• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Good morning, Ms. Mantis!

Teddy Roosevelt

i loev cronsankes
Had a pleasant surprise this morning... a lovely visitor came to my porch. I offered her one of my dubias but she had no interest. She let me hold her! Don't worry, I was very gentle and so was she. I hope she lays eggs in our yard, I love these green guys!
DSCN0334.JPG

DSCN0335.JPG

DSCN0336.JPG

DSCN0339.JPG

DSCN0340.JPG

Aren't mantises the coolest? I wonder why she didn't want a dubia though. If I were her I would have.

I recently captured a dark brown one, kept it for a couple of days but let it go where I got it... She loved eating just about anything I gave her.

I've kept 2, (bought as pets, too cold for them here) and the short lifespan is the saddest thing about them.

Awesome! Out of all the bugs out there, I think Mantises....Mantisi....Manti......err.....the Preying Mantis is the second most cool. The first...at least for me...would be the dragonfly. ;) Great pictures!

I love those green terrors! I kept one female for almost 2 years. She laid an egg sack in her viv, so I moved her to a new one, and she kept on living--although I wouldn't say "thriving"--through the following summer. Her egg sac hatched that Spring and I released them into the wild (the ones that hadn't cannibalized each other, that is).

I, too, am surprised she didn't eat. Maybe she'd already laid her eggs and was just hanging on for a little while, yet?. Anyhoots, she's WAY cool!

Every so often, someone on Craigslist sells them. I've been tempted but see no reason to add yet another tank to my collection. Adding tubs are okay though. Lol

Back