• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

first time feeding f/t

skelator

well i have 2 adult corns. my amel ive had almost a year now. hes only been fed live as long as ive had him. my butter i got a couple weeks ago this was my first time feeding him. i got a couple frozen today to see how they would take it.

i did the mouse dance with some tongs for my amel he immiediatly hit it but dropped it and ignored it for about 15 mins. he then went and ate it but i think he ate some aspen in the process. im hoping thats not a big deal. so far he seems fine.

for my butter i waved it around some then just laid it on his hide. he went after it immiediatly but he ate it backwards. it took him quite a while to get aroung the back legs. he eventually got it down though.

live adult mice at petco are $3.49
frozen adult mice are $2.29

I'd think ingesting some aspen is not going to be a huge deal, especially since it sounds like he's an adult. I could suggest feeding outside of the viv to avoid eating aspen, but I feed mine in their cages too :p Glad to hear that they both took f/t well! One of my old ones liked me to leave the f/t in there for him, all my current ones will just grab them straight off the tongs or from my hand- no zombie dancing required :)

i think next time ill put the amels mouse on his hide like i did the butters. that worked fine with the butter.

It sounds like it went really well.

Frozen is so much easier IMO-
I can just keep them in the freezer until feeding day instead of having to deal with picking up mice.

Also I pay about .80 a mouse compared to $1.50 (which adds up with 100 corns)

I found my guy in the local classifieds. You could ask people who are selling reptiles in your area where they get their mice.

you can always put a wanted ad on craigslist. The guy I buy my mice from doesn't advertise, but he stalks craigslist all the time.

Back