• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fishing the Tankerhoosen

Joejr14

Grand Bubble Burster
I'm sure some of you have seen a similar thread with just photos of the river before, but these are a bit different.

It was such a gorgeous day (70) I skipped out of work at 11am, came home, and boogied right out the door to get some fishing in. 5 hours later....

Attachments

• IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00030.jpg
    IMG00030.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00031.jpg
    IMG00031.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 78
Some more.....

Attachments

• IMG00032.jpg
    IMG00032.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00033.jpg
    IMG00033.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00035.jpg
    IMG00035.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00037.jpg
    IMG00037.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 77
Great day Joe.. I am looking forward to getting out and doing some fishing as well this spring and summer.

But you should've grabbed Dean.. that way he could've held the fish and they would have looked to be 20 pound trout. :sidestep:

Great day Joe.. I am looking forward to getting out and doing some fishing as well this spring and summer.

But you should've grabbed Dean.. that way he could've held the fish and they would have looked to be 20 pound trout. :sidestep:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

With all the new purchases that guy makes he can't afford to take a day off!

It was a great day. I believe I landed somewhere around 10 fish and had at least 3x that amount in hits and long distance releases. Saw some freakin' monster trout as well, but they didn't seem very interested in what I had to offer. I will say it's rewarding that I was able to do so well since it's a native trout stream---they're all wild fish, no stockies. Frustrating though that I've yet to catch a Brookie outta there.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

With all the new purchases that guy makes he can't afford to take a day off!

It was a great day. I believe I landed somewhere around 10 fish and had at least 3x that amount in hits and long distance releases. Saw some freakin' monster trout as well, but they didn't seem very interested in what I had to offer. I will say it's rewarding that I was able to do so well since it's a native trout stream---they're all wild fish, no stockies. Frustrating though that I've yet to catch a Brookie outta there.....

Yeah, I am hoping to find a nice trout stream this summer and just relax for the whole day. :) I used to catch Steel head but never any brook. I to have a dream. ;)

Hardy har har. You guys are a regular laugh riot! :angry01: ;)

It figures that we get skunked when we both go out, and then you make out like a bandit by yourself! Oh well. Still, it's cool that you've confirmed that there are fish in there! Good job. :cheers: If I ever get a few spare hours where I don't have to feed snakes, breed them, or prepare lay-boxes and incubation containers again, maybe I'll join you. :rolleyes:

Hardy har har. You guys are a regular laugh riot! :angry01: ;)

It figures that we get skunked when we both go out, and then you make out like a bandit by yourself! Oh well. Still, it's cool that you've confirmed that there are fish in there! Good job. :cheers: If I ever get a few spare hours where I don't have to feed snakes, breed them, or prepare lay-boxes and incubation containers again, maybe I'll join you. :rolleyes:

It was rather nice. I was killin em in the same spots we tried. :shrugs:

I had the Berkley trout worms with 2 split shots, and it was like fishing with nightcrawlers. They were absolutely hammering them. I saw two BIG brookies up in the lazy spot just before the burned down cabin---and I mean BIG. They wanted absolutely nothing to do with what I was offering. Found a few more spots further downstream that had some good sized fish hanging around, though they were browns.

Think I might have to make another trip out there tomorrow. Of course, between the fish constantly whacking the worms and getting 15,000 of them caught in the trees, I've got one left.....might have to make an early morning run to Cabelas.

So where are the fish? All I see is bait.

Wait...this is freshwater, right? Guess you guys think your minnows are fish. ;)

lol @ Jeff...I was just thinking "Look, Joe caught some bait" ;)...Nice browns Joe lol...The big trout are the "smart" trout...they got big enough eating little nymphs, flies, bugs...like the trout you caught...and long since graduated to eating crayfish, bait fish, small suckers, other trout...they'll still take "bugs"...but...you catch trout like those...you hunt trout like the big one's you saw :*)

Wait...this is freshwater, right? Guess you guys think your minnows are fish. ;)

:laugh01: :rofl::roflmao:

My thoughts exactly! Heck, not even counting the saltwater fishing, I've caught bass on bait fish like Joe caught in the little pond across the street from my parents first Florida home. If Joe thinks those are big fish, I would love to see him hook into a nice tarpon off of Tampa Bay...then see what happens when a large shark thinks that tarpon is bait...

Hardy har har. Yes they are small trout, however the Tankerhoosen is one of 8 streams/rivers in Connecticut that is designated as a wild trout stream. The upper part of the river where I fish is not stocked at all and I believe is only one of about 3 Class 1 wild trout streams.

So yes, the fish are small, but ya gotta be smart to catch em. Well, that and the fact that fishing season is closed here until the 3rd Saturday in April, so it limits where you can fish.

But no fear, you'll be seeing posts soon enough from the Ct River when the striped bass start to run.

Those fish look alright to me, I'd be very pleased to catch them....
All I ever manage to do is drown maggots.
In fact my family no longer say to me 'going fishing', they say 'how long are you going to be out drowning maggots'

I'm a horrible fisherman. I live on a beautiful trophy lake in Northwestern Ontario, full of huge walleye, northern pikes and the odd muskie. Last year my old man hooked a 15lb walleye, my buddy hooked a 10lb northern pike, while I caught not a damn thing.

Back