• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fancy Mice Part Deux

Dale

Interventions won't work
Well, a little while back, I confessed my new found affinity for "pretty mice" as a warped by product of breeding my own feeders. I had a problem finding anything other than albinos in my area. The local pet store did stock fancys (pieds), but males only and usually no more than one at a time.

Well weeks, maybe months ago at this point, I produced my first generation of Agouti from these 2 boys, raised them up, crossed them and produced the below. Got this crew of kids together for a group shot and have 2 or 3 other cages of the same. Somewhere in there I produced a silver/blue? I'm still far from versed on mouse color terminology, but I like him.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 125
I had the opposite problem. Our stores stock fancy mice females only and males can only be had in white lab mice or feeder mice only. Your project looks to be going good Dale. Congrats on your success.

I enjoy seeing what kinds of babies I get from my feeders too! I have produced a few blue ones now, not sure how or where they popped up as I've never had any before but I have one female that for 3 litters in a row produced 1 blue male and 1blue female, I've kept back all the girls and I have a spotted white and blue girl now as well, by far my favorite color. I also have some cute ones that are almost white but not, just a really light greyish cream color with "Siamese" points as well (darker ears and noses) they are horribly cute!

All dark eyed...With doing a bit of reading I also found out the blue came about when a strain of leukemia was introduced to mice in a lab (I read this on a care/info sheet somewhere now I can't find the exact one again), the ones that are born now however don't carry the disease but are slightly more susceptible to similar diseases than there other coat color counterparts. (If the source was reliable that is)

You know they show mice and have some gorgeous varieties. There is the American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association
www.afrma.org
I think if you are going to breed feeders you may as well have fun doing it. Yours are lovely by the way. I raise rats that also come in an amazing array of color, points and fur.

The baby in my photo is registered. Her name is Willow's Ruffled Fan. She is a Sealpoint Rex. It cracks me up about these guys with their long pedigreed names. I call her Ruffles.

Back