• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Emerald Tree Boa Question,

RyanR

Canadian Boa Fanatic.
Alright, Well i know they LOVE humidity, And everyone suggests either keeping them in the equivalent of a rubbermaid box, or a special made viv for this species, I was wondering, If i modified the largest exo terra, Took off the screen top, and fit a plexi glass slab on top, and drilled the plexi, so the viv was able to handle high humidity, would this be a sufficient enclosure for a Emerald Then?
Heat pad over half of the bottom, Subtrate being sphagmus moss. and adding removable perches,

Let me know what you think.
thanks!

I've not kept ETBs at all, much less in Exo-Terras, but I do know that alot of people modify them for the high humidity requirements of dart frogs. There is a message board called Dendroboard, that has numerous posts about modifying Exo Terra enclosures to a more high humidity environment that should be helpful.

I've used aquaria in the past, and right now, between the shop at home, I'm using Vision cages, and ExoTerra/ZooMed terrariums for Emeralds

I'd HIGHLY suggest the terrariums. Plant them. You'll love it. It'll look good, and the animal will love it as well. I should get a newer pic, but here's one that will work

normal_gmorknewcage.jpg

its the largest ExoTerra
I have NOT modified the top at all
I find NO NEED to do so in my snake room
you will also NEED VENTILATION

With the planted terrarium and the wide open top, I've been getting perfect sheds and defecations. Why'd I mention the defecations? The Emerald pictured would never poop in his cage prior to putting this together. Once a month or whenever he looked blocked up I'd have to take him into the shower for 5-10 minutes. I did that for over a year.

Hey, The Nothing.. Thanks for that..
i did ALOT more reading and found an AWESOME site, that explained the need for ventalation, the perks of good screen to get air in and out, and the need for a temperature and humidity drop at night,
It said to mist every morning as the heat lights come back on, and the humidity will rise all day, and at night drop again,
the site had lots of pictures, and the guy has been breeding etbs for years,
I think im going to make some perches, and plant the tank,
I have 2 weeks before my ETB gets here... What should i use for a subtrate. and what are good plants for ETB vivs?
Thanks in advance

Also, What do you find the best way to heat the exo terras?

I heard a small UTH on bottom to evaporate the water, a 100 watt day buld on during the day, the keep the temps at 82, and then a 50wat CHE or red build for at night, to keep the temps about 8 degrees lower,

if you have anything you can tell me from first hand experience, please do!

Also, What do you find the best way to heat the exo terras?

I heard a small UTH on bottom to evaporate the water, a 100 watt day buld on during the day, the keep the temps at 82, and then a 50wat CHE or red build for at night, to keep the temps about 8 degrees lower,

if you have anything you can tell me from first hand experience, please do!

I heat the room, so thats not so much of an issue for me
however
In experimentation at the shop, an XL ExoTerra should have a 100w CHE in one corner using a perch setup similar to mine. No other heating element will be necessary. If you have one perch up and back, right under the CHE, that'll create a 90F hotspot under the lamp, and directly opposite (say down and to the left if the CHE is in the right rear) would be about 75F. Don't worry about night drops unless you plan on breeding. Even then you have a few years before you have to think about that...

The EASIEST terrarium plant is Pothos. You can find it nearly anywhere, and it will grow in nearly any situation, so long as it has water and a lil bit of light.

Is there any other first hand experience you could lend me?

Ive kept JCP's ATB's RTB's BP's Corns, and Various other snakes..
ETB is another step up... so i need some extra guidance, thanks

Alright, Thanks. What do you suggest for a subtrate? and how long should the plants be planted before introducing the snake,
Also you said a CHE was ok? once christmas comes would it be better to upgrade to a Radiant heat Panel,

And how exactly did you go about making your perches, Thanks again

RyanR

For live plants, you'll need to follow rules for terrariums. Use something to allow soil to drain like gravel or hydroton. Hydroton is an explanded clay pellet that you should be able to find at a lot of gardening centers. Lighter than gravel, though still a bit heavy. You can see a bit of this in my picture on the first page. On top of the hydroton use a nylon screen like you'd have for windows. This will keep the soil from seeping into the hydroton. I use a mix of ecoearth-style compressed coconut peat and fine topsoil. Make sure the topsoil is organic and without fertilizers, manure, etc. With this combination, you'll be good for most easy terrarium plants like Pothos. Water frequently to keep the soil kinda damp.

You can do all of that at anytime. Emeralds spend VERY LITTLE time on the ground and shouldn't damage the plants at all.

If you can get a RHP, by all means do it. You will love it.

As for the perch, I had thought I had posted it here before, and I'm trying to find the thread... unfortunately i'll have to link to another forum
http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6475

That should tell you all about my perches :)

Reactions: cka
One day I'd love to have an ETB.

Have to agree...Some of the older members may remember the magazine "Ranger Rick". In the late 70's (I think lol) they had an article on ETB's and it fascinated me. It mentioned "blue phase" babies and the author had a picture of himself after being bitten on the nose! That I remember it also had other reptile keeping-related articles.

Thanks for all the tips, Isaac :)

Back