• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Good Looking Viv....hopefully

Putty

French Fries
Well it all started off not long ago when I read up on Atbs and Paul was talking to me about his and showing me his feedings pictures and such...which then after all of that, I decided that I wanted one.

All of my other snakes live in tubs so that's what I was opting for to house the Atb. The very next day after I chose my snake (reserved) - I came back from work with an 18x18x18 Exo-Terra viv from work that was slightly used and litterally enough plants, bulbs, filters, hides, bowls, branches etc etc to fill the vivarium itself.

Once I got home I soaked everything in scolding hot water with a bit of bleach and cleaned out the viv in it's entirety. As everything was soaking - I planned out my course of action...I mean lay-out for the vivarium.

These are only from day one, I had to stop to let the sealant dry. As you can see I'm going for the fake floor setup to allow water to be at the bottom of the vivarium without touching the substrate, not to cause mold but to keep high humidity. There will be one small little trinkling waterfall on the right side and the water will be heated and filtered from below :p.

CIMG1200.jpg

CIMG1202.jpg

CIMG1206.jpg

CIMG1207.jpg

If you have any questions or suggestions and such...well you know what to do I guess lol. I will be updating this until I get the Atb in it so keep an eye out!

Wow! Looks like you've put a lot of work into it... and will have to put a lot more into it as well! Good for you! Wish I could be as creative... but hey, we all have gifts - some of us just haven't found them yet (at age 40!). LOL.

Great job. Hope to see finished pics sometime soon!

Fred

Awesome! I've tried to do this before and not gotten as far as you have.. I'm not that handy. It looks like what I forgot to get was the zip ties. I tried holding the egg crate in place while waiting for the silicone to set.

My only question is.. is there some kind of dam that separates the false bottom from everything else or will the water just flow freely throughout the whole thing? I really wanted to do a water feature in my 30gal tank (once destined for PDFs, now I have a GTP in mind). All of the technical stuff freaked me out though!

Thanks for posting these pictures, I look forward to any progression pictures you have in the future. Keep up the good work!

Very creative and it's looking good so far! Can't wait to see the finished piece and the new snake :0)

Thanks a lot for the comments guys and yes; it was a piece of work. Lots of swearing, bleeding knuckles, moss blowing in the wind, exacto knife going into fingers...but I'm quite content with the ''finished'' piece. Please note that I still need to go pick up some aquarium rocks tomorrow to not have such a bare ''water hole'' with the egg crate flowing through.

The little ''waterfall'' or more of a trinkling stream was created using exo-terra's small submersible filter, hooked up to an appropriate sized tube of plastic attached at the outcoming end. There is also a second filter working without a tube just in case something doesnt work etc...better safe than sorry.

As for your question Jessicat, just in case the pictures don't answer it; The false bottom is just there - in my setup - to allow constant water flow throughout the bottom of the viv, which means under (but not touching) the substrate and flowing through the water hole. The water will be heated by the UTH to create a good amount of humidity in the tank.

The tube is attached to the outcoming flow of the filter
CIMG1209.jpg

Tube is passed through the fake floor
CIMG1210.jpg

CIMG1211.jpg

Moss is attached to the sides to hide the white ugly egg crate
CIMG1212.jpg

Simple heavy duty tape did the job
CIMG1213.jpg

Finished moss

CIMG1216.jpg

-Camera battery died-

The almost finished product...missing the mister and the aquarium pebbles.

CIMG1217.jpg

Trinkling water which is more like a small stream
CIMG1218.jpg

CIMG1220.jpg

CIMG1221.jpg

Very cool! Wouldn't it be neat if hatchling turtles stayed that size, and you could make little vivs for them like this and not have them turn into giant monster poop factories in a few years??

Wow... I have to reiterate... GREAT JOB! Looks very nice and clean! Congrats for the beautiful end product (of lots of hard work).

Just a question because I know next to nothing about ATB's... Will that house a full grown ATB? With all the work you put into it, it would be a shame for it to only live in there for 4-6 monts before you have to transfer it. LOL.

Kudos!
Fred

Thanks again for the comments - but as I said:It's not quite finished yet, and I finally made up on my mind on what Atb is coming home...:p
bb01_f_vamp_050808.jpg

Very cool! Wouldn't it be neat if hatchling turtles stayed that size, and you could make little vivs for them like this and not have them turn into giant monster poop factories in a few years??

Haha yeah, I'm always tempted to buy some when they are just fast little buggers in a tank, but the adult sizes would require me to house them in my pool :p.

Wow... I have to reiterate... GREAT JOB! Looks very nice and clean! Congrats for the beautiful end product (of lots of hard work).

Just a question because I know next to nothing about ATB's... Will that house a full grown ATB? With all the work you put into it, it would be a shame for it to only live in there for 4-6 monts before you have to transfer it. LOL.

Kudos!
Fred

Thanks a bunch! As for the final Atb size...well, a hatchling will last about 1.5 years in there seeing as I did take up a lot of room. So I'll be looking forward to making a bigger and better one for him when he outgrows the tank :D.

...So I'll be looking forward to making a bigger and better one for him when he outgrows the tank :D.

That ATB looks TOO KEWL! Wow!

Now, THAT's the spirit! :D Gotta love the motivation there.

Note to self... Turn off Monk, get off your butt and DO something, Fred!

Congrats!
Fred

Beautiful set up, It make my eyes water, and it warms my heart that youve offered to come to my house one of the next coming weekends and "pimp" my ATBs cribs, and you're offering to do it for free, all cause I introduced you to ATBs and put it into your head that you had to buy the beautiful male ATB youve selected.
AWWWW THANKS MAT (L)

Very very nice looking tank!! Great job!!! I like your snake as well..though I'm more for the GTP myself..lol

Awwwwww! He looks like he wants to give you a kissie!!!

Oh yeah! He's just full of love!;)

Very very nice looking tank!! Great job!!! I like your snake as well..though I'm more for the GTP myself..lol

Thanks a lot! I love GTPs as well, but the price is out of my reach :(. And, I only like the way they are when they are babies, the yellow and red confetti - but that's just me lol.

Anyways this thread is probably going to die now, so thanks to all of you of viewed and commented - I'll most likely post pictures of the little guy once he comes home in the Amazon Alliance forums.

Back