• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

EASY RACK BUILD!!!!

So here it is. It cost me right at $45 dollars to build. (I already had heat, and a Johnson Thermostat). This is made from 2 of those Walmart Mainstays 3 shelf bookcases, but can also just as easily be done with the 5 shelf model.

Materials:
2-3 Shelf Bookcases from Walmart : $30
1 package of 1" wood screws from Walmart : $2
6-22" long 1"x1/2" 'square' dowels : $12 (Can be had much cheaper at a home improvement store, ie. Home Depot or Lowe's....but I did my shopping late and went ahead and got these at Walmart)

Tools:
Drill-(or a Phillips head screwdriver...be careful with the drill, you can easily split the square dowels)
Hammer
Jigsaw-to cut your square dowels, or you can have the guys at the store do it.

-----------------------------------
1. Open your bookshelves and separate the pieces into piles.

2. Take your square dowels that have already been cut to size and connect the side panels of the bookcases together using the wood screws and drill. REMEMBER to go slow because you WILL split the wood....I did ;)
Rack001.jpg

3. Continue assembling the bookshelves according to manufacturer instructions. Make sure to use both of the small "dams" they provide. Even though one won't be visible, it will help support the middle.
Rack003.jpg

4. Before you nail down the back for the rack, I would cut little grommets for your wiring to come out of.
Rack004.jpg

This is what you should have now. Basically the bookshelf, but twice as deep.
Rack005.jpg

5. Slide your shelves onto the square dowels. The dowels not only connect the 2 cases, but also will serve to hold up your shelves...much sturdier than the little pins in the holes.
Rack007.jpg

6. Tape your flexwatt down where you want it and feed the wires through your "grommets".
Rack009.jpg

7. Mount your thermostat or other heating control device to your rack wherever you'd like it. And plug in your flexwatt.
Rack011.jpg

Wired with flexwatt to the thermostat. Shelves in.
Rack012.jpg

Happy new tenants!
Rack013.jpg

This rack gives you 4 shelves (including the top of the unit) that are each 23"X28". I will have two 12qts per shelf or one 32qt Sterilite latchbox per shelf. You will need lids, as the shelves are not close enough to go lidless (I always have the lids on regardless)

Again...$45 to build!!!!!!!!! (And it don't look too bad neither!) :crazy02:
Comes in white, brown, and black. Finally make yourself a unit to match your entertainment center!

Let me know what you all think of it!

If you want taller you could always pick up the 5-shelf bookcases that walmart sells. :)

Ditto. Those are $25 a piece which would put you right around $60.
I don't know if I'd stack 2 of the 3 shelf models...the weight limits per the instructions are as follows:

Very top of unit, and the very bottom shelf of unit each hold approx. 50 lbs. The middle adjustable shelves hold approx. 35 lbs. each.

I got it from Reptilebasics.com. If you buy the connectors and stuff he'll wire it free. But I found out the American Rodent Supply that is about 10 miles away from me has it in stock in LARGE quantities because it's also a site where they build their racks. When I got for more I am going to get it there.

Thanks! It'd be so nice to have someone wire it for me. My husband isn't sure if he can do it and I don't want him to do it if he's not 100% sure he can. Though I have a pretty straight forward, simple tutorial that I found...

Anyway, thanks again. :D

Thanks, I'm thinking I will. :cool:

I get my flex watt from Rich and Reptile basics and let him wire it. Just figure out how long a shelf you will be using. I use a shelf from Lowes and just get Rich to make the flexwatt 4 feet long.

Oh all right. I was actually wondering what I'd do about length... I guess that's the obvious reason. :p The more I think about the more I believe I'll just have him do it. I know it'll be done right, I won't have to nag my husband or myself either for that matter... And since it appears to be free with supplies, why not use it? :cool:

Thanks guys!

I actually took this idea and made a modified version of it to work with the 5 shelf bookcase. The 5 shelf is a little wobbly (trying to find a way to shore it up) but it's working well. I'll put up some pictures later if you all want.

That is a beautiful rack. I thought of putting bookcases together like that as well. I'm glad it works so when it's time to built a serpent complex, I can follow in the footsteps of someone wiser. I was wondering, is it possible to put ball pythons and corns in the same rack. Or would that stress the snakes out too much?

Ok so here's a picture I took of the 5 shelf. I made extra shelves using particleboard that are made to the perfect height for 28qt tubs. The bottom ones hold corns and the rest hold crested geckos and spare tanks for now.
Newsnakerack.jpg

Oh that looks so freaking nice! I have one 5-shelf bookcase right now, I'm gonna have to pick up another one. Thanks for sharing pics!

What I did for extra shelves was I took one of bookcase shelves to home depot, found someone in the lumber department and went, "excuse could you find me particle or something of a similar thickness and cut me some pieces that would be the size of two of this shelf?" and they did!

Oh yes, Home Depot is pretty good about that. I haven't actually had them cut anything for me, but I've heard before that they cut lumber to the customer's specifications. Very nice if you don't have the proper tools to do so yourself. :cool:

Back