• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fresh kill better than frozen ??

Droptines

I was thinking of switching over.These frozen mice are a nasty !!!,I noticed they even smell crappy.Why is this ??,,its almost as if they were dead for a short while before they are frozen.
??

Depends on your supplier. Personally I've found a good supplier of adults now, but I grow all my own pinks and fluffs because I got sick of throwing stinky mice away.
Rather than the mice being dead a while before they're frozen, I believe they thaw and get refrozen during their processing and transport sometimes. I had issues because the bought pinks sometimes were mushy when I thawed them out for feeding

At petsmart they wanted 10$ for a pack of 6 frozen pinkies!!!, So now I'm thinking about just getting 2 mice, and...making my own lol

I've not heard anything bad about frozen mice provided by The Mouse Factory or Rodent Pro (there are other good suppliers, too). When you factor in shipping, it is advantageous to buy in bulk, but the quality is very high.

Growing your own is an option, but you need to consider the added time for tending to them. Plus, some don't like the smell.

If you treat your mice like you do your own frozen food there shouldn't be anything wrong with them. Seal the packages well to prevent freezer burn.

My Mouse Factory mice are snow white and do not smell. If you feed FK, you run the risk of passing parasites on to the snake. Freezing kills worms, eventually.

Thats the advice my first reptile vet gave me and it made sense to me :)

At petsmart they wanted 10$ for a pack of 6 frozen pinkies!!!, So now I'm thinking about just getting 2 mice, and...making my own lol

Sorry to the OP for hyjacking your thread
Hunter, 2 mice probably wouldn't work well, maybe more like 1.3 or 1.4. First it takes a while for the colony to become established. I've been told if you only have 1.1 the male is constantly bugging the female. You have to consider the food for the mice, bedding, housing and cleaning at least once a week. It's a bigger job than it seems.
I also agree go to a Mom and Pop, pet shop. I used to pay a $1.00 any size mouse, $2.00 for rat pups.

I bought a 3 pack of adult mice from Petco (Rodent Gourmet, or something like that), and they smelled... There was also a peice of poop in the package with the mice. I was not happy. I went to a local mom and pop place, where they grow their own feeders and freeze them. You select the feeders yourself, so you can determine the size of individual meal. And they are snow white and not stinky at all.

Droptines, I would look for a new supplier.

Hi there, I breed my own feeders and feed my snakes freshly killed prey, for 6 years so far without problems.
The comment made by Nanci is however of high value due to the fact that freezing kills any worms or parasites.
Only you can decide for yourself if you believe that prevention is better than cure.

Ciao

One thing that i just found out Monday was that when i bought live pinkies, and froze them myself they seemed to look and feel a lot better. Maybe that also because they had no chance to be thawed at any point like what kinda happens when i bring the frozen ones home.

hmm Susang, yeah i know it is a lot of work to have rodents, I haev had hamsters, gerbils, guinni pigs, and mice all my life, but at the moment none, so it won't be anything new, but what does it mean when u say like 1.1 and 1.4 and stuff??

hmm Susang, yeah i know it is a lot of work to have rodents, I haev had hamsters, gerbils, guinni pigs, and mice all my life, but at the moment none, so it won't be anything new, but what does it mean when u say like 1.1 and 1.4 and stuff??

Hi, she means when she says 1.3 = 1 male and 3 female. If you notice on alot of peoples quotes on the bottom where they list all their animals they say 1.3 corns, 2.0 dogs, 1.1 cats" and so on is the left number is the males then the right side is the females and when you see 1.3.1 is one male, 3 females and 1 unknown... hope this helps :)

Lil. :)

Good luck :)

yeah it does!! lol thanks! :) anyone know what the uth temp is supposed to be on the glass and above the subtrate??????

Thanks for the impute guys and gals,,,The brand I have been using are put out by Arctic Mouse,,sold at PETSMART.
I'm thinking of giving the local retile/snake shop a call.I know they sell a LOT of mice and rats.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Hi, she means when she says 1.3 = 1 male and 3 female. If you notice on alot of peoples quotes on the bottom where they list all their animals they say 1.3 corns, 2.0 dogs, 1.1 cats" and so on is the left number is the males then the right side is the females and when you see 1.3.1 is one male, 3 females and 1 unknown... hope this helps :)

Good luck :)

Thanks! I was wondering about that i just wasn't sure how to ask!

Mdralston and Hunter...

ya'll are so welcome. I just figured this out myself not too long ago so I know how you felt lol.

Take care,

I go to Reptiles Unlimited, where they kill me a months worth of mice at a time for me to freeze myself. This works well, and I know the mice are fresh and fed well. Reptiles Unlimited is in Long Beach, Ca. by the way.

Back