• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gypsy is 965 grams...Viv ideas?

DLena

Corns are goram shiny!
Most people post about the little ones like Ayasha (20", 20grams), but I'm looking for viv ideas for my 4'long, 965 gram Gypsy. She's in a 40 gal breeder size Zilla. I just got her 2/25, and don't know if she was housed at BA in a rack or a viv. I had to adapt most things because my "biggest I could find" just wasn't going to work. I changed out her hides for cut down cardboard boxes, removed the branch because she showed no interest even after 10 days and it was wasting precious space, and changed out her round water bowl for a corner bowl to give her more cruising room. I had some sphagnum moss in the hides for comfort, but she has shoved it out. I watched her do it...hefted up side of the box with head and neck region, then kind of shimmied herself sideways until the moss was out, and then went back inside. I took the plants and did more of a sideways thing with them instead of upright because she can't climb them, but they could give her some coverage while travelling around. She has basically laid-waste to my finely planned, nicely presented viv,:awcrap: so I'm hoping for better, more size appropriate suggestions for overall set-up in general and nice-looking hides in particular.

For hides, my friend uses plastic kitten litter pans - easy to cut and smooth an entrance hole, and they're only a few dollars at walmart, often in several colors. You could use silicone to glue pebbles or stone tile scraps and decor to them, too. Or you could silicone two of slightly different sizes in a stack and make a little condo tower:)

If she's not interested in climbing anything, I'd add a branchy aquarium background to the back of the tank just for visual appeal. Hides the lack of tall things in the tank.

That sounds like a lot of weight for that length. Are you sure she isn't longer?

I believe it's right but I'm going to get a topview shot of her with a ruler and use the measuring widget for a more accurate measurement this evening. What kind of silicone? Is it in the crafting section at Walmart? They have bags of really pretty glass stones. Would those be safe to use on her hides?

The downside to silicone is that is tends to not stick well to plastics over time, even when the plastic has been roughed up for a better adhesive bite. That said, if you opt to use silicone, try to find GE Silicone I or DAP Brand 100% rubber silicone. Obviously the DAP stuff is as labeled 100% rubber silicone, but so is the GE Silicone I. Try to avoid any silicone that's intended for bath or kitchens as these typically contain mold and mildew inhibitors that off gas for some time. The 100% rubber silicone is aquarium safe and once cured will no longer off gas the wonderful acetic acid odor (vinegar odor). You can use aquarium silicone, as it's the same stuff as DAP 100% Rubber silicone or GE Silicone I, but it tends to cost more over the DAP or GE tubes - sometimes double the price.

As for hides, I use sterilite 6 quart shoeboxes filled with rehydrated coco fiber (Zoomed eco earth). I use a soldering iron to cut a hole in the lid wide enough for the snake to pass through after having eaten. She unfortunately passed last year, but even my 5 ft wild caught okeetee used this size hide and that was with her eating jumbo mice or small rats.

**If you opt to do the soldering iron thing, it's nice in that it will round out what would be a rough edge if cut by other means. However, you are melting plastic at this point and thus releasing volatile compounds. Do so in a well ventilated area.

A hide that my corns seem to really enjoy is made from silk 'ferns' and styrofoam. I angled the fronds into the styrofoam to different degrees to make it look like a fern and then buried the styrofoam base in the aspen. My adults AND babies love them and once I get my proper caging every snake I have will have one.

You guys have such awesome ideas of making your own hides....I love it!! I have always been told that my 40g tanks are plenty large enough for a full grown snake but alas I do not have a full grown snake yet so I'm not so sure!!!

Nicole

Well this is the viv for my 4'5 1038g Corn. The Viv is PVC and about 4'11 x 2' x 2'

Due to the wood there are plently of hides where I can and can't see him, he uses both options equaly well, sometimes he even lays on top of the plant/wood aragemant on the right side.
The plant in the middle is a sanseveria and I can always remove her, till now she does good and he like to go over the earth. The grey rock is selfmade and light weight, unfortunatly it was planed for an other purpose, otherwise I would have made a hide out of it.

24866691jb.jpg

24866689xo.jpg

Your viv is gorgeous! Gypsy is 965 grams and I want her to have room to cruise around. Yours looks very spacious, not crowded. My viv is 3 feet long by 1.5 feet deep by 1.5 feet high. Could you tell me the measurements of your hides?

I bought it of of my countrys 'ebay classifieds' for 80€ (normal price if you want it new is about 400€)

The plastic box with wet moss is 15,7" x 11,8" x 4,7" the cork on top is a bit smaller, the wood-house is 1' x 1' on the long eges (triangular) the cork stem is 1 feet diameter and hollow. the big wood root on the right are acually two about 15" each. the long branch is abaut 4'.

He loves to lay around the wetbox and look out of the glass doors.

Me? Heck no. It's a 40gal Zilla critter cage. I couldn't make an ashtray in art class 45 years ago... I am not creative (except to crochett afghans) which is why I so need to actually see what people are doing for their adult corns. I'm trying to be an excellent owner. I want to do the right stuff so they're happy and don't hide all the time. Ayasha, at 22 grams, cruises and hangs off the plant and thermometer screen. Gypsy, the adult I got about 3 weeks ago, is always on one of the hides. I feel bad for her.

Back