• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Egg incubation

Amartin7226

Hello My female corn is about to lay eggs again for approximately the 5th time and the past three litters have been terrible because Ive been incubating them the way the person who gave it 2 me did which is wrong. How do I incubate my eggs? I have heard vermiculite in a shoebox but I'm not sure how

You need to worry about 2 things, humidity and temps. Keeping them in a (plastic) shoebox with moist vermiculite works if you get the temps right, 82 degrees is a good temp give or take a few degrees, but if you do a search on 'incubating' you'll find a lot of info on other threads. I have an incubator and I use moss so I'm not the vermiculite expert here.

Hello Amartin7226,

It is great that you have not given up hope in breeding your snakes. After 5 tiems, most people would have frowned and never tryed again. People who never stop trying are not failures, because they are learning each mistake they make. You fail when you quit without a positive result from your past mistakes.

Ok... Now if you browse the internet or look at other snake books out there. You can find diagrams of incabaters made with a 10 gallon fish tank, 2 small bricks, a plastic container, and a fish tank heater. But I have learnd that if you do not want to invest into a hovabater. You can get a old broken fridge. and strip out it's guts and run a large heatpat into it and place it on the bottum and use rectangle plastic containers with Perlite in them. You will have no problem hatching your snakes.

Now just so I dont get to far ahead of myself... Let me tell you how to set up the plastic containers with your eggs.

I would fill the containers with about and inch or 2 with Perlite. Or enough so you can put the lid on the container without it touching the eggs. Then I poor and spray water onto the Perlite. I mix it while I am makeing it wet. When it is all damp, place it back into the Fridg and you are all set. When all her eggs are layed, just pick them up and put them into the container with the Perlite. Make sure you do not rotate the eggs. Put them into the cintainer the same direction they are when she layed them. After that all you have to do is put a thermomiter into the fridge. And moke sure you keep the temprature around 80* and no higher then 85*.

Then weight about 2-3 months and they will hatch. The peopel here tought me that I dont need to check on them every day or every other day. Each time you check on them you are changeing there temp and humidety. The nice part about useing a fridge is that with a small incabater, each time you open it all the heat has left the container. But with a fridge more of it stays inside.

I hope this helps. Search the internet for Fridg incabaters. Good luck.

By the way... If she is to young or not big enough, she will not have big litters or healthy eggs. Some people talk about hibernateing them. But I have never done that. I think this next year I will read up on it and see how it changes from my past 3 litters. A Book that alot of us cornsnake lovers fallow is a book called "The Cornsnake Manual" Get it! And read it from front to back. It is like the #1 cornsnake book out there. My next breeding project is going to be Gopher snakes, Indigo Snakes, and/or Red tailed boas.

When I first started incubating eggs, I always added too much water, and some of the eggs drowned or molded to death. Now I follow the recommendation to weigh the Vermiculite and add an equal weight of water. So if the Vermiculite weighs four ounces, then I add four fluid ounces of water from a measuring cup that I got at the local K-Mart. I usually have to add a little more water about half way through the incubation period, but that's no great trouble.

If you don't have air conditioning, then you don't even need an incubator.

Second the recommendation for Kathy Love's The Corn Snake Manual. It is excellent!

Good luck.

I"m finding that I like the perlite as it doesn't take in water as vermiculite does so you have less chance of the eggs getting too wet as the vermiculite binds to them. You can pour water directly into perlite and it just goes thru it to the bottom of the egg container keeping the humidity up, but not drowning them.

I prefer to stick to sphagum moss, Just soak it in a bowl of water, then squezze all water you can out of it and let it sit in a plastic shoebox w/ the lid off for a day (this gets the water to moss ratio just right by letting air out abit) then kust move the eggs on top and put a white paper towel on it and spray the paper towel every day, this works in FL, dont know what the temps are where you are, but Ive had excellent luck with pine, corn, and milk eggs with this method, also its good to put 2 air holes with a souldering iron one each side of the shoe box to help the eggs recirulate air. Hope This helps (p.s wear safety goggles :grin01: )

Just to throw this in...

I use plastic shoeboxes and damp paper towels. And this year I bought a cheap box and it didn't seal. So I went to a deli container I purchased baked beans in. I found a good place with the correct temps, in the snake room was fine, and success.

Attachments

• eggs I.jpg
    eggs I.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 64
  • eggs II.jpg
    eggs II.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62
Those are huge eggs! My girls were much rounder and smaller. She had a large clutch though and she's not a huge girl. 3 1/2 ft. and about 346 grams.

Back