• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

first time snake owner

kitanna

hi there everyone, My name is Kathy,,i just got my "teddy" on Friday and he was fine. Friday night he shedded so after he was done i feed him, looked like hard work to me. I wanted to pick him up today but he is still grouchy, is that because he's sore or am i doing something wrong with him. he is 14 in long and a beautiful guy. tommorrow i need to move him to the new tank, what do i do hes a biter. Any help would be great

if he hasnt been with you for long then that may be why hes a bit grumpy.
people usually leave them for about a week to settle in

Hello, and welcome to the forums Kathy, you will find a ton of information and help here.
Now, I would leave him for a while to get used to his new home as this is the most stressful time for a snake. So I would refrain from holding him for a couple of days, and remember to wait at least 48 hours after feeding before handling, What is he housed in right now?
The following links are to FAQs and give a lot of basic information.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

he he is only in a five i was waiting for his 10 to come........... i bought him a 30 gall but it not in the ten just got here last night but i dont want to move him yet.... what worries me is his 5 has a heat rock cause the big light would roast the whole 5 gall. i need help anthing you can offer

so wait, I'm a bit confused, he's in a 5, you bought a 10 AND a 30? but .. summits happened to that but the ten just got to you so you wanna put him in that?
I'll need to know exactly whats happening to suggest anything, but straightaway i can say that the heatrock is a no no..

i got him Friday and my tank was not here but i had my 5 gallon, so i set him up. the 10 gallon i got from a friend came today, i am buying him a 30 gallon cause he will out grow the ten. i know heat rocks suck but i needed something to heat till the ten got here . i will be setting up the ten late tommorrow after that i will give him 5 to 7 days of no handling to help him settle in. am i on the right track????????????????????????????????

Right okay I get it now, I'm just wondering what would be best, because on one hand, it'll be good to set up the 10G correctly, and get temperatures fine, hot and warm sides etc, and humidity all good (40-50% is fine) or will he be more stress if he almost gets settled in the 5 before having to move AGAIN... someone else is gonna have to step in and help lol

Have you got a digital thermometer with a probe? because these are much more accurate than the stick on or gauge ones, and you want the surface temperature of the substrate and not the ambient temperature.
Ås for heating it really depends on your situation (read the FAQs) Most people here use UTHs (under tank heaters) and are usually controlled by a rheostat/thermostat to keep the temperatures steady. Remember that what is warm to you is hot to the snake.

hey well i am on msn for ten or so... i think i will move him set it up and get him into it.. i want to get his heater going tommoroow but if you are on i can chat with you while i do the move

Back