• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Even tmps

promethear

First off, let me thank all of you who chimed in regarding Rhozko;s regurges. While he had started keeping his meanls down, he was not doing well. He had become listless and feeble. This being the case, I thought it was best for him if I donated him to the local reptile specialty shop. They have more experience and a better chance of heloing him recover.

Having said that...I now have a Snow Corn named 'slick'. Mostly because he had escaped into the car within 5 min after purchasing him.

It occurs to me that my cool side temp is VERY random. I have no heat or air conditioning in my place. I am thinking about getting a second heat mat and thermostat set for the low side temp. Does anyone else have to do this? Also, during the summer, it very well may get hot enough so that both sides hit 90+ during the day. Any suggestions about this?

The cool side isn't too much of a worry if it fluctuates. With a warm end, you'll always have cooler zones on the tank floor, even if these change with ambient room temps. As long as you have the warm end regulated and enough ground cover, the snake will always be able to move to the temp that suits him best at that moment.

If the room temp will hit 90 and you have no aircon, then you might want to consider getting a fan to train on the viv in hotter weather. The stat will make sure the heat stays off as long as it's not needed.

Thanl you. For ground cover...should I use fake foliage, or is deep enough substrate best? I have been looking for decent plants for a few days.

They love to burrow, so a substrate like aspen is what most people tend to go for. However I've also seen lots of people add a bit of colour (other than the snake!) to the viv with fake plants as well. It's up to you if you do that, but don't skip out the substrate, and make sure the temperature reading on the warm side is taken from underneath, because that's where it's hottest.
:)

For ground cover...should I use fake foliage, or is deep enough substrate best?
I use plastic foliage, but then I don't have any burrowers. You do get Corns who like to dig around but I think all of my heatmats come with instructions not to have substrate above them any deeper than one inch.

Went and got some plastic foliage. Probably went a bit overboard, But slick seems to like it. First time Ive seen him in a few days...he's exploring =)

Attachments

• Vivarium2.jpg
    Vivarium2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Vivarium1.jpg
    Vivarium1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 29
Back