• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding behavior question

LittleNami

Hey everyone! Just got done feeding my little Pavlushka today when she showed me some unusual behaviors. Well, in truth she showed me something weird last time too, but for me it seemed normal for a growing girl ^^

Anyways, I normally feed my girl by placing her in a tuperware container with the pinky and then set her in, just so she doesn't associate me taking her out all the time, or opening her cage, as feeding time. But this time, she did something strange and I was wondering if it was normal for other corns or if she was just being odd with me. She was trying to eat her pinky leg first and horizonally >< so to be kind, I put my hand in there and readjusted the pinky head first so she could eat it, since otherwise it would have taken her some time to readjust herself. As I did so, however, she began to twitch her tail like a rattlesnake, causing a rattle sound against the tuperware. When she had a good grip on the pinky, I then picked her up, hearing that same rattlesnake sound again, before setting her carefully in her viv so she could finish in piece and then settle in. Is this tail twitching normal because I was interfering with her feeding?

Also, the previous week, when I had given her the pinky, she went mad for it and wrapped around it quickly, as if trying to strangulate the already dead mouse. I am guessing this is normal reaction, though, for what is to come as she is given live prey, no?

Any help on the first matter is greatly appreciated ^^ Just want to understand my little one as well as possible.

Rattling her tail is just her way of telling you "Hey! That's my mouse!". They rattle their tails to try to intimidate you, or because they are afraid and are trying to defend themselves. The constricting is normal behavior too. I think its wonderful that she is already constricting her frozen thawed pinky. That's always a good sign, and is very healthy for them too because it builds thier muscle tone. If you don't mind my asking, what color is she? Also have you posted pics yet? We'd love to see them. Looking forward to seeing you around on the site. The best advice I can give you is read, read, and read some more! Use the search function, but also pay attention to the people who have been here awhile and you'll learn a lot. Good luck with her.

I was thinking of using my web cam to at least get a fuzzy picture of her out there for everyone to see, but since she just ate, I don't want to bother her for the next few days. She is a creamiscle corn, though, with what I think are the most beautiful ruby eyes ^^ That could be just a proud mum talking though. In truth, I can't even say that Pavlushka is a she, I've never had her sexed. In about 2-3 days, I will bring her out for her big picture debute, though ^^ *Side note, she's already had 2 sheddings since I have had her *squeels* My "girl's" growing up!

LittleNami said:
Is this tail twitching normal because I was interfering with her feeding?

Yes,

LittleNami said:
Also, the previous week, when I had given her the pinky, she went mad for it and wrapped around it quickly, as if trying to strangulate the already dead mouse. I am guessing this is normal reaction, though, for what is to come as she is given live prey, no?

and yes. These are both perfectly normal behaviors for a corn snake. Just a couple of bits of advice.

First, leave her alone while she is eating. If you startle her, she could spit the mouse back out, then refuse to eat. Secondly, if she is already eating f/t, keep her on it. It is cheaper for you and safer for the snake. (Unless you intend on breeding your own mice, but that's a different story all together.) There are lots of threads already covering this debate. If you do a search, you should find plenty of reading to keep you occupied.

Back