• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gardeners!

sprdonkey

..with hatchlings blessed
This is probably going to sound really bizarre but....Thinking in terms of compost,
our soil here packs as hard as rock right after you turn it. I planted roses in a flower box out front and shortly thereafter dumped out a little bit of old aspen bedding into that area while hoseing out some tubs thinking that it couldnt hurt and at the very worst would help aerate the soil there should I have to turn it again... After two weedings I realized that there were NO weeds in the spot where I had dumped the used aspen chips. Wierd huh? So now as an experiment when I have to change bedding I am spreading it in the worst weed spots to see if it kills them. Any thoughts? Is aspen really that acidic?

I'm not sure if its acid or not. I would imagine though that it's probably good as any mulch- by just covering the area it will probably stop the weeds... Maybe someone else will come along soon with some USEFUL information. I just had to comment though cause it really got me thinking about the possibilities.. We've been doing alot of gardening here as well..

I had just googled Aspen as Mulch didn't get alot of good information, but I did find alot of vendors for it, so it's a common product.

Back