• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting my first Tablet

starsevol

Cohabbing is cruelty...
What is good and easy to use? I am considering the Google Nexus 10. I will be using WIFI only and a keyboard would be nice.

What do you all have?
What do you all like?

I've actually been thinking of a Nexus 10 or something similar. I have an iPad first gen and it is nice, very user friendly in most cases. There are a number of things I don't like about it, uploading pictures to certain websites and accessing certain websites and doing a few other things that I do quite a bit that I either can't do on it or requires a lot of bothersome work arounds that really tick me off. My husband's 10 year old tablet and his super cheap little tablet that tanked when it came out and they clearanced them all out, does these things with ease, which really makes me upset with the iPad. I'm not sure if it's just a first gen issue or if a newer one would be better or not.

I've had my first gen iPad since iPad 2 came out. Years. It has never given me ONE SPECK of trouble. Never had to be force quit or restarted. It's perfect.

I have a Kindle Fire...but I mostly have the tablet for reading. No keyboard though. Hubby is looking into getting a Surface.

Well, I still love my iPad 2. I can do a lot with it including making up newsletters with it. Though there are rumours that the iPad mini may have a price drop in October.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the iPad. I'm not really sure. I don't own one. But I know several people with the Nexus 10 and they love it.

Well, I still love my iPad 2. I can do a lot with it including making up newsletters with it. Though there are rumours that the iPad mini may have a price drop in October.

iPad Mini is my next gadget I MUST have. Apple has the best customer service- hands down. Can you take any of the others to the actual manufacturer's storefront, with problems and questions? Not a third party like Best Buy or AT&T?

Beth, I HIGHLY recommend cell with it. HIGHLY. Just the minimal package. It's like $15/month. AND you can do it month to month, no contract. But if you're going to carry it around in your purse/car, you need cell. Mine is a 32GB and I am not even close to filling it up. My iphone, OTOH, is 64GB and I'm at the limit. I guess I just don't load the iPad down so much with pictures and videos and 350 apps like I do with the phone. You'd be perfectly fine to buy a refurb right from Apple, too. Mine was a refurb and it was like brand new when I got it.

Just think- if you get that we can iMessage!!

The iPad forum that is the CS.com of the phone/tablet/etc. world, as far as I can tell, is imore.com

Beth, I HIGHLY recommend cell with it. HIGHLY. Just the minimal package. It's like $15/month. AND you can do it month to month, no contract. But if you're going to carry it around in your purse/car, you need cell. Mine is a 32GB and I am not even close to filling it up. My iphone, OTOH, is 64GB and I'm at the limit. I guess I just don't load the iPad down so much with pictures and videos and 350 apps like I do with the phone. You'd be perfectly fine to buy a refurb right from Apple, too. Mine was a refurb and it was like brand new when I got it.

Just think- if you get that we can iMessage!!

Is this something that can be added later to a wifi verson?
The reason I ask is that the tablet alone is going to set me back a ton, and the ONLY places I ever go is home and the shop (Rick will be setting me up with routers in both places) and my other job at RedWing (which will have wifi access soon, not that there is a whole lot of down time there), and the flea market (but if I download a few games I can play with no connection that should keep me occupied enough).
And then there are always books and things I can download to use when I have no connection......

I have an iPad2, wife and son have Kindle Fires, and daughter has iPad mini. All have been very reliable. The Kindles are better as readers than web but they do in a pinch.

Is this something that can be added later to a wifi verson?
The reason I ask is that the tablet alone is going to set me back a ton, and the ONLY places I ever go is home and the shop (Rick will be setting me up with routers in both places) and my other job at RedWing (which will have wifi access soon, not that there is a whole lot of down time there), and the flea market (but if I download a few games I can play with no connection that should keep me occupied enough).
And then there are always books and things I can download to use when I have no connection......

Depending on your cell you can tether your iPad via your cell.

I have a Galaxy SIII smart phone and service through Verizon, their newest mandatory plan does include free tethering, although we had to inform the sales person of that fact when we switched my husband's service plan and added my cell to it. I think most other carriers offer it, some free and some charge you $10 or $15 a month to have the option to do it legally. So if you already have a phone with a data package, you can likely tether.
My iPad is WiFi only and I really like being able to tether it, don't think I use it enough to justify buying the 3G or 4G capable iPad.

I don't believe you can add it later to a WiFi only version.

They are great for using in the car, for maps, navigation, finding info on parks or attractions you want to go to, choosing restaurants, etc. Rich and I used mine to find a tortoise rehabber near us when we found the hit by car tortoise, and then used the navigation app to route us to her house, with turn-by-turn directions the whole way there.

iPad FTW!!!

I got a refurb iPad 3 32 gb when the iPad 4 came out. The refurbs from Apple are really nice, you get a brand new batter, new outside casing, and full warranty. I'm 99% sure mine was brand new, but sold as refurb to unload iPad 3 stock. Might be an option if you don't need the iPad 4.

My mom has a Toshiba Thrive, which is also REALLY nice if you like Android more. It's a little bulky, but has lots of expandability which makes it really useful.

Probably your best bets would be:
iOS based- iPad 4.
Android based- leaning towards the Asus transformer myself.
Win 8 based- not mature enough to run and embrace really but it exists, Microsoft RT.

At any rate, it depends on your wants and needs.
iOS is limiting since it won't run flash, which is a serious pain when surfing.

Android is the most accessible and elastic, but it requires quite a bit of know how. Bricking it beyond repair is easier than with iOS.

I think the Windows 8 based tablets will rule supreme in the end... simply because it integrates so easily with PC and the internet experience unhindered in any way.

More and more sites adjust themselves to the available cellular phone bases operating systems but it will take a while until you will truly see a full integration.

Back