• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeder Size?

Renigaed

Hi everyone, I have a year 1/2 old corn snake, and I'm looking to transfer her to the next size in feeders. She is currently on F/T hopper mice, and it's gotten to the point where I can no longer see them at her widest girth. So I went to the store and bought some small adult mice, and they definitely look too big. They are about twice the size (maybe a little larger) than the hopper mice, but that's the next size up from the hoppers. I asked the woman at the pet store and she said I could try Small Fuzzy Rats, and that that's in between the size of Hopper mice-Small Adult mice. What do you guys think I should go with? I will be able to update you with my snake's weight tomorrow if you're wondering about that!

Thank you for all advice!

how much does your snake weigh?

if you don't know get a scale and weigh her.

Most of us feed based on the weight of the snake and the weight of the feeders.

<munson feeding plan>

snake's weight in grams / weight of mice in grams
4 to 15 ------ 3
16 to 23 ------- 4
24 to 30 ------- 6
31 to 50 ------- 8
51 to 90 ------- 10
91 to 170 ------ 16
171 to 300 ------- 25
301 + ------- 30

And yes rats of the proper weight are acceptable, a corn snake is a "Rat Snake" and they eat rats, mice, moles, birds, all types of animals in the wild and you'd be surprised how big an item they could swallow.

My snake is not yet even 1 year old and he is eating 19 gram adult mice weekly.

That's incredibly helpful! I will be weighing her tomorrow and I will buy some feeders based on her weight. Thanks a bunch!

I wouldn't feed rat pups, unless you want to continue feeding rats. I've had lots of corns develop a preference and they're hard to wean back to mice. Rats are a lot more expensive. You can make any size mouse easier to digest by slitting crosswise slits down its back. I wouldn't feed a mouse that is more than 1.5 times your snake's diameter at her widest part- just feed the biggest hoppers, maybe at a more frequent interval. You can look at the Munson Chart and feed an equal weight of smaller mice. You can also feed partial mice- like headless.

Just weighed her, she is 207 grams, and the new mice I bought are about 20 grams, so she will be just fine. Thanks so much everyone!!

she will love those bigger mice, and yes the 10 gram is a bit too small. But don't throw them out, if you have some of them left you can feed 2 at a time till they are gone.

She just happily chowed down on the 20 gram. I have one other small one that I will feed her in 5-7 days or so as a snack before I feed her another big one lol. She ate one of the small ones on Sunday and she was still fairly hungry today!

Back