• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Florida Herpers, ready for the snake hunt?

tom e

I love this! Have you seen it? Everything that follows was in my email from USARK:

This Press release was written by Shawn Heflick and Andrew Wyatt. This morning it was submitted to the Associated Press, Washington Post, The Orlando Sentinel, ABC News and FOX News.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Pilot Program For Python Hunt

Wilmington, NC July 16, 2009- The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) supports a bounty on Burmese Pythons. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has been working very closely with key reptile experts in Florida to develop and implement a pilot program for permitting a select group of 20 Florida reptile experts to participate in a trial program that will allow permitted experts to hunt Burmese Pythons on FWC and South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) areas. All participants must possess a valid Florida Reptiles of Concern permit and meet criteria laid down by FWC. Each Burmese Hunt Permittee will be allowed 5 additional hunters to accompany them into the field. Permitted individuals must carry GPS units and digital cameras, and supply data to FWC within 36 hours of capture. They will also be required to attempt to capture any other non-native species they come across during their hunts and call for permission from land managers into restricted areas before going into the field. Permitted individuals are free to take the specimens or euthanize them on site at their discretion.

FWC has worked very hard to step up and develop this program. They have worked very closely with the Florida Reptile Community in the development of this permit/program, and are eager to be part of the solution to this problem. Florida reptile experts spear-heading this effort with FWC are Shawn K. Heflick, Greg Graziani and Michael Cole.

The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) supports and applauds this effort by FWC and the Florida Reptile Community in taking concrete pragmatic steps in addressing the issue of feral Burmese Pythons in South Florida. USARK supports Senator Bill Nelson’s call for the US Dept. of Interior to open federal land where the epicenter of the population resides and is encouraging that this pilot program be considered as a model for a Federal Bounty Program. In a letter dated June 17, 2009 to Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar USARK pledged $10,000 to this proposal.

USARK President Andrew Wyatt added, “It is time all interested stakeholders work together to address this issue. The reptile community has been unjustly cast as the villain being accused as the source of the introduction of Burmese Pythons, when a genetics study commissioned by SFWD points away from this likelihood. We are not the source, but we want to be part of the solution; and we are putting our money where our mouth is. We have more expertise with Burmese Pythons than all other stakeholders combined and now we are bringing this expertise to bear in addressing this problem in South Florida.”

Well uh I guess thats a good idea? What will they do with the found pythons and does anyone think at this point it is even possible to curtail wild populations if people just keep releasing them? I hope they aren't euthanized:(

Permitted individuals are free to take the specimens or euthanize them on site at their discretion.

But that's a good thing, IMO..

I should add that they say the genetic testing shows that they have very little genetic diversity- meaning that they all seem to have come from just a few animals. What that leads them to believe is that 'we' aren't habitually releasing bunches of pythons. If herpers were, they should see more diversity in the genetics.

That's what they mean in this part, "USARK President Andrew Wyatt added, “It is time all interested stakeholders work together to address this issue. The reptile community has been unjustly cast as the villain being accused as the source of the introduction of Burmese Pythons, when a genetics study commissioned by SFWD points away from this likelihood. We are not the source, but we want to be part of the solution; and we are putting our money where our mouth is. We have more expertise with Burmese Pythons than all other stakeholders combined and now we are bringing this expertise to bear in addressing this problem in South Florida"..

I think it's a great idea and great publicity for herpers. I'd love to come help, but I'm not that good at finding snakes in the wild as it is..

Well I'm glad our name is being somewhat cleared though anti reptile enthusiasts will not buy into this and hopefully many of these animals are saved and not put down.

In the news story I saw, the FWC official they were talking with said firearms would not be an acceptable euthanization method. They recommended a machete for quick decapitation. Like a ticked off wild burm is gonna hold still long enough to be decapitated.

I wish,lol I'll be in florida the 11th-19th for my b-day, but no room for a snake that large and no one to help me care for it either:(

Plantation, FL its kinda between hollywood and miami though we'll be in the keys at the fishing lodge for one of those weekends; but if your close come on by my fam loves rita's, herps, and fun:)

I WISH. LOL. I haven't been down to the Keys in about 8 years. Sounds like I'm overdue for a trip, dontcha think? :D :laugh:

I live about 4-5 hrs north of Miami...

I'm surprised they have a controlled hunt at all. There should be an open season on all invasive species. It's not like there's some chance having a large, predatory invasive species out there can possibly be a good thing for the local ecology.

I'm surprised they have a controlled hunt at all. There should be an open season on all invasive species. It's not like there's some chance having a large, predatory invasive species out there can possibly be a good thing for the local ecology.
I see what you're saying, the more people, the greater likelihood of controlling the population.
But it's probably a liability problem, it might be dangerous to have a bunch of people on a witch hunt for Pythons. The average person might incorrectly kill other species, get hurt, or other. And they aren't as likely to gather the proper information (GPS coordinates, other factors) like experts can.

I just picture Eddie and his Redneck buddies drinking beer wearing Blaze orange and hunting for Burms.

I have a cheap Python call and stand for sale.... cheap.... Ok, it's really a safety whistle and a lawn chair.... but they're still cheap...

Actually, they already have this for the Nile Monitors in the Ft Myers area, and they pay $50 a pop if you can freeze them, less for ones that aren't. They prefer frozen so they can study stomach contents.

One thing that's always bugged me is that they always blame the herp keepers for releases, but have you seen the destruction caused by the hurricanes? How many of those were pets that couldn't be taken into shelters? They just changed the "no pets in hurricane shelters" just a few years ago here. How long before the New Orleans area has an upsurge in non native species? Or do they already from escaped pets? We all saw the packs of ferel dogs and cats during the recovery, but how many lizards, turtles, amphibians, and snakes were also running loose?

I picture a few rednecks hearing there buddy scream, cap off a few rounds, and come running out with a large python wrapped around his neck...

As far as a Python hunt, Yes I am glad to see they are doing something. I think they are thinking the right way but it remains to see how the execution of the plan will actually go.

This is the best thing that could've happened IMO. There was a ~10 minute segment about this on Nightline the other night too

Back