• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Florida King is officially a Goini.

Black_Shark

Just found out my Florida is a Goini subspecies of King. Very interesting. I'm assuming that Goini and brooksi hit same size since they are both part of the Floridana? And that 623g, about as big around as a pill bottle, and 4-4.25' at 4 years of age is healthy?

Just found out my Florida is a Goini subspecies of King. Very interesting. I'm assuming that Goini and brooksi hit same size since they are both part of the Floridana? And that 623g, about as big around as a pill bottle, and 4-4.25' at 4 years of age is healthy?

My girl Maytag is a patternless goini. I think they hit about the same size, big but manageable.

Attachments

• Maytag030509.jpg
    Maytag030509.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Maytag030509a.jpg
    Maytag030509a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Maytag030509b.jpg
    Maytag030509b.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Maytag030509c.jpg
    Maytag030509c.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 64
So let's see some pics! Here's my goini, Jewel. Wait- I don't have a recent picture of her alone,
so here she is with Big Jake and Janine. I set her in the bowl for ONE SECOND, took the pic,
whisked her back out, right as Janine was making a lunge for her. Dinner!! This pic is a year old-
she's much more golden and blended now. As a baby she had bright orange and yellow blotches.
She's 700 grams. MUCH shorter and stouter than Jake and Janine. There's a decent chapter on
them in the book Stalking the Plumed Serpent, by the guy that proved them a species.
D. Bruce Means.

Attachments

• Kings 002cr.jpg
    Kings 002cr.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 62
Heres my collection. I'm still waiting on a few pics of my BP to get through cyberspace but heres the corn and king. Sorry for the quality. Only camera I have is my iphone.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6807.jpg
    IMG_6807.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 51
The corn I'm pretty sure is an Amel. Could be wrong though. I got him from Petsmart in August ( I got REALLY lucky that he was healthy) and hes gone from around 10g to 40some odd these last few months. Is now eating hoppers and is darn happy about it.

The King I picked up at Repticon in Columbia, SC. He's by far the most active and hungry of my collection and is always roaming his tub, burrowing and looking for food. If he even smells food, he starts huffing and going nuts. Very interesting guy.

The BP was the second snake I got and I adopted her from a young lady who kept her in a 40g breeder with one hide, heat lamps, 6q shoebox water bowl and repticarpet. Now shes in her 41q tub and much bigger. At 2,5 years when I got her in September she was around 980-1000g. Now shes 1432g.

Just to make things more confusing, there is much debate over the Goini. Scientists are calling some of the more patternless ones from the center of their habitat as "Meansi". They believe that the more typical banded or blotched ones are an intergrade with the Eastern Chain Kings which completely sorround their domain. I think they are reading too much into it and they are a remnant population of where the Eastern Chains intergraded with the more speckled Floridana. So anyway they believe the Goini are more closly related to the Chain Kings then the Florida. It's kinda of splitting hairs to me, but that is what they are saying.

The King I picked up at Repticon in Columbia, SC. He's by far the most active and hungry of my collection and is always roaming his tub, burrowing and looking for food. If he even smells food, he starts huffing and going nuts. Very interesting guy.

I have found that many people under feed their kings and that is why they are always hungry. Kings like Floridas, Easterns and Goins, require more food than Corn snakes. I switched all of mine to small rats to keep them satisfied. It would take 3 or 4 grown mice at each meal to satisfy my Kings. Try giving him a bit more food and hopefully that will help calm him down a bit. Good luck it looks really nice!

I feed him 1 XL mouse every 2 weeks and he is still growing! While I understand that he could eat as much as I could give him, I do not want him to be obese. He has a great personality and is very manageable but like I said, if he smells food, its on like donkey kong!

I feed him 1 XL mouse every 2 weeks and he is still growing! While I understand that he could eat as much as I could give him, I do not want him to be obese. He has a great personality and is very manageable but like I said, if he smells food, its on like donkey kong!

It's hard to tell how big he is from the pics, but 1 mouse every two weeks is probably not enough. Yes he will grow with that but he will also be hungry. Try once a week. Here is my largest male Brooks.

P1040396-1.jpg

He is 623g, 4-4.25' long and a 2006. About as big around as an average pill bottle. And you feed 1 small rat every week?

He is 623g, 4-4.25' long and a 2006. About as big around as an average pill bottle. And you feed 1 small rat every week?

I don't weigh my snakes so I have nothing to compare that to, but 4 foot snake that's as thick as a medicine bottle sounds small to me. Length is near full grown, but it should be thicker. I raise my own rats and mice so I feed them depending on what I have on hand. If I were feeding yours mice, I would give him 2 full grown mice every week except on days that he starts to go into shed. I use rats because they grow faster and so it's less expensive for me to give him a weaned rat than 2 or 3 full grown mice. I got that big one in the picture as an adult and he did not like the rats right away. I had to switch him over by feding him a mouse and then a rat fuzzy. I repeated this every week and gradually increased the rats. Eastern coast Kings are big by nature so don't be afraid he will get too fat. If he starts to get ripples when he bends then you should cut back on the feed. Good Luck, I love Florida and Eastern Kings and have quite a collection growing. You can check them out in my photobucket account by my signature, Cheers!

He's actually a bit bigger than that. I was just looking at him and he's gained some girth since I last got him. I don't think he's ready for rats yet. I'm going to stick with the XL mice every 2 weeks because he is gaining weight consistently and is healthy. I might change to 1 per week until he is ready for a small rat every 2 weeks.

He's actually a bit bigger than that. I was just looking at him and he's gained some girth since I last got him. I don't think he's ready for rats yet. I'm going to stick with the XL mice every 2 weeks because he is gaining weight consistently and is healthy. I might change to 1 per week until he is ready for a small rat every 2 weeks.

I would at least feed him 1 large mouse every week. Like I said I use weaned rats which aren't very big. They probably equal two large mice or so. But really one mouse every two weeks is not enough. Take it for what it's worth, but that's why he's going nuts when he smells food.

Back