• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Female snow with a screamin motley pattern..

sprdonkey

..with hatchlings blessed
I have a female snow with a screamin motley pattern. I want to facilitate the pattern but I am not certain what type of motley I should breed her with ...How can I best apply those genes? Ideas...

If you want to try to perpetuate her particular motley pattern, I would suggest breeding her to another motley with a similar pattern. Unfortunately, you will probably not get all the offspring to have the same pattern, just probably better odds of reproducing it. But, IMO, I haven't seen a motley I didn't like!

What morph?

Anery? Amel Bloodred? Amel? What would I get if I bred her to my lavender motle? He's more than A little pinkish, one of Kathy Loves.

If you post a picture of her, we could more readily help you decipher what would make a good pairing. I know...she's a snow with an incredible motley pattern. But that means different things to different people. Personally, I have an anery motley that has some pinstriping down the middle, and is "almost" a hurricane in appearance. I also have one that is closer to "perfect". My favorite is the abberrant one. Your mileage may vary.

Post a picture and help us to help you :D...

sprdonkey said:
Anery? Amel Bloodred? Amel? What would I get if I bred her to my lavender motle? He's more than A little pinkish, one of Kathy Loves.
It all depends upon what you are trying, or want, to produce.

Snow motley X anery = all anery het motley and amel
Snow motley X amel bloodred = all amel het bloodred, motley and anery
Snow motley X amel = all amel het motley and anery
Snow motley X lavender motley = all normal motley het lavender, amel and anery

Are you more interested in the color or the pattern?

If it was from one of my "neon" snows (just my name for a pink snow, similar to the bubblegum snows, but without as much greenish color), then I suggest another one from my group, or from a bubblegum snow, or from another bloodline of really pink snows.

If it is the pattern you are more concerned with, I would suggest, as others have, to try to find the pattern most similar to yours, without regard to the color.

You should prioritize whether the color or pattern is most important because you will probably not find the ideal pattern in the color you want, and may have to choose one over the other.

She was...

I got her at a local pet store, they had the entire clutch, there was one normal with the beginning of a stripe and two other snows with beginners stripes. I was really just looking for neat suggestions for a partner for her. Im just excited is all, going to the San Diego Del Mar IRBA show tomorrow and thought I'd find my baby girl a baby boy :wavey: The Corns that we just got from you kathy are awesome. The Lavender male is really getting some pink to him.

How old is your snow girl? Sheeesss, if she is gravid I might have the boy for you that came from Kathy original. Snow possible het stripe or motley .. The more posts I read from Sia, the more I know I would be in trouble if her and Jon came over to view the collection.. *lol*

Regards... Tim of T and J

Finally a pic

Well, it took me a little while, but heres her pic...Jon say's that she can't be a motley...

Attachments

• HPIM0261.JPG
    HPIM0261.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 99
  • HPIM0262.JPG
    HPIM0262.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 98
  • HPIM0265.JPG
    HPIM0265.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 96
Oh yeah.

This pattern continues unbroken, all the way down to the tip of her tail. Everything is symetrical (spelling?). She's not very old either, I purchased her in January and she wasn't much over 7 or 8 inches long. I actually had to cut the heads off of pinkies in order for her to want to eat.

White with pearly white pattern, I know she can't be a motley. Pattern on the belly isn't symetrical and looks like somebody drug an eraser up through the middle of it to her chin, but it is a checkerboard.

sprdonkey said:
White with pearly white pattern, I know she can't be a motley. Pattern on the belly isn't symetrical and looks like somebody drug an eraser up through the middle of it to her chin, but it is a checkerboard.
If she has a full checkerboard belly, she isn't a motley. Partial...maybe. But with a full checkerboard belly...not at all likely.

To answer your question(in a PM) about her clutchmates being striped...it depends. Could very easily have striped clutchmates and only be het. stripe, or could even have striped clutchmates and have no heterzygous stripe or motley allele at all. If the parents were both het. stripe, they could easily produce striped offspring right alongside wild-type offspring.

tyflier said:
If she has a full checkerboard belly, she isn't a motley. Partial...maybe.

nope, none at all, it can have a slight pepering to it and I mean pepering as a adult it should be nothing more than slighty bigger than the period at the end of my sentance. Some motley hets look just like motleys but they have a slight checkering to the belly I dont know if that is what you have seen. I have seen them mislabled all the time at shows. :shrugs:

Vinman said:
nope, none at all, it can have a slight pepering to it and I mean pepering as a adult it should be nothing more than slighty bigger than the period at the end of my sentance. Some motley hets look just like motleys but they have a slight checkering to the belly I dont know if that is what you have seen. I have seen them mislabled all the time at shows. :shrugs:
This is where I get really confused on the motley gene. With such an incredible amount of "acceptable variation" to the dorsal pattern, in my mind it only makes sense to have a similar amount of acceptable variation to the ventral pattern.

According the literature that I have read(The Comprehensive Owner's Guide, Cornsnakes in Captivity, 2007 Morph Guide, etc.), motley ventral patterns MAY show some patterning, but are generally void of the normal checkerboard patterning found on corns.

I have asked this before, and never really got a "definitive" answer. Is it impossible for a motley patterned corn to have ANY checks on the belly? Or is there a line where a small amount of checkering may be maintained? I mean...is it not possible that a homozygous motley cornsnake might retain a small amount of checkering? Given the incredible amount of diversity in motley homozygotes dorsally, it only makes sense, at least to me, that there would ALSO be a certain amount of variation ventrally... :shrugs:

I have a 1.1 motley pair, with only the "peppering" you mention ventrally. I plan on breeding them next spring. What would you say if they produce offspring with a small amount of checkering on the belly? I KNOW they are homozygotes. That means the offspring will ALL be homozygotes. In a way...I kind of hope that at least ONE of the clutch shows a few checkers on the belly...just to put it to rest in my mind...

Problem is...if NONE of the offspring have ANY checks...it still doesn't answer the question, at least in my mind...

I need help... :grin01:

Back