• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Guess that herp!!!

Close but no. Though I wouldn't mind having one of those some day too...it would be like a mini slightly venomous anaconda :)

Ok ok... I guess that one was a bit too much. I'll throw in the towel. Its a Viperine Snake (Natrix maura). I saw one once at a reptile show in California a looooooooooooong time ago. Every time I've ever bring it up in discussion, no one has a clue what I'm talking about.

Ok Eric... I pass the torch to you. You were closest.

OK, here goes. (I've never posted a pick on this forum before.)
earth2.JPG

Ok ok... I guess that one was a bit too much. I'll throw in the towel. Its a Viperine Snake (Natrix maura). I saw one once at a reptile show in California a looooooooooooong time ago. Every time I've ever bring it up in discussion, no one has a clue what I'm talking about.

Ok Eric... I pass the torch to you. You were closest.
While everyone is trying to guess, just where is your Natrix maura native to?
And in this context, what does calling it a "viperine" snake mean?

They are native to France, and are called Viperine snakes because they look very similar to vipers, especially in threat displays, head shape (when threatened), and color schemes.

I know its a Virginia species (Earth snake), but I can't pin exactly which kind... Rough Earth Snake (Virginia striatula)?

They are native to France, and are called Viperine snakes because they look very similar to vipers, especially in threat displays, head shape (when threatened), and color schemes.
Cool. That Nerodia/Natrix look is unmistakable. And cool that you'd know they're distant relatives of Thamnophis.

I'll admit that I have a psuedo fascination with watersnakes, especially their temperaments and behavior. And I have a friend that is obsessed with all things Thamnophis. She is the one that spotted it at the herp show.

Ok, that leaves me with Smooth Earth Snake (Virginia valeriae elegans)?

I'll admit that I have a psuedo fascination with watersnakes, especially their temperaments and behavior. And I have a friend that is obsessed with all things Thamnophis. She is the one that spotted it at the herp show.

Ok, that leaves me with Smooth Earth Snake (Virginia valeriae elegans)?
Correct scientific name. Western Smooth Earth Snake. Excellent. They abound in garden district neighborhoods of the larger cities throughout Louisiana. Although I never even saw one until I was 30. I thought it was a rarity, until I had caught ten by noon one balmy March morning.

They are neat looking little snakes. How cool that you get to see them by you! I tend to miss out on the nifty forest herps.

Ok here's an easy one. I these little guys. Such nifty colors!

PSW.jpg

Back