the aftermath. More so than any other breed.
Dogs are bred for certain things, i.e. retrievers, pointers, spaniels for hunting, border collies, shelties, heelers & australian sheperds for livestock herding. But pit bulls were bred for one thing. And it is instincual for them to have agression in the gentics. Sorry, but this breed needs to be eliminated IMO.

I agree. All of the pits I've met have been very nice dogs. Unfortunately, there is a fad population crisis of pits in my area at the moment. They are VASTLY overpopulated with dogs dying each day in shelters because some teenager thought it'd be "cool" to breed his dogs without having homes lined up.

Unfortunately it is seldom the dogs fault... I would find it a shame that a whole race, even when originally bred for agression, is eliminated because people just don't use their common sense. With good and consistent training from the start, these dogs can be very sweet animals. But people don't always do that, or don't do it well...
I'd be happier with some law that obliges people to follow decent training courses, where the dog as well as the owner are instructed.
Easier said than done of course...

This is one breed of dog that all too often is involved in such attacks. Although I really love dogs, and grew up with dogs, this is one breed that wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was done away with.
The breed has NOTHING to do with it. These owners will just find another breed, and believe me, that breed will become equally aggressive. Pit Bulls are certainly a special breed, and they require a certain type of person, but they aren't prone to aggression, they are just the unfortunate bystander of poor owners that don't know about how to control their dogs aggression (or raise them not to be), or they choose to reinforce the aggression for their own pleasure.

I think owners of potentially dangerous dogs have a responsibility to their community to keep dogs securely chained, and wear a muzzle when been walked.
Every dog owner that has ever brought a new dog home has brought home a "Potentially" dangerous dog. Whether it's a Chihuahua, Labrador Retriever, or Pit Bull. It is always the responsibility of the owner to, not only securely control your dog, but also to go through the proper steps of training/raising, to ensure that you won't have these issues. And if these issues arise, it is the responsibility of the owners to work around them, provide the dog with a life that can still be rewarding, and make certain that the no one will ever be at the mercy of it's aggression.

I know many won't agree with me, but when two pit bulls run loose, often times you read about the aftermath. More so than any other breed.
And you hear about snake attacks more than attacks by deer, it's just the nature of the beast. I go by what I see, and every Pit Bull that I've ever seen has been wonderful. It's 100% due to proper training/raising.

Dogs are bred for certain things, i.e. retrievers, pointers, spaniels for hunting, border collies, shelties, heelers & australian sheperds for livestock herding. But pit bulls were bred for one thing. And it is instincual for them to have agression in the gentics. Sorry, but this breed needs to be eliminated IMO.
It's a very bad misconception that Pit Bulls are pre-disposed to aggression. They have certain traits that are unique to them, and their strong willed nature can lead to signs of aggression, but all is manageable with responsible owners.

It is a ver sad thing and in this case I think the owners are definitely at fault. The dogs had a history of aggression and were still allowed to run free. I am amazed buy how unthinking some dog owners are. If I wanted dog poop on my lawn I’d buy my own dog. Just because you like dogs does not obligate everyone in the neighborhood to like them as well. I have a friend who has several hundred cattle. What would happen if he allowed them to roam the streets unattended?

Pit bulls are a tough subject. I know lots of people who have them and love them. The swear they are the sweetest dog you’ll ever know. I think that is probably true. But it does seem they are involved in this kind of thing often. If nothing else, pit bull owners had better be extremely vigilant in keeping track of their animals. I personally would not want that liability hanging over my head.

Could you live with yourself if your dog killed a little girl?

The breed has NOTHING to do with it. These owners will just find another breed, and believe me, that breed will become equally aggressive. Pit Bulls are certainly a special breed, and they require a certain type of person, but they aren't prone to aggression, they are just the unfortunate bystander of poor owners that don't know about how to control their dogs aggression (or raise them not to be), or they choose to reinforce the aggression for their own pleasure.

Every dog owner that has ever brought a new dog home has brought home a "Potentially" dangerous dog. Whether it's a Chihuahua, Labrador Retriever, or Pit Bull. It is always the responsibility of the owner to, not only securely control your dog, but also to go through the proper steps of training/raising, to ensure that you won't have these issues. And if these issues arise, it is the responsibility of the owners to work around them, provide the dog with a life that can still be rewarding, and make certain that the no one will ever be at the mercy of it's aggression.

And you hear about snake attacks more than attacks by deer, it's just the nature of the beast. I go by what I see, and every Pit Bull that I've ever seen has been wonderful. It's 100% due to proper training/raising.

It's a very bad misconception that Pit Bulls are pre-disposed to aggression. They have certain traits that are unique to them, and their strong willed nature can lead to signs of aggression, but all is manageable with responsible owners.

Excellent. It is NOT the breed. I think those little kicker yappy dogs are scarier than a pit bull.

Every dog owner that has ever brought a new dog home has brought home a "Potentially" dangerous dog. Whether it's a Chihuahua, Labrador Retriever, or Pit Bull.

Mike, I edited you post down heavily, but I really don’t agree with you. There is no question that any dog has the potential to bite some one. But not any dog has the ability to tear someone apart. So we can eliminate all the small dogs from the conversation.

I decided to actually do a little research before I responded. I was shocked at what I found. Here is a link to the site I am quoting. . DOG BITE STUDY

The most recent official survey, conducted more than a decade ago, determined there were 4.7 million dog bite victims annually in the USA. A more recent study showed that 1,000 Americans per day are treated in emergency rooms as a result of dog bites. In 2007 there were 33 fatal dog attacks in the USA. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year, with over $300 million paid by homeowners insurance.

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price

That is pretty scary. I might have a hard time defending Pit Bulls and Rottweilers after reading that. I think that last paragraph says it all. Any dog can have a bad day, even a well trained one Michael. When a big dog has a bad day someone gets hurt.

This is one breed of dog that all too often is involved in such attacks. Although I really love dogs, and grew up with dogs, this is one breed that wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was done away with. I think owners of potentially dangerous dogs have a responsibility to their community to keep dogs securely chained, and wear a muzzle when been walked.

I disagree completely. These dogs are a very powerfully breed and not for a newbie dog owner. They need to be trained from a very young age but they are terrific dogs. I have yet to meet a pit bull that had a mean bone in its' body, even ones that weren't properly trained and were extremely hyper were still very kind dogs. They were good with other dogs, animals and children. The people who do not take action to fix any signs of agression and do not keep their dogs secure are the ones that need to be punished. I have not owned a pit bull yet but have owned two rotties who were also the sweetest dogs and my sister has a pit bull who much rather run away from you then ever bite you. The dog gets along with their two cats, and two kids and love to swim in the pool with them and she loves all other dogs.

I've had more issues with other breeds of dogs but never pit bulls. I had a lab and a chow try to attack me when they were running loose and a chow killed my cat and went after my nephew. I've also been bite by another lab and my nephew was bite by a shepard mix. Oh and let's not forget the small breed dogs, I've been bite by lots of them and I am certain they have bit more people than pit bulls but since they are so small they don't leave much damage.

Some breeds are more predisposed to become aggressive yes but if they are trained and cared for properly that all can be avoided so instead of blaming the dogs' you should be blaming their owners for not preventing it. Saying that an animal needs to be eliminated because some owners are not capable of providing the traing they need is like sating we should lose our snakes because a few stupid owners release their's or someone got killed by their pet snake. It isn't fair to judge a whole group becasue of a few.

I really don't even wanna get into this.. as it infuriates me. I am a bully owner..and used to Foster them as well. I used to have 5 dogs in my house.. and 1 of them was NOT a bully. And she would eat someone before the pits would.

I put a lot of the blame on the dog owner. Don't get me wrong. But pit bulls are a fad dog, and often are owned by people who really lack the knowledge of proper animal husbandry. That's what makes this breed so dangerous in my opinion. There are many dogs that were bred for their protective qualities. And those dogs also can be dangerous under the care of someone lacking the knowledge of proper dog handling. Instints though are a tough thing to breed out of a dog.

I think those little kicker yappy dogs are scarier than a pit bull.

Although many of those little yappy dogs can be nippy, it's usually just a nip or two. In so many cases of attacks by pit bulls, once they decide to attack, they don't stop. It becomes a life threatening mauling.

Pit bulls were bred for one thing...to be large game hunting and farm/livestock dogs (one of the reasons I considered getting one before I found my boxer mix...). It is not an instinctual thing for them to be aggressive. Every pit I've met has been an absolute sweetheart. My 90 pound, very frail aunt (she has a lot of health issues) has had nothing but pits her entire adult life and has two of them now. She has no issues with them and are fantastic companions to her.

Fantastic post Michael!

Excellent. It is NOT the breed. I think those little kicker yappy dogs are scarier than a pit bull.

Agreed.

The hard part with this whole conversation is that you have one group who doesn’t want to have their children eaten and another group who loves their dogs. If you and set your emotions aside for just a second and consider this. All dogs, even loved and well trained dogs, have a bad day. When a poodle has a bad day the cuff of my pants get torn. When a pit bull has a bad day a little girl dies.

I don’t think you can argue with that. I don’t think you can justify that.

We had neighbors for a while that had Pits....
They attacked my dog once. Then about a year later, they broke through their fence and charged myself and my son, backing me up to my own front door with teeth bared, growling and lunging at us the whole time. I called the cops. The owners at first denied it could have been their dogs - they were supposedly still in the yard. Cops checked and of course they weren't there. Called animal control. Finally tracked them down and found out they had attacked another woman and actually ripped her thumb off and had killed someone else's small dog.

I have a fear of them ever since. (Except for Nanci's Bella). I am not one to believe that a breed is bad, but that experience really left me with a bad taste for Pits. I know it is more than likely the owners fault in my case, but I can't help it. It was one of the most terrifying experiences I have ever had.

However, that being said, any dog can bite. Even labs, golden retrievers and other "family friendly" dogs are listed in dog bite statistics. It really is all about how the dog is raised. I have a rottweiler and she is the biggest baby in the world. I cannot imagine her ever biting anyone, yet rotties are also often listed as a "bully breed".

Back