• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

egg cutting advice/help needed

doovoo

Inconsequential.
Okay, so I have an egg here that I gave up for dead as it never seemed to gain in size, and began turning a pale grey/green over the past couple of weeks. Thereby, I decided to cut it open and see what might have been ...but looks were deceiving. There's a little(!!!) snake moving around in there.

The eggs are near full term (50+ days now), and he/she looks completely healthy apart from being extremely tiny.

However, now the egg is turning green (molding) around the top portion of the shell where I cut, and the umbilical (?) is no longer a healthy bright red as it was at first.

The little guy/gal is still moving about quite readily inside the fluid, and I was curious if I should let it emerge on it's own at this point, or remove him before he/she (potentially) drowns...?

I'm a first time 'cutter', so any sage advice in this regard will be most welcome.

Trevor

I actually have no help to offer you on that....but I wish you luck! Especially with a small baby ^^ Hope it all turns out alright...

If the egg is slit enough, the hatchling can emerge if it wants to. However, removing it too soon may be it's death sentence. I don't know if it's possible to successfully incubate a premature hatchling outside of the shell. I did have a hatchling emerge while it still had a good size yolk still attached. I kept the hatchling and the yolk moist in hopes the hatchling would absorb as much as it needed to. It survived a few more days, but then died. I wish you luck with this hatchling and I would recommend that you let Nature take it's course. Let the hatchling leave the egg when it's ready, but if it dies due to the mold, it was intended to die all along.

Thanks Susan, I'll just let it be for the moment then and see what fate has in store for this little one.

I'll post when there's more to report...

Trevor

Back