• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Expo

I somehow missed your answer to my questions about the water dishes.
Thank you for answering it. :)

I'm glad that you are happy with your decision, and that you had fun!
Thanks for the update and post.

Thanks for the account, Rich. I had been curious.....
(I got to meet Mr. Rich and Ms. Connie Zuchowski, people, and it was a great pleasure!)
Rich, I cannot even begin to grasp the magnitude of what it must have been like for you to vend a SerpenCo table at an expo like that.
Prior to this year, I have never ever been to anything at all like that in my life.
The weekend is still all a giant nebulous unprocessed sensory overload.
There were FWCC people there? I wonder if I mowed done one or several...LOL.
Thanks for having been part of 'Something' (a hobby, an industry, a science, an art) that has given me something fresh and new, over the last two years, to enrich my life at this not especially young age that I am.

There were a couple of things I saw at the show that did have me scratching my head over.

(1) One table had some aberrant Nelson's milk snakes that looked as close to death's door as a living animal could be and still be alive. Matter of fact, I've seen roadkills that looked more robust and healthy looking. I'm surprised that animals of that quality (or lack thereof) were allowed into that show. I hope the guy(s) trying to sell them were unsuccessful, as I would be surprised that they made it home for any buyer who picked them up. That was something I certainly did not expect to see at Expo.

(2) Maybe they have always been there over the years, and I just never saw them, but there was a table at the show selling spiders and scorpions. What struck me as strange about that was because I thought the show wouldn't allow even rear fanged snakes to be displayed or sold, and quite certainly some of these invertebrates can cause much more painful, and sometimes deadly, bites than most of the rear fanged snakes can accomplish. Granted, at many of those shows at Expo, I never had a chance to peruse the entire show, so possibly this is normal, but still, it did surprise me.

There were a couple of things I saw at the show that did have me scratching my head over.

(2) Maybe they have always been there over the years, and I just never saw them, but there was a table at the show selling spiders and scorpions. What struck me as strange about that was because I thought the show wouldn't allow even rear fanged snakes to be displayed or sold, and quite certainly some of these invertebrates can cause much more painful, and sometimes deadly, bites than most of the rear fanged snakes can accomplish. Granted, at many of those shows at Expo, I never had a chance to peruse the entire show, so possibly this is normal, but still, it did surprise me.

I don't follow? There were a TON of Hognose snakes there, and they are rear fanged. Were those not supposed to be there? I didn't see any other rear fanged species, but the only other rear fanged animal I would have been interested in would have been a Mangrove snake so...

I don't follow? There were a TON of Hognose snakes there, and they are rear fanged. Were those not supposed to be there? I didn't see any other rear fanged species, but the only other rear fanged animal I would have been interested in would have been a Mangrove snake so...

Expo rules -> http://www.reptilebreedersexpo.com/2010/rules.html

Item number 5 under Vendors:
5. No venomous species are permitted, no rear fanged and no venomoid-altered animals are permitted.

LOL that vendor is a regular at the Ohio shows that I go to!

Somehow hoggies were ok... Not sure what was with that?

I've seen that happen at a couple of shows as well Rich. I guess the only way to get a solid answer would be to email Wayne and ask him. Venomous is venomous, regardless of species, skin, or fur.

Would be a shame if there were no hoggies though. Such interesting creatures.

I've seen that happen at a couple of shows as well Rich. I guess the only way to get a solid answer would be to email Wayne and ask him. Venomous is venomous, regardless of species, skin, or fur.

Would be a shame if there were no hoggies though. Such interesting creatures.

Wayne has never really been open to question nor advice concerning his show.

I think the fact that the show was down by 100 tables from last year probably is the answer in itself. From what I have seen, show promoters are highly discriminatory (in a GOOD way) concerning vendors when they have the hall filled and a waiting list for openings. Heck, I've been to gun shows where it was difficult to find guns on the tables.... Obviously the promoter just needed to fill tables to make ends meet, and wasn't quibbling about who wanted them.

Wayne certainly didn't have an issue with the vendor selling large size photos/posters of nude women and reptiles. They were clearly in view and I witnessed a mom trying to explain to her son (probably less than 10 yo) about the pictures. It was a bit awkward for her to say the least.

I was very disappointed in the promoter, his staff and even F&G. After all, they are a division of law enforcement.

dc

Yeah,I saw those, too. I was surprised they didn't make them put black tape, or something over those. That should NOT have been aloud.

(1) One table had some aberrant Nelson's milk snakes that looked as close to death's door as a living animal could be and still be alive. Matter of fact, I've seen roadkills that looked more robust and healthy looking. I'm surprised that animals of that quality (or lack thereof) were allowed into that show. I hope the guy(s) trying to sell them were unsuccessful, as I would be surprised that they made it home for any buyer who picked them up. That was something I certainly did not expect to see at Expo.

The spiders and scorpions have been there for atleast as long as the show has been in Daytona. I dont remember if there were spider and scorpion venders when it was held in Orlando. I dont know the vender but from what I see he or she does a really good job with there table and animals. I until now never really thought of it that way. It is kinda messed up that they can have such venomous animals at a nonvenomous show. It was nice a few years back when they had the Venomous Expo the same weekend accross the street.

Wayne has never really been open to question nor advice concerning his show.

I think the fact that the show was down by 100 tables from last year probably is the answer in itself. From what I have seen, show promoters are highly discriminatory (in a GOOD way) concerning vendors when they have the hall filled and a waiting list for openings. Heck, I've been to gun shows where it was difficult to find guns on the tables.... Obviously the promoter just needed to fill tables to make ends meet, and wasn't quibbling about who wanted them.

I second that. Wayne is not very approchable about anything really. When I was bartending I had some bikers come in during the day one time. I talked and hung out with them for awhile. What can I say bikers tip very well lol. But anyways so one of the bikers I was talking with asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I told him how I want to own a pet store and be a big reptile breeder. He then told me about how he was related to Wayne. I thought that was really cool. I tried to talk to Wayne about this at the show that year and he really could not care. I was pretty offended to say the least.

Wayne certainly didn't have an issue with the vendor selling large size photos/posters of nude women and reptiles. They were clearly in view and I witnessed a mom trying to explain to her son (probably less than 10 yo) about the pictures. It was a bit awkward for her to say the least.

I was very disappointed in the promoter, his staff and even F&G. After all, they are a division of law enforcement.

dc

I brought my 7 and 9 year olds there. I was pretty upset about that table. In the past they have always had some kind of nude or erotic stuff. But it was tasteful. This table and vender was just down right dirty. I can not believe that such a table and display was aloud. In the 15+years I have attended the big show I really disgusted for the first time ever. Now dont get me wrong I have a kinda nude poster on the wall in my snake room from Bill Love. Its a funny one of 2 nude girls (only part of a nip shown) holding a large Albino Burm. It says "Practice safe snakes. Handle big ones with a pal." Lol!!! But that table was just very distasteful and out in the open.

Back